IL. Gov. race
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 10:20:30 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  IL. Gov. race
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: IL. Gov. race  (Read 6111 times)
ill ind

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: September 27, 2005, 11:42:35 AM »

The Il-17 district was created as it was for 1 reason and 1 reason only--to bring in heavily Democratic areas of Decatur and Springfield into the district to protect incumbent Democratic congressman Lane Evans who had a couple of really close races in is district's former layout.

As far as the Governor's race is concerned, there is indeed a huge amount of buzz concerning Jim Edgar entering.  Personally I still say he will say no due to health and family (Mrs. Edgar) reasons, but I've been wrong before.

Like I said earlier, he has a long way to go to win.  Despite his dismal approval numbers one would be very foolish to count out Rod B. yet.  Sometimes I think that the buzz is more about the Il GOP grasping at straws more than anything else.  They are grasping at anything that may give them some hope of victory.  We went through this last year with Edgar and then Mike Ditka possible getting into the race against Obama.

A big unknown out there now is the George Ryan trial.  A Chicago Sun-Times story today had Ryan's former chief of Staff Scott Fawell stating basically that Ryan only continued the dealings his predecessor did, but took it a bit higher.  Ryan's predecessor as S of S--Jim Edgar.  Before all is said and done, the Democratic spin machine is surely going to try and tie Edgar to the corruption in the Secretary of State's office under Geo. Ryan.

All and all, it's going to be a down in the mud political season for us in Illinois.  That's what Edgar has to face--even in the GOP primary.

Ill Ind
Sarnstrom
sarnstrom54014

« Reply #26 on: September 29, 2005, 07:31:35 PM »

Edgar will hold a new conference tomorrow, and now appears likely NOT to run for governor.
LINK: http://abclocal.go.com/wls/story?section=local&id=3490316
Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -3.49

« Reply #27 on: September 30, 2005, 04:21:44 PM »

Jim Edgar did indeed announce today that he is NOT running.

Edgar: No run for governor
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #28 on: September 30, 2005, 07:38:35 PM »

Other candidates who have been waiting in the wings will now have to commit on a run. In particular, Treasurer Topinka should announce her plans soon.
BobOMac2k2

« Reply #29 on: October 01, 2005, 11:00:04 AM »

Edgar just screwed the entire Republican party.

When are they going to learn...?
Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -3.49

« Reply #30 on: October 01, 2005, 04:59:30 PM »

I'm betting the GOP's next move is to recruit David Duke to move to Illinois and run for Governor.
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #31 on: October 01, 2005, 08:57:33 PM »

I'm betting the GOP's next move is to recruit David Duke to move to Illinois and run for Governor.

Don't confuse the situation last year after the Ryan affair hit the media with the current gubernatorial stiutation. The IL GOP pushed Jack Ryan as a favorite and secured a comforatble win for him, then found more baggage than they expected. There was disarray since no front runner could either get consensus, or could be persuaded to replace Jack.

There is a solid group of contenders this year, much like the same point in the 2003 Senate race. The primary will be a tough battle, but if Blagojevich is the nominee, the IL GOP will rally around their nominee. Obviously, who the nominee is will be central to the form of the general election campaign. But, I don't forsee any GOP faction siting out against Blagojevich in Nov 2006, regardless of the GOP nominee.
BobOMac2k2

« Reply #32 on: October 02, 2005, 01:14:40 PM »

Anyone who paid attention to this Edgar deal will see that the Republicans have no faith in any of the people left.

Nobody should have dropped out, or sidelined their campaign until Edgar made his decision.

They now look like sloppy seconds.
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #33 on: October 15, 2005, 02:24:13 AM »

Rich Miller is one of the state's top non-partisan pundits. He writes the daily Capitol Fax which is a must-read for the IL political world. He also has a weekly column, which points out the looming issue in the Guv's race. Blagojevich has tried to divert attention with a sweeping proposal for child health care. It remains to be seen if that will carry him past the building investigations.

You must be logged in to read this quote.
BobOMac2k2

« Reply #34 on: October 15, 2005, 07:27:01 PM »

I am losing faith...
Moooooo
nickshepDEM
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.65

« Reply #35 on: October 17, 2005, 08:50:42 AM »

Chicago Tribune article and Poll #'s

muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #36 on: October 17, 2005, 02:29:05 PM »

GRod is counting on his children's health care initative to boost his numbers. The plan has some people interested, but the public is not prepared to put a lot of trust there while scandals are popping up every week. His asset has been a lack of a GOP candidate to pull out of the pack as a standard-bearer.
BobOMac2k2

« Reply #37 on: October 18, 2005, 04:49:51 PM »

I am no longer worried.

I think he's going to pull through. I am going to say 60%
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #38 on: October 21, 2005, 10:00:04 PM »

I was a guest at State Treas Topinka's fundraiser this evening. She still has not decided about the governor's race, but announced that a decision will be made early next week. The punditry in the state are leaning toward a negative decision on Governor, and she will run for reelection as Treasurer instead.
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #39 on: November 07, 2005, 04:11:56 PM »

I was a guest at State Treas Topinka's fundraiser this evening. She still has not decided about the governor's race, but announced that a decision will be made early next week. The punditry in the state are leaning toward a negative decision on Governor, and she will run for reelection as Treasurer instead.

The punditry don't always get it right. Tongue

The big news this morning is that Topinka has decided that she will enter the GOP race for Gov. No official announcement, but every major media outlet is reporting the news. It looks like there will be a bruising battle in the GOP primary between the moderate and conservative factions.
ill ind

« Reply #40 on: November 07, 2005, 04:24:01 PM »

Unfortunately, or fortunately depending on which side of the aisle you stand, Muon 2's analysis that there will be a bruising primary in the Illinois GOP is probably indeed correct.  There is definitely no love lost between the conservative wing of the party and Judy Baar Topinka whom they blame for their defeats, the Kennedy assassination, the sinking of the Titanic and every other possible calamity that has happened.  By the same token, many of JBT's supporters have no use for what they consider the 'looney' right wing of the party.
  Should be good news for Rod-O, but who knows what an the feds investigations will lead to there.
  An interesting next 4 monthis in Illinois it will be.  Time to get on the roller coaster ride now.

Ill Ind
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #41 on: November 14, 2005, 04:22:29 PM »

The last week has all been about Topink'a entry on the GOP side. Some early poll numbers were reported by Rich Miller and others:

Now there's new talk on the Dem side, including this article in Sunday's Chicago Tribune.

Here's the story:
ill ind

« Reply #42 on: November 14, 2005, 04:34:54 PM »

If Eisendrath merely got his name on the ballot, it would suprise many pundits how many votes he would get.  14 million or not, Rod B is not exactly Mr. Popularity even in his own party.

Ill Ilm
ill ind

« Reply #43 on: November 14, 2005, 04:53:37 PM »

Rich Miller has it up on his Capitol Fax blog site that Edwin Eisendrath is indeed in the Democratic primary running against Gov Hairdo.  Should be an interesting spring.

Ill Ind
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #44 on: November 29, 2005, 09:39:56 AM »

The latest Survey USA numbers continue to look bleak for Blagojevich. He has remained at or near the current 38% approve, 57% disapprove response since May. This comes despite his highly publicized health care plan for Kids. There is talk that he may not formally announce for reelection until January - after the filing deadline in two weeks.

On the GOP side, State Treasurer Topinka will make a multi-city formal announcement tomorrow to run for Gov. That puts five candidates in the race for the GOP nomination. The other five constitutional offices are beginning to take shape as the filing deadline looms.
ill ind

« Reply #45 on: December 02, 2005, 09:56:21 AM »

Today Illinois GOP chairman Andrew McKenna is meeting with the 5 announced GOP candidates for governor.  It appears to be an effort to winnow the field a bit, and avoid a potentially divisive primary.
  As of right now all 5 candidates have stated that they are in for the long haul, however if I had to pick someone to get out, I say that it would have to be Ron Gidwitz who is still polling 4 or 5% havind already spent over 2 million on adds to get his name out there.
  I think it is McKenna's intention to have the party rally around Judy Baar Topinka and avoid the expense of a primary and be in a better financial, and image (no intra-party divisiveness) position, to take on Gov. Blago.  I don't know how effective it will be, as I doubt that all 4 challengers to Topinka will depart the race.

Ill Ind
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #46 on: December 07, 2005, 06:09:16 PM »

There are just a few days left before petition filing, and moves are still in the air.

Last week the chair of the state GOP sat down with the five announced candidates for Gov to encourage a shrinking of the field. That happened today, but not as expected. State Sen. Rauschenburger announced that he would instead run for Lt Gov with the intent of forming a ticket with former CEO and state school baord chair Gidwitz. Both Rauchenburger and Gidwitz were way back in the polls, so all are watching to see whether this alliance might result in an upswing for them.
ill ind

« Reply #47 on: December 16, 2005, 09:59:00 AM »

On Sunday morning, former Chicago alderman Edwin Eisendrath is going to announce his candidacy in the Democratic primary against incompetant.......er...... incumbent governor Rod Blagojevich.
  No pundits give him much of a chance, but here is where there may be a suprising showing because Blagojevich is intensely disliked even in his own party.  A good showing by Eisendrath will definitely show a weak Blagojevich.

Ill Ind
ill ind

« Reply #48 on: December 16, 2005, 10:36:21 AM »

I guess I forgot to add, that Eisendrath's first order of business will be staying on the ballot.  Illinois has  a history of totally archaic and assinine ballot challenges. i.e signatures thrown out becuae the collector had the wrong page number on the form and so forth.
  1 person (Tully) always does thge challenges for the Dems, and I expect some sort of challenge to Mr. Eisendrath's filing.
  Not to be outdone, the Republicans are just as guilty as GOP candidate Judy Baar Topinka's office has been investigated in connection with tossing the Libertarian Party off the ballot back in 1998.  Problem was that the work seems to have been done by her office employees on state time.
  Gotta love Illinois politics.

Ill Ind
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #49 on: December 17, 2005, 09:29:49 PM »

AP article on Eisendrath's entry into the Democratic primary.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies