Kamala Harris' husband is a white man. Will that be an issue w black voters?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 11:51:18 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Kamala Harris' husband is a white man. Will that be an issue w black voters?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Author Topic: Kamala Harris' husband is a white man. Will that be an issue w black voters?  (Read 14594 times)
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: August 16, 2017, 08:27:30 AM »

kamala is not black! do you people have eyes?

She may be black in terms of how she thinks about herself, due to part of her ancestry.  But in terms of how she is perceived by many Americans, I think you are right.  I don't ever think of her as a black woman.  Whether blacks would tend to think of her as one of their own is a different question, and I really don't know the answer to that.

She's as black as Obama.
Possiblymaybe
« Reply #26 on: August 16, 2017, 09:00:12 AM »

She may be black in terms of how she thinks about herself, due to part of her ancestry.  But in terms of how she is perceived by many Americans, I think you are right.  I don't ever think of her as a black woman.  Whether blacks would tend to think of her as one of their own is a different question, and I really don't know the answer to that.

She's as black as Obama.

Well people policied his blackness too in the beginning. Biracial people seem to confuse some people.
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #27 on: August 16, 2017, 10:22:29 AM »

There's an element of the black community that would be against her because of this, but those are generally the type of people who don't vote.
Vega
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #28 on: August 16, 2017, 10:56:20 AM »

She would absolutely be thought of as Black by most people, as the One-drop rule still is the standard for many.
ProgressiveCanadian
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #29 on: August 16, 2017, 05:08:00 PM »

No, because rational people look at the ISSUES she stood for in the past and who funded her campaigns.
Kamala
Madagascar

« Reply #30 on: August 16, 2017, 05:29:48 PM »

No, because rational people look at the ISSUES she stood for in the past and who funded her campaigns.

Lol at the implication that the American voter is, in any way, rational.
Statilius the Epicurean
Thersites
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #31 on: August 16, 2017, 07:00:55 PM »

Hillary had a white husband too.
CMB222
United States

« Reply #32 on: August 16, 2017, 09:01:05 PM »

Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #33 on: August 17, 2017, 10:58:36 AM »

What kind of a question is this?
Wiz in Wis

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #34 on: August 17, 2017, 01:59:16 PM »

MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -8.78

« Reply #35 on: August 17, 2017, 04:38:46 PM »

A stupid question.
SATW
SunriseAroundTheWorld
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #36 on: August 17, 2017, 04:43:00 PM »

1. This isn't an issue
2. Kamala Harris is biracial, Indian and Black, and that isn't an issue for anyone, so why would her husband being white be one?
3. This is a stupid thread.

they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #37 on: August 17, 2017, 10:01:47 PM »

Obviously this thread is stupid but I think it's pretty obvious Kamala Harris is not the candidate the Democrats need in 2020 and I can't understand why anyone would. I guess a lot think "female Obama" but she is really not like Obama at all. Obama gained fame for his conciliatory tone and talking about uniting the country, plus during the campaign he actually talked about economic issues in the Rust Belt and even ran against NAFTA a bit, Harris isn't like that at all. She meanwhile had a pretty awful showing while badgering the CIA Director nominee about gay marriage and doesn't strike me as someone who could possibly appeal to WWC at all, I suspect her platform if she runs will be just boilerplate liberalism with no focus on the sort of things Obama had or wants. This isn't even because of race, if she were a white woman named Kimberly Harris she wouldn't be any better.

I doubt she gets far if she runs though, unless she has some political skills she hasn't shown yet, and kind of suspect she's likely to have a Rubio-esque moment in a debate.
BlueSwan
blueswan
Junior Chimp
Denmark

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -7.30

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #38 on: August 18, 2017, 01:45:21 AM »

If anything, their marriage could show the beauty in America's multiculturalism. It perfectly embodies California, and perhaps she could have a stronger  connection with White voters than Obama (but not as much as the overly nationalistic Trump).
Possiblymaybe
« Reply #39 on: August 18, 2017, 08:26:39 AM »

I doubt she gets far if she runs though, unless she has some political skills she hasn't shown yet, and kind of suspect she's likely to have a Rubio-esque moment in a debate.

I agree with a lot of your post but I think Booker is more like Rubio. In fact Booker arguably gets more flustered than Rubio does (his interview with Jake Tapper after the Bernie pharma amendment debacle was cringeworthy).

Harris strikes me more as a Scott Walker figure. Great on paper and a capable speaker but might not have the "it" factor.

Actually I would say the main thing Harris has going for her right now is the it factor. 
She's charismatic and personable I could see her do very well on the talk show circuit for instance.

The idea that she's non conciliatory is probably based on the senate hearings when she slipped into prosecutor mode. Seen enough to know that's not all there is.Actually think she sometimes needs to be bolder, more Bernie or warren than Obama, because the political climate in the trump era is different from what it was when Obama emerged.  But you also have to acknowledge that black politicians have a  trickier job in terms of walking the fine line between being seen as outspoken and "angry black male/female".
Out of the two black contenders.Booker strikes me as someone who is always in serious speech mode (which he's admittedly quite good at) Harris seems a lot more relaxed in public speeches and gets bonus points for being quite funny. He just doesn't seem as quick witted and sharp as her so I think she'd probably do better in debates. 

Her problems re 2020 is imo her lack of experience and being too left on things like gun control and immigration for a GE. I think 2020 is too soon for her. I'd imagine she will be on every white male candidate short list as VP though.
Coraxion
Ethiopia

« Reply #40 on: August 18, 2017, 09:03:55 AM »

doesn't strike me as someone who could possibly appeal to WWC at all
That won't be necessary.
Shadows
YaBB God
« Reply #41 on: August 18, 2017, 09:18:59 AM »

I agree with a lot of your post but I think Booker is more like Rubio. In fact Booker arguably gets more flustered than Rubio does (his interview with Jake Tapper after the Bernie pharma amendment debacle was cringeworthy).

Harris strikes me more as a Scott Walker figure. Great on paper and a capable speaker but might not have the "it" factor.

Agreed. I think Gillibrand is positioning herself well. Klobuchar is also a reasonable candidates for the moderate wing. Booker is worse than Harris. He retweets cringe worthy praises & replies to dozens of ridiculous fan queries & hate tweets. He also seems fake & flustered easily.

Harris is probably better than Booker & is smarter & more composed but looks dull/uninspiring. If she is smart she will wait for 2024. She is not ready. Her inexperience showed during the CIA Director questioning. Al Franken would have been a terrific candidate (maybe not a good president but would be a good campaigner).
James Monroe

« Reply #42 on: August 18, 2017, 11:02:35 AM »

doesn't strike me as someone who could possibly appeal to WWC at all
That won't be necessary.

WWC are not the base of the Democratic Party. Chuck Schumer and Tom Perez have made a giant blunder in trying to reach out to racist, misogynist Trump supporters. With Kamala Harris she is going to excite the Obama coalition and have those coattails be helpful in defeating Trump. We should be targeting voter suppression and get the vote out in communities that have been threatened by Republican tactics, not a group of white people who have voted in a white supremacist.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #43 on: August 18, 2017, 11:05:40 AM »

White working class voters were a part of the Obama coalition.
Possiblymaybe
« Reply #44 on: August 18, 2017, 11:53:50 AM »
« Edited: August 18, 2017, 11:55:54 AM by Possiblymaybe »

Agreed. I think Gillibrand is positioning herself well. Klobuchar is also a reasonable candidates for the moderate wing. Booker is worse than Harris. He retweets cringe worthy praises & replies to dozens of ridiculous fan queries & hate tweets. He also seems fake & flustered easily.

Harris is probably better than Booker & is smarter & more composed but looks dull/uninspiring. If she is smart she will wait for 2024. She is not ready. Her inexperience showed during the CIA Director questioning. Al Franken would have been a terrific candidate (maybe not a good president but would be a good campaigner).

Totally agree she's not ready but klobuchar and gillibrand better positioned?
Are we talking primary or GE here? Only if Harris and booker split the black vote would they be better positioned.
Harris is simultaneously overhyped and underestimated on atlas, she's easily the most viable of the "younger" females despite lack of experience. Klobuchar is a solid politician and more well rounded on policy right now but she's extremely bland and won't energise people on the campaign trail.Gillibrand is much better at this but just from what I see on social media Harris seems to excite people more, especially females and POC. I think she would have a much bigger tent. In a primary perhaps Gillibrand would play better to a certain type of white voter. But I can also see Trump crush her in debates.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #45 on: August 18, 2017, 03:50:38 PM »

She would absolutely be thought of as Black by most people, as the One-drop rule still is the standard for many.

The one-drop rule dies when people who have thought themselves 100% white get a fgenetic test that disproves such.
Coraxion
Ethiopia

« Reply #46 on: August 18, 2017, 05:13:39 PM »

Nope. They voted for McCain and Romney.
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #47 on: August 18, 2017, 05:43:38 PM »

?

31 counties in Iowa flipped from Obama to Trump.

Macomb County, MI?

Erie County, PA?

Luzerne County, PA went from 52-47 (D) to 58-39 (R)
Coraxion
Ethiopia

« Reply #48 on: August 19, 2017, 11:54:06 AM »

?

31 counties in Iowa flipped from Obama to Trump.

Macomb County, MI?

Erie County, PA?

Luzerne County, PA went from 52-47 (D) to 58-39 (R)
Those aren't the only "WWC" counties.
Saint Milei
DeadPrez
Atlas Politician
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -7.91

« Reply #49 on: August 19, 2017, 11:57:33 AM »

I get what the OP is saying, but probably not.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies