The quintessential swing state
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 09:40:27 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  The quintessential swing state
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Which is it?
Nevada

Colorado

Iowa

Minnesota

Wisconsin

Michigan

Ohio

Virginia

Florida

Pennsylvania

New Hampshire

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 67

Calculate results by number of options selected
Author Topic: The quintessential swing state  (Read 2094 times)
cvparty
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 05, 2017, 10:19:21 AM »

Which one of these states would you consider the quintessential swing state? i.e. it's competitive between the two parties in a close election and reflects the country as a whole? Consider presidential elections as well as the state's politics at large.

(You can choose up to 3 if it's hard to choose only one)
TheSaint250
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -2.84, S: 5.22

P P
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2017, 10:42:54 AM »

Easily Florida.
cvparty
United States

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2017, 10:57:02 AM »

I think Florida's too Republican leaning. Absolutely, it's a perfect swing state in presidential elections because it's always close, but relatively, it's always more Republican than the country. In 2012 Obama won comfortably but barely held on to Florida, and even in 2008 when Obama won the country in a landslide Florida was still close. And in local politics Republicans completely dominate.
TheSaint250
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -2.84, S: 5.22

P P
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2017, 11:04:38 AM »

I think Florida's too Republican leaning. Absolutely, it's a perfect swing state in presidential elections because it's always close, but relatively, it's always more Republican than the country. In 2012 Obama won comfortably but barely held on to Florida, and even in 2008 when Obama won the country in a landslide Florida was still close. And in local politics Republicans completely dominate.
I guess that makes sense. I actually just looked back at state legislature makeups. I never really realized how long FL's legislature had been GOP dominated
cvparty
United States

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2017, 11:15:46 AM »
« Edited: August 05, 2017, 11:19:55 AM by cvparty »

I would say New Hampshire. It's always close to how the country votes (it actually leaned Republican in 2016 and nearly flipped). Also, it has a Republican governor and a Republican state legislature, but on the national stage it has 2 Democratic senators and 2 Democratic House reps.
Skunk
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.03, S: -9.48

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2017, 12:11:05 PM »

Before 2016 I probably would've said Nevada. 1 GOP and 1 Dem Senator, two competitive House districts, voted for the election winner every time since 1976, etc.

Demographic trends have made it to Democratic-leaning though, so it's lost that status.
PragmaticPopulist
Ireland, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -5.57

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2017, 01:01:59 PM »

The only state right now that is a swing state without a doubt is Florida. After that I guess it could be New Hampshire, though right now it's reminding me a lot of Wisconsin in the '00 and '04 elections when Gore and Kerry won in a nail-bitter.

Michigan, Pennsylvania, and Wisconsin, in that order from most to least likely to flip, are also in question. Whether 2016 was a one-off due to unique circumstances remains to be seen. Kind of like Indiana in '08.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2017, 02:02:52 PM »

JGibson
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.00, S: -6.50

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2017, 06:30:12 PM »

Florida and New Hampshire.
AN63093

Political Matrix
E: 0.06, S: 2.17

« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2017, 06:36:56 PM »
« Edited: August 05, 2017, 06:38:52 PM by AN63093 »

cvparty, your questions are confusing.

A swing state is a state that can be reasonably won by either party, but then you state you are looking for states that "reflects the country as a whole."  Well, those are two different things.  For example, NH is a swing state, but is most certainly not a US in miniature.

A state like OH might be a candidate for that, in that it has a good mix of urban areas and rural, and its urban areas are a mix of different types, i.e., it has MSAs that resemble old-style rust-belt cities (Cleveland) and metros that have new economies and hot growth like the Sun Belt (Columbus).  But then it seems like you want to know what the closest states are, and OH doesn't fit in that category either.

The closest state in the US was MI last cycle, but I don't think is a perennial toss-up, nor does it most closely resemble the country as a whole.

So what exactly is it that you are asking?
Ye We Can
Mumph

« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2017, 02:55:34 AM »

New Hampshire.
Strudelcutie4427
Singletxguyforfun
United States

« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2017, 09:32:36 AM »

Florida, New Hampshire, and Pennsylvania
cvparty
United States

« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2017, 02:09:40 PM »
« Edited: August 06, 2017, 02:18:04 PM by cvparty »

A swing state is a state that can be reasonably won by either party, but then you state you are looking for states that "reflects the country as a whole."  Well, those are two different things.  For example, NH is a swing state, but is most certainly not a US in miniature.

A state like OH might be a candidate for that, in that it has a good mix of urban areas and rural, and its urban areas are a mix of different types, i.e., it has MSAs that resemble old-style rust-belt cities (Cleveland) and metros that have new economies and hot growth like the Sun Belt (Columbus).  But then it seems like you want to know what the closest states are, and OH doesn't fit in that category either.

The closest state in the US was MI last cycle, but I don't think is a perennial toss-up, nor does it most closely resemble the country as a whole.

I don't mean an absolute swing state but a relative swing state. one that's like the country. When I say a state reflects the country what I mean is just with respect to political strength, not its urban-rural landscape and demographics per se (although those tend to be strong factors of political strength).
For example Democrats have had an advantage in presidential elections in the recent past. They've led in the popular vote 6 times in the past 7 elections. A relative swing state would tend to vote for Democrats in those elections. In close elections, it would be competitive, and if the country votes in a landslide for Republicans (or Democrats), it would do the same. Absolute and relative overlap somewhat especially these days, since it's polarized and presidential elections tend to be close.
AN63093

Political Matrix
E: 0.06, S: 2.17

« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2017, 08:12:49 PM »

It sounds like you're just wondering what the state closest to the national PV is.  For '16 that was NV, for '12 it was VA.  I'm not sure either state is a 'quintessential' swing state, in fact, VA may not be a swing state at all anymore.

If we're looking at states that have generally been close to the national PV over time.. VA was the closest from '08-'12, but as of '16, those days are probably over, as it's trending D faster than CO and WA by now.  Before '08, it was NV in '04. 

So NV has popped up a couple times, but I hesitate to predict it'll be that close to the national PV going forward.

If we're trying to figure out what states are generally within a couple % of the national PV going back 20, 30 years... I don't have time to run all the calculations right now, but just by eyeballing it... maybe NH?
cvparty
United States

« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2017, 08:56:15 PM »
« Edited: August 06, 2017, 08:57:58 PM by cvparty »

It sounds like you're just wondering what the state closest to the national PV is.  For '16 that was NV, for '12 it was VA.  I'm not sure either state is a 'quintessential' swing state, in fact, VA may not be a swing state at all anymore.

If we're looking at states that have generally been close to the national PV over time.. VA was the closest from '08-'12, but as of '16, those days are probably over, as it's trending D faster than CO and WA by now.  Before '08, it was NV in '04.  

So NV has popped up a couple times, but I hesitate to predict it'll be that close to the national PV going forward.

If we're trying to figure out what states are generally within a couple % of the national PV going back 20, 30 years... I don't have time to run all the calculations right now, but just by eyeballing it... maybe NH?
I don't just mean presidential elections, I mean the politics of the states in general - states that are comfortable with either party and back and forth vote both parties into power in the senate, house, state senate and house, governorships, etc.
Technocracy Timmy
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2017, 09:01:50 PM »

It sounds like you're just wondering what the state closest to the national PV is.  For '16 that was NV, for '12 it was VA.  I'm not sure either state is a 'quintessential' swing state, in fact, VA may not be a swing state at all anymore.

If we're looking at states that have generally been close to the national PV over time.. VA was the closest from '08-'12, but as of '16, those days are probably over, as it's trending D faster than CO and WA by now.  Before '08, it was NV in '04.  

I don't just mean presidential elections, I mean the politics of the states in general - states that are comfortable with either party and back and forth vote both parties into power in the senate, house, state senate and house, governorships, etc.

Oh well then it can't be Florida. Tongue The Democrats do fine in the state at the national level but they're God awful at the state and local level politics there.
Alabama_Indy10
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2017, 09:18:52 PM »

Ohio.
Technocracy Timmy
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2017, 09:34:01 PM »

I voted Ohio as well. It seems to be the best state given OP's description. All it's missing are Hispanics I think (and it might tilt a little more republican than the nation at large).
Senator-elect Spark
Spark498
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: 0.00

P P P
« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2017, 10:09:05 PM »

Florida by far
BlueDogDemocrat
United States

« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2017, 10:45:59 PM »

It has to be Florida mostly due to its results always being close in the presidential elections witch decides such a big amount of electoral votes.
100% pro-life no matter what
ExtremeRepublican
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2017, 11:35:48 AM »

Florida consistently has a very faint reddish tinge to the purple.  I think Pennsylvania, Wisconsin, and New Hampshire are all good options, though WI may wind up being another Iowa/Missouri.  Also, I think we are heading towards Minnesota being on that list, though it's not there yet.  Nevada is also stubbornly hanging on for now.
Alabama_Indy10
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2017, 04:04:22 PM »

Quintessential - Representing the most perfect or typical example of a quality or class
Lord Wreath
Rookie

Political Matrix
E: 8.92, S: -4.51

« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2017, 06:31:38 PM »

Easily Florida; it's always close.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies