Kamala Harris' husband is a white man. Will that be an issue w black voters?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:53:13 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Kamala Harris' husband is a white man. Will that be an issue w black voters?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Author Topic: Kamala Harris' husband is a white man. Will that be an issue w black voters?  (Read 14600 times)
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: August 19, 2017, 03:53:20 PM »

I doubt she gets far if she runs though, unless she has some political skills she hasn't shown yet, and kind of suspect she's likely to have a Rubio-esque moment in a debate.

I agree with you in the narrow sense that she's more likely to flop than not, but that's true of pretty much everyone in the field.  No one person is more than 50% likely to be the nominee at this point.  But I'd certainly give Harris a decent chance of being the nominee.  I'd surely put her in the top five.  I mean, serious question: If Harris isn't one of the top five most likely people to be the 2020 Dem. nominee, then who is?

Especially in the event that Biden and Sanders both decide not to run because of age/health, then who are the talented pols in the Democratic field who have actually shown an interest in a presidential run, who you think would outshine Harris?  Would Warren just run away with the nomination in that case, or do you have someone else in mind?
Dr. MB
MB
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

« Reply #51 on: August 22, 2017, 07:26:38 PM »

Nope. Didn't matter that Obama was half white or both Clintons WERE white. But we'll see if Harris runs, if she even wins the black vote.
Coolface Sock #42069
whitesox130
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.39, S: 2.26

« Reply #52 on: August 22, 2017, 11:16:58 PM »

If anything, their marriage could show the beauty in America's multiculturalism. It perfectly embodies California, and perhaps she could have a stronger  connection with White voters than Obama (but not as much as the overly nationalistic Trump).
What was wrong with Obama's connection with white voters? I don't think he was to blame for his 39% showing among whites in 2012... and at least he was able to hold the Rust Belt voters who flipped to Trump in 2016. His whole party lost white voters badly that year (and even worse in both subsequent election years), not just him.
White Trash
Southern Gothic
YaBB God

« Reply #53 on: August 23, 2017, 10:42:12 AM »

Barack Obama's mother was white. Was that an issue for black voters?

Black people are protective of black women. Some may think of her husband as a tool or a interloper.
How many Black people have you met?
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #54 on: August 23, 2017, 12:50:23 PM »

Barack Obama's mother was white. Was that an issue for black voters?

Black people are protective of black women. Some may think of her husband as a tool or a interloper.
How many Black people have you met?

My theory is that Bronz met one black guy back in like 1996 and hasn't left the house since.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #55 on: August 23, 2017, 04:47:48 PM »

Sure it'll be an issue with some black voters.

But overall it'll help her. A lot of the resentment against Democratic women is that they are seen as not being under the ownership of white men; particularly if those women are white. It is seen that these women should be the cheerleading brigade for white men, but aren't as they've joined the party of minorities. As a woman of color, white men have less of an ownership feeling towards Harris to begin with; being married to a white man only makes her even less threatening. In some ways she's the perfect Democratic woman to assuage white men's anxieties.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #56 on: August 23, 2017, 11:10:36 PM »

But overall it'll help her. A lot of the resentment against Democratic women is that they are seen as not being under the ownership of white men; particularly if those women are white. It is seen that these women should be the cheerleading brigade for white men, but aren't as they've joined the party of minorities. As a woman of color, white men have less of an ownership feeling towards Harris to begin with; being married to a white man only makes her even less threatening. In some ways she's the perfect Democratic woman to assuage white men's anxieties.

MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -8.78

« Reply #57 on: August 24, 2017, 01:53:26 AM »

🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #58 on: August 24, 2017, 02:21:20 AM »

kamala is not black! do you people have eyes?

She may be black in terms of how she thinks about herself, due to part of her ancestry.  But in terms of how she is perceived by many Americans, I think you are right.  I don't ever think of her as a black woman.  Whether blacks would tend to think of her as one of their own is a different question, and I really don't know the answer to that.

She's as black as Obama.

Among other things, Obama has also developed a speaking style that identifies him with a black oratory tradition. And in the literal sense of pigmentation, I would say Obama is closer to Harris' dad's skin tone than to hers.
Possiblymaybe
« Reply #59 on: August 24, 2017, 11:51:40 AM »

She may be black in terms of how she thinks about herself, due to part of her ancestry.  But in terms of how she is perceived by many Americans, I think you are right.  I don't ever think of her as a black woman.  Whether blacks would tend to think of her as one of their own is a different question, and I really don't know the answer to that.

She's as black as Obama.

Among other things, Obama has also developed a speaking style that identifies him with a black oratory tradition. And in the literal sense of pigmentation, I would say Obama is closer to Harris' dad's skin tone than to hers.

This thread lol

Obama and Harris look like siblings imo.

As for "developing a black speaking style" (whatever that means) I am gonna guess she will be fine.
" the family lived in a predominantly African-American neighborhood and where the girls sang in a Baptist choir" https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kamala_Harris
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #60 on: August 24, 2017, 04:19:20 PM »

No, she was married to the first black President.
Kamala
Madagascar

« Reply #61 on: August 24, 2017, 04:48:11 PM »

Guys, the last Democratic president was married to a black woman. I think we all know what this means.

De Blasio 2020.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #62 on: August 24, 2017, 05:33:36 PM »

Guys, the last Democratic president was married to a black woman. I think we all know what this means.

De Blasio 2020.

I think De Blasio is less popular than Bloomberg. He is too left wing for most non-Sanders voters, and too tied to Hillary for most Sanders voters, and generally is unpopular considering his constant fights with everyone.
Tintrlvr
Junior Chimp

« Reply #63 on: August 24, 2017, 06:58:10 PM »

De Blasio 2020.

I think De Blasio is less popular than Bloomberg. He is too left wing for most non-Sanders voters, and too tied to Hillary for most Sanders voters, and generally is unpopular considering his constant fights with everyone.

It was obviously a joke.
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #64 on: August 24, 2017, 07:01:39 PM »

White working class voters were a part of the Obama coalition.
Nope. They voted for McCain and Romney.
?

31 counties in Iowa flipped from Obama to Trump.

Macomb County, MI?

Erie County, PA?

Luzerne County, PA went from 52-47 (D) to 58-39 (R)
Those aren't the only "WWC" counties.
OK.... but it was enough to give the election to Trump....
Deblano
EdgarAllenYOLO
United States

« Reply #65 on: August 24, 2017, 07:12:47 PM »

LOL.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #66 on: August 24, 2017, 08:07:31 PM »

De Blasio 2020.

It was obviously a joke.

Yes, but in spite of what I say, De Blasio may well run.
Coolface Sock #42069
whitesox130
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.39, S: 2.26

« Reply #67 on: August 27, 2017, 01:16:16 PM »

Nowhere outside of Tumblr and a few insane black separatist groups. Don't be ridiculous.
Sirius_
Ninja0428
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.00, S: -7.91

« Reply #68 on: August 27, 2017, 07:00:21 PM »

Why would that matter? The spouse isn't the candidate.
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #69 on: August 29, 2017, 08:31:13 PM »

You could just as well ask if Harris having an Indian mother would be an issue with black voters.  I doubt either issue would be a problem for her should she choose to run.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #70 on: April 30, 2021, 01:31:03 PM »

So now while this unsurprisingly appears to not actually be an issue with black voters, it definitely has pissed off a pretty solid contingent of woke Twitter.

Thank God they do not matter.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #71 on: April 30, 2021, 01:39:54 PM »

So now while this unsurprisingly appears to not actually be an issue with black voters, it definitely has pissed off a pretty solid contingent of woke Twitter.

It's amazing how little daylight sometimes exists between the stances of very significant numerical minorities on woke Twitter, and extreme-right extremists.
Comes to show those are not the places where you usually find good, practical policy.
Bootes Void
iamaganster123
Junior Chimp
Canada

« Reply #72 on: April 30, 2021, 05:36:54 PM »

What is woke twitter pissed of about?
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #73 on: April 30, 2021, 05:38:54 PM »

What is woke twitter pissed of about?
They have the same position as the KKK on interracial marriage, but "from the left" (supposedly.)
Motorcity

« Reply #74 on: May 04, 2021, 10:48:44 AM »

Yes she is

In America, anyone with African ancestry is considered black. The legacy of the one drop rule is strong. That is why mixed race children are called either mixed or black, but never white. Kamala's father is from Jamaica, whose ancestry is from Africa.

Does the black community in the United States claim her as one of their own? For the most part. She isn't any different from Obama (whose father was from Kenya) but for some reason Obama was "one of them".

The black community consider Harris one of them, but not that much
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies