How does Hillary Clinton's concession rank among historic GE concessions?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 02:42:41 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  How does Hillary Clinton's concession rank among historic GE concessions?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6
Poll
Question: How does Hillary Clinton's concession speech rank among historic general election concession speeches?
The best

One of the best

Medium

One of the worst

The worst

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 88

Author Topic: How does Hillary Clinton's concession rank among historic GE concessions?  (Read 7495 times)
Pericles
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 17, 2017, 04:56:18 AM »

What are your thoughts on Hillary Clinton's concession speech? Was it a good speech and a successful concession speech? Does it stand out in your opinion, either positively or negatively, from most general election concession speeches? Cast your votes!
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2017, 01:10:04 PM »

I'm a bit biased, but I think it was probably one of the most dignified and graceful things I've ever seen in American politics.
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2017, 01:16:53 PM »

I liked John McCain's and Jimmy Carter's more.

I cried watching Hillary's at first because I was so upset at the results by today it doesn't move me as much as it did initially.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2017, 01:47:59 PM »

It was alright, nothing special. Probably the best should could have done, given the circumstances.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2017, 02:08:18 PM »

Lot's of good one-liners.  I liked it.  One of the best.
Coraxion
Ethiopia

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2017, 03:03:26 PM »

I bet $1000 that the one who voted "the worst" is jfern.
Alabama_Indy10
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2017, 03:24:07 PM »

I cried watching Hillary's at first because I was so upset at the results by today it doesn't move me as much as it did initially.

You serious Clark?
SingingAnalyst
mathstatman
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2017, 03:36:50 PM »

I thought it was quite good.
Lord Admirale
Admiral President
YaBB God
United States Minor Outlying Islands

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -0.70

P P P

« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2017, 03:37:30 PM »

I thought she should've faced her supporters. They stuck by her all night, and I think they deserved a chance to hear her speak, even if it was a concession.
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2017, 04:47:48 PM »

You serious Clark?
Yes. I was heartbroken that the man who questioned Barack Obama's citizenship was going to be his successor. Problem?
Illini Moderate
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: -4.00

« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2017, 05:44:19 PM »

I voted one of the best. I was a tad bit teary eyed when I watched it because the woman fought her whole life for something just to suffer one of the worst defeats possible. Also it was one of the first time many saw her really let her guard down and you could just feel the disappointment. One of my female friends (who reluctantly voted Trump) actually cried because she never really thought Hillary would actually lose and really felt for her.

At the end of the day the woman has consistently remained graceful in the face of MANY setbacks (many of her own doing). She's been publicly humiliated on multiple occasions and for the most part has been stoic in her handling of each situation. It was sad to see a man who was completely unprepared, unqualified, and last but not least a racist, be elected over her. It was also frustrating that she made dumb mistakes and blew her chance to be the first female President. I still, always will believe that she deserved to be the first female President. And its kind of upsetting to know that she never will be. And its even more frustrating to know that her character has been assassinated so badly that she will never get the respect she deserves for her years of public service.
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2017, 06:34:37 PM »

I cried. It was hard to see the woman who has dedicated her entire life fighting for the disadvantaged and helpless being shot down in her biggest moment yet by a man who was fed with a silver spoon as soon as he was born. A man who has built his life around tearing others down. Her reputation and her bid for the presidency was tarnished by lies, hate, and arrogance by the GOP and Trump. She was angry, upset, and confused yet she got up there and did the hardest thing in American history: Conceding her seemingly inevitable presidency to someone as unqualified and hateful as Donald Trump. Her speech was the best one in history. 
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2017, 01:15:41 AM »

I get some solace knowing that history will so very clearly vindicate her. In 50 years people will look back and ask "how the f-ck did the country get this decision so wrong?"

And I'm even more sure that people will be able to see the sexism, misogyny, double standards, and false equivalence for exactly what it was.
catographer
Megameow
United States
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2017, 02:02:08 AM »

I voted one of the best. I was a tad bit teary eyed when I watched it because the woman fought her whole life for something just to suffer one of the worst defeats possible. Also it was one of the first time many saw her really let her guard down and you could just feel the disappointment. One of my female friends (who reluctantly voted Trump) actually cried because she never really thought Hillary would actually lose and really felt for her.

At the end of the day the woman has consistently remained graceful in the face of MANY setbacks (many of her own doing). She's been publicly humiliated on multiple occasions and for the most part has been stoic in her handling of each situation. It was sad to see a man who was completely unprepared, unqualified, and last but not least a racist, be elected over her. It was also frustrating that she made dumb mistakes and blew her chance to be the first female President. I still, always will believe that she deserved to be the first female President. And its kind of upsetting to know that she never will be. And its even more frustrating to know that her character has been assassinated so badly that she will never get the respect she deserves for her years of public service.

Amen to all that. Very brave woman, unfairly maligned in many ways. Her concession will be unique in the history books for its unexpected nature, how she couldn't give it on the actual night of her loss, and how somber it was.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2017, 11:45:16 AM »

She should've delivered it on election night, even if that meant crying through it.
Coraxion
Ethiopia

« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2017, 12:22:59 PM »

I don't think a Clinton presidency would be very glamorous, but would probably get a good amount done by the standards of divided government. And she's far more deserving of the presidency than her buffoon of an opponent. In the speech, you could see how disappointed she was. She dedicated years of her life to public service, only to lose and have her character assassinated. It was a pretty powerful speech. I think it was one of, if not the best concession speeches.
America's Sweetheart ❤/𝕿𝖍𝖊 𝕭𝖔𝖔𝖙𝖞 𝖂𝖆𝖗𝖗𝖎𝖔𝖗
TexArkana
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2017, 02:54:23 PM »

I thought it was fine, nothing amazing or especially tear jerking.
Young Conservative
youngconservative
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2017, 04:28:00 PM »

Just the fact she left her supporters outside who had waited for hours makes it among the worst.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2017, 05:48:31 PM »

I get some solace knowing that history will so very clearly vindicate her. In 50 years people will look back and ask "how the f-ck did the country get this decision so wrong?"

And I'm even more sure that people will be able to see the sexism, misogyny, double standards, and false equivalence for exactly what it was.

I see your point, but for all these factors still let's not forget it was Hillary's race to lose from day one. Let's just acknowledge she blew a winnable race to Donald f**king Trump.

I'm afraid she may be more remembered for such a failure rather than anything else, which is quite sad.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2017, 07:15:42 PM »

Just the fact she left her supporters outside who had waited for hours makes it among the worst.

Only people who already hate her care about that, her supporters don't.
Liberalrocks
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2017, 08:14:39 PM »
« Edited: August 19, 2017, 08:17:23 PM by Liberalrocks »

I was very emotional at the time and I did cry both on election night and during her speech. I couldnt study the words at the time as I was overcome with emotion. During the time since I have watched it more clear headed and it was a great speech. Considering the divisive tone of the campaign and how her character was constantly disparaged and thrown in the mud she was very gracious in defeat. Even in despair and defeat she was able to hold composure during that speech. Although I am a man, I did strongly appreciate how she spoke to the dreams and aspirations of young women reaffirming that they can be whatever they want to be. Despite this gut punch of a loss she will always be the first woman nominated by a major party and she carried the hopes and dreams of many of those young women she spoke to.
moderatevoter
ModerateVAVoter

« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2017, 09:13:15 PM »

I'm far from a Hillary fan, but I thought it was a good speech. I'd still say McCain's 2008 concession was better though.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2017, 05:01:24 AM »

I can't think of anything wrong with her speech(an election night speech at the Javits Centre may have been better). I'm not sure I can say it was the best but it was certainly in the top rank and did everything a good concession speech does.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2017, 05:57:25 AM »

And yes, while we may argue whether she should've come out on the election night no matter what, the following day's concession speech was good.
Shadows
YaBB God
« Reply #24 on: August 20, 2017, 06:35:08 AM »

It was mediocre, maybe a shade better at decent at best, not bad, not great. No surprise that the one who are crying & praising it to the moon are full on insane Hilary fans. Clinton seemed wooden, rehearsed, competent (like she is as a candidate) without many great lines. The best ones have a great emotional cord with humility & some good lines.

IMO Carter had a better one. Maybe McCain, but who cared then because of Obama's historic speech & the wait for that.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies