Future Realignment Possibilities? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 08:25:20 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Future Realignment Possibilities? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Future Realignment Possibilities?  (Read 8734 times)
PoliticalShelter
« on: August 22, 2017, 01:13:18 PM »

How is Kentucky more democratic than West Virginia. Especially when you consider that Kentucky has always been one of the more friendly states in the south to the GOP having been clintons closet state in the south and having voted for Nixon in 1960 and Eisenhower in 1956, and even being one of fords better states in the south.
And that isn't even considering the massive population losses that are occurring in the eastern part of the state, which would be the region most likely to return to these populist democrats.
PoliticalShelter
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2017, 01:34:44 PM »

My rough map.

I don't really like trying to predict where individual states will be, it's easier to try to predict the political trend in a region and say that it is broadly going to move to one party or another. For example I will predict that the southwest is going to move to the democrats, but i couldn't really predict whether Arizona will be core democratic state or if it is still a battleground state.
PoliticalShelter
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2017, 10:16:05 PM »

Anyone who thinks either the GOP or the democrats are going to become libertarian is utterly delusional.
PoliticalShelter
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2017, 03:53:42 PM »

Anyway, here's my realignment map if a left-populist Democratic party becomes the majority party, by the early 2030s:

The Democratic coalition is powerful but a skilled Republican can win in the Lean D states.

If a popular Orange County Republican runs in 2032 versus an uninspiring Democrat:

Your maps look good, but they do strike me as bit too much rooted in the 20th century. For example I don't think Washington would be more democratic than California at this point with the dramatic changes that have occurred in the state.
Also I doubt that a state like Mississippi would be more republican than states like Arkansa and Tennessee. The days of the whiter southern states being relatively unaffected by racial polarisation are over.
PoliticalShelter
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2017, 05:48:50 PM »
« Edited: August 25, 2017, 05:51:04 PM by PoliticalShelter »

Your maps look good, but they do strike me as bit too much rooted in the 20th century. For example I don't think Washington would be more democratic than California at this point with the dramatic changes that have occurred in the state.
Also I doubt that a state like Mississippi would be more republican than states like Arkansa and Tennessee. The days of the whiter southern states being relatively unaffected by racial polarisation are over.

I based a large part of my predictions off of where each state lies on the political spectrum. Washington is definitely still to the left of California on economic issues, and in such a situation I would expect the GOP to make inroads into California. The same situation applies for Louisiana and Arkansas - I think they would respond well to left-wing populism, but Mississippi and Alabama would not.

You are right in saying that this map is like that of the 20th century, however. I think that may be what happens; a sort of political redux into the New Deal era.

Also, Louisiana has the 2nd highest black population, after Mississippi.

Is it though? Sure the California of 1988 may be more economically right wing than the Washington of today, but the California of 2017 is a very different place. Large numbers of the white suburbanites that voted for Nixon/Reagan have left the state after the Cold War which led to the shrinkage of the defence industry causing them to move over to places like Arizona and Idaho. Meanwhile there has been a huge influx of Hispanics into the state and which has definitely pushed the state to left economically.

Washington meanwhile, is a state that doesn't even have a state income tax and is not exactly a social democratic paradise.
Overall I would personally switch California and Washington on that map.

As for Mississippi and Alabama, I assumed that the whites in those states would somewhat less hostile to the democrats in this alignment, just enough to make them competitive, after all you don't need to flip that many whites in the Deep South for the democrats to win those states.
PoliticalShelter
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2017, 02:35:08 PM »

Iowa is one of the most Republican states in the country while New Mexico is one of the most Democratic states.

I'm slightly curious as to why Kentucky and Tennessee vote so differently in this map. Both states have voted with each other since 1956 (having similar margins in almost every election) and I'm interested as to what makes those two states diverge from each other.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies