Protestors Topple Confederate Monument in North Carolina
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 12:18:59 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Protestors Topple Confederate Monument in North Carolina
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8
Author Topic: Protestors Topple Confederate Monument in North Carolina  (Read 10379 times)
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: August 15, 2017, 02:32:59 PM »

It is really remarkable that Americans are now further from achieving Lincoln's dream of national unity than they were in 1890; there are people in this thread right now who feel more animosity towards the Confederacy than did many of the men who actually fought against it.

That most of you seem to view the civil war as 'WWII on American soil' is an indictment of the American educational system.

And exactly why should we not feel animosity towards people who were fighting to protect slavery?

Everyone practiced slavery at that time including blacks in Africa who sold their siblings as animals, The left is pathetic.

Actually, the US was one of the last countries to abolish slavery and it needed a war to do it. It was the last functioning democracy to do so. Only Spain, Portugal, Brazil and a handful of semi autonomous Arab states had not abolished slavery by the time of the civil war.

If only some of these Deplorables would have taken their studies seriously in high school world history, they would have known such basic facts.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #51 on: August 15, 2017, 02:33:06 PM »

It is really remarkable that Americans are now further from achieving Lincoln's dream of national unity than they were in 1890; there are people in this thread right now who feel more animosity towards the Confederacy than did many of the men who actually fought against it.

That most of you seem to view the civil war as 'WWII on American soil' is an indictment of the American educational system.
And exactly why should we not feel animosity towards people who were fighting to protect slavery?

Everyone practiced slavery at that time

Not everyone. The United States of America did though.
Kamala
Madagascar

« Reply #52 on: August 15, 2017, 02:36:22 PM »

I'm about as anti-CSA as they come, but I think there is a difference between flying the Confederate flag (completely against this) and having a statue of a person who happened to be in a Confederate state (Robert E. Lee).  Robert E. Lee was an American general long before the Civil War, and a statue of him in his home state is no great offense.  With that said, I will agree with Grumps: if states and cities want to remove these statues and monuments, I will cheer that decision as an act of patriotism and putting behind us one of the darkest hours in the South's history, but vandalism is extreme.

On top of what others have said, Benedict Arnold was also a General in the Continental army before his treason, yet we don't see many statues of him around, do we? In the end, I would say that Lee's eventual defection to the Confederacy makes him a traitor in my eyes, despite being pardoned.
Daniel909012
Rookie
« Reply #53 on: August 15, 2017, 02:43:41 PM »

In Spain the monuments to Franco still are conserved and only the communists bet to remove them, State referendum in each state on the monuments, The violent left and antifa would refuse to know that the result would not favor them?
Kamala
Madagascar

« Reply #54 on: August 15, 2017, 02:52:07 PM »

In Spain the monuments to Franco still are conserved and only the communists bet to remove them, State referendum in each state on the monuments, The violent left and antifa would refuse to know that the result would not favor them?

This is literally false:

- All statues of Franco in the city of Santander were removed by 2008
- Ceuta's "Franco's feet" were removed in 2010
- Busts and statues in Madrid, Zaragoza, and Valencia were removed
- Large statues in Ferrol and Valencia were moved into museums
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #55 on: August 15, 2017, 02:56:04 PM »

This is literally false:

Daniel909012,
Please stop spreading Fake News. You and the Orange-Haired Clown are too alike.
Daniel909012
Rookie
« Reply #56 on: August 15, 2017, 03:11:46 PM »

This is literally false:

The monuments are only removed in the cities governed by the communists of Podemos or where the Psoe governs with iu, or in independentistas cities, And keeping them has won in multiple referendum.
https://www.google.com.mx/amp/www.elperiodico.com/es/amp/noticias/politica/unos-7700-simbolos-franquistas-sobreviven-catalunya-anos-despues-507777

https://www.google.com.mx/amp/www.elperiodico.com/es/amp/noticias/politica/resultado-consulta-monumento-franquista-tortosa-favor-mantenerlo-5165252

Even the monarchy and the ruling party were established by Franco.

Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #57 on: August 15, 2017, 03:13:09 PM »

Your employer needs to invest in some English lessons if they're going to pay you to troll on a full-time basis. Most Americans couldn't care less about what foreigners think in a domestic situation - you should at least be able to play the part convincingly if you're gonna do this.
Daniel909012
Rookie
« Reply #58 on: August 15, 2017, 03:17:55 PM »
« Edited: August 15, 2017, 03:23:39 PM by Daniel909012 »

Your employer needs to invest in some English lessons if they're going to pay you to troll on a full-time basis. Most Americans couldn't care less about what foreigners think in a domestic situation - you should at least be able to play the part convincingly if you're gonna do this.
By the way I have citizenship I am half American lol
The pathetic left is afraid of referendum.
Kamala
Madagascar

« Reply #59 on: August 15, 2017, 03:19:48 PM »

The pathetic left is afraid of referendum,

Looks like we have something in common with the Spanish government then.
Daniel909012
Rookie
« Reply #60 on: August 15, 2017, 03:27:26 PM »

The pathetic left is afraid of referendum,

Looks like we have something in common with the Spanish government then.
In terms of violence the Democrats are quite similar to podemos and bildu
Skunk
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.03, S: -9.48

« Reply #61 on: August 15, 2017, 03:30:16 PM »

Places where confederate monuments belong:

-in museums
-in the trash
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #62 on: August 15, 2017, 04:14:38 PM »

Why? The left is the one that wins the popular vote.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #63 on: August 15, 2017, 04:17:12 PM »

Durham (or Durham County) would have taken down the statue by now if the state legislature, which is highly gerrymandered to a Republican supermajority, hadn't passed a law making it impossible for local governments to remove confederate monuments without approval from a state historical commission.

But what is your position on how this monument came down?

I'm not a fan.
Daniel909012
Rookie
« Reply #64 on: August 15, 2017, 04:17:57 PM »

Not in the south and that's where the monuments are
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #65 on: August 15, 2017, 04:18:25 PM »

It is really remarkable that Americans are now further from achieving Lincoln's dream of national unity than they were in 1890

Yes, the U.S. of 1890 was a paradise of racial equality and unity compared to today. Jeez.
HisGrace
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #66 on: August 15, 2017, 04:21:20 PM »

I think if anyone's afraid of a referendum it's the people who freak out anytime someone suggests abolishing the electoral college.
TheSaint250
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -2.84, S: 5.22

P P
« Reply #67 on: August 15, 2017, 04:38:15 PM »

The Confederacy's legacy must only be looked at in museums to teach Americans what not to do again. It is disgraceful to honor it
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #68 on: August 15, 2017, 05:56:05 PM »

The Confederacy's legacy must only be looked at in museums to teach Americans what not to do again. It is disgraceful to honor it
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #69 on: August 15, 2017, 06:00:02 PM »

I mentioned this in another thread but it's probably better here.  Interesting article on the history of Confederate monuments: https://www.vox.com/identities/2017/8/15/16153220/trump-confederate-statues
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #70 on: August 15, 2017, 06:19:59 PM »

At least they didn't drive a car into a crowd of people and kill someone. Legal or not, one less confederate statue standing is hardly some big loss.
Cashew
United States

« Reply #71 on: August 15, 2017, 06:22:19 PM »

We need to stop pretending that the main motive behind constructing a monument is some vague, bland, and impartial desire to preserve history, because it's not. The Washington monument was created to honor Washington, the Lincoln memorial was created to Honor Lincoln, and likewise the various confederate monuments were intended to promote the confederacy. It is safe to assume that most monuments are intended to promote some idea, person, or ideology, the difference is that the causes that Washington and Lincoln fought for were both commendable, while the confederate is worthy of only revulsion.

Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #72 on: August 15, 2017, 06:52:34 PM »

www.heraldsun.com/news/local/counties/durham-county/article167300007.html

"The protester who climbed a ladder to help bring down a Confederate soldier statue was arrested Tuesday, and Sheriff Mike Andrews said his office will pursue felony charges against others."

Apparently she's a commie. Reds, Nazis, Confederates ... are we going to have Tories poping up next?

Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #73 on: August 15, 2017, 09:16:36 PM »

🇺🇸 🇺🇸 🇺🇸 🇺🇸 🇺🇸 🇺🇸 🇺🇸 🇺🇸

Thank you 👮. So great! So brave!
SNJ1985
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.19, S: 7.57

« Reply #74 on: August 15, 2017, 09:45:58 PM »

I don't know why modern leftists seem to think that all of the men who actually fought the Confederates and the Nazis would be on their side today.

If George S. Patton were alive today, he would almost certainly have a higher opinion of Trump and the alt-right than the modern left. Patton does not strike me as someone who would be marching in BLM rallies, fighting for ''LGBT rights'', preaching about ''white privilege'', etc. if he were alive today.

It was mostly white, working class Christian men (who comprise most of the Republican base today) that defeated the Confederates and the Nazis. I don't even think most of the men who served in the Red Army would be SJWs today. Just look at how right-wing Russia is nowadays.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies