Northern Plains (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 11:09:46 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Northern Plains (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Which of these states will be the next to go Democrat?
North Dakota

South Dakota

Nebraska

Montana

None of these will ever ever ever go Democrat

They will all go Democrat in the same election

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 41

Calculate results by number of options selected
Author Topic: Northern Plains  (Read 4009 times)
Virginian87
YaBB God
Political Matrix
E: -3.55, S: 2.70

« on: August 18, 2005, 03:51:26 PM »

I'd say either South Dakota or Nebraska is the most Republican state of this group.  But Montana will be the first of this group to go Democrat.  Montanans like Democratic Governor Brian Schweitzer, giving him a 57 percent approval rating, higher than either of his two Republican predecessors at this point in their tenures.  I believe Democrats also took control of the state legislature last November as well.  Sen. Max Baucus, a pro-choice, pro-gun, pro-death penalty Democrat, has an approval rating of 58 percent.  

Although Republican Sen. Conrad Burns has approval ratings near there, he barely won re-election over Schweitzer in 2000.  He may also be linked to a scandal involving Jack Abramoff.  Burns allegedly received over $136,000 in campaign contributions through Abramoff and then directed $3 million to the Saginaw Chippewa Tribe of Michigan, an Abramoff client and one of the wealthiest tribes in the country from a program intended to help the neediest tribes fix delapidated schools.  He faces a battle against either Montana State Senate President and organic farmer Jon Tester or Montana State Auditor John Morrison next year, both of which appear to me to be populist-leaning Democrats.  If someone could elaborate on that, that would be helpful.

I think with a moderate, populist-leaning Democrat, Montana could be carried in a presidential election.  It is not impossible.
Virginian87
YaBB God
Political Matrix
E: -3.55, S: 2.70

« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2005, 08:05:50 AM »

Why do you say that?  Perhaps North Dakota, but if you recall South Dakotans just booted the Senate Minority Leader last year.  Though with military base closures there, perhaps things might change.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies