Second Miscellany Bill

(1/9) > >>

Emsworth:
Second Miscellany Bill

Section 1
Whenever an Act which repealed a former Act is repealed, said former Act shall not thereby be revived, unless expressly so provided.

Section 2
The following Acts or sections are hereby repealed:

Anti-Drug Testing Act
Stickies, Posts, and Polls Reduction Act
PPT Election Act
Boss Abortion Act
Federal Activity Act
Section 3 of the Miscellany Act
Constitutional Amendment Act
Unwed and Teenage Mothers Protection Act

Sponsor: Sen. Colin Wixted

Sam Spade:
Is the Anti-Drug Testing Act unconstitutional or not?  (I think I've asked this question before)

Otherwise, I have no problems with this legislation.

Emsworth:
Section 1: This is essentially a clause taken from the real-life U.S. Code; it exists to prevent any doubts or misinterpretations of statutes when a number of repeals have occurred.

Section 2:

Anti-Drug Testing Act: This law forbids drug testing in schools under certain circumstances. I think that it is an unconstitutional and unreasonable encorachment of the powers of the regions.

Stickies, Posts, and Polls Reduction Act: This act is obsolete, probably unconstitutional, and unnecessary. It attempts to regulate the number of posts and polls on the fantasy board; I doubt that it has ever been enforced.

PPT Election Act: The Act has been superseded by new and updated Senate resolutions.

Boss Abortion Act: The statute regulates abortions, when the legality of abortions is a matter that should be left up to the regions.

Federal Activity Act: The Act has been declared unconstitutional, because it seeks to automatically remove inactive officers from their positions, even though the Constitution specifically sets out procedures for impeachment and expulsion.

Section 3 of the Miscellany Act: The Section attempts to regulate party platforms, a matter in which the federal government should not be involved.

Constitutional Amendment Act: The procedure set out by this act has been superseded by the new Constitution.

Unwed and Teenage Mothers Protection Act: This act has been found by the Supreme Court to be an unconstitutional exercise of unenumerated powers.

Peter:
Quote from: Emsworth on August 17, 2005, 10:58:24 PM

Anti-Drug Testing Act: This law forbids drug testing in schools under certain circumstances. I think that it is an unconstitutional and unreasonable encorachment of the powers of the regions.

Just so you all know, I have statedly disagreed with this interpretation. Whether a Court will ever need to rule on it, and how, is another question.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

This Act contains the legislative mandate for the HQ thread on the Elections board - The Vice President has previously claimed that the Moderators know what to moderate, but given we've had problems getting a new HQ thread up of late, I tend to disagree.

And indeed since my time as Attorney General, this law has been effectively dead since by administrative decree the DoJ has declined to enforce.

Thats not so much what it is about. This was passed at a time when the Senate passed a constitutional amendment allowing a party with one elected official and a party platform to be an officially recognised party. Texasgurl (in whatever incarnation of the Raving Feminist Bitch Party she was in at the time) decreed that her platform was simply to get herself re-elected. Everybody correctly came to the conclusion that this made an ass out of the law. We put in some regulation to ensure that people actually wrote a sensible platform for it to qualify.

Regardless, given that under our new constitution such happenings are not possible, we can happily get rid of the Section.

Gabu:
I'm feeling like this bill should be split into two bills, with each section being a separate bill.  Section 1 seems to be a lot less controversial than Section 2, and I can't really see any cohesive connection between either section.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page