Sun and Moon - The Presidential Election of 2040
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 06:50:25 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  Sun and Moon - The Presidential Election of 2040
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 14
Author Topic: Sun and Moon - The Presidential Election of 2040  (Read 47641 times)
jojoju1998
1970vu
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: July 28, 2017, 06:45:23 PM »

This is a great timeline and it really makes me kind of excited to see an Asian as President.....

May I suggest something ? TD's Between the Two Majorities Timeline I believe is a great reference Point for anyone really.

This timeline was actually inspired by Between Two Majorities, and a lot of what happens is based off of that. I created this timeline to give a more human face to the abstract ideas that TD outlines in his timeline.

So there's a Richard Cordray ?

Can you also do a list of all the Presidents ? And..... the Republican Asian Woman President looks pretty hot..... What ?
Unapologetic Chinaperson
nj_dem

« Reply #26 on: July 28, 2017, 08:18:33 PM »
« Edited: July 28, 2017, 08:29:39 PM by NJ is Better than TX »

This is a great timeline and it really makes me kind of excited to see an Asian as President.....

May I suggest something ? TD's Between the Two Majorities Timeline I believe is a great reference Point for anyone really.

This timeline was actually inspired by Between Two Majorities, and a lot of what happens is based off of that. I created this timeline to give a more human face to the abstract ideas that TD outlines in his timeline.

Can you also do a list of all the Presidents ? And..... the Republican Asian Woman President looks pretty hot..... What ?

I originally considered having a President Cordray, but I personally don't think he's ever going to be President. There is someone like him, but I can't tell you yet, because that will spoil the timeline. Wink

As for your second point: in-universe, by the 2030s the United States has become an even more beauty-conscious society than it is now, thanks to the proliferation of new and inexpensive beauty and plastic surgery treatments. And as the party of the rich, the Republican party is also the party of beauty, so it doesn't hurt to be above average-looking.

But back to the meta: both the photos for President Sun and Governor Glass are of real people. Challenge: If you (or anyone else) can figure out who they are, I'll let you name a character and give you a lot of brownie points. Hint: I didn't choose their first names by accident.
The Govanah Jake
Jake Jewvinivisk

Political Matrix
E: -2.39, S: -5.30

« Reply #27 on: July 28, 2017, 08:27:34 PM »

I originally considered having a President Cordray, but I personally don't think he's ever going to be President. There is someone like him, but I can't tell you yet, because that will spoil the timeline. Wink

As for your second point: both the photos for President Sun and Governor Glass are of real people. Challenge: If you (or anyone else) can figure out who they are, I'll let you name a character and give you a lot of brownie points. Hint: I didn't choose their first names by accident.

Crystal Sun is https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Krystal_Jung

Amber Glass is https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amber_Liu_(singer)
Unapologetic Chinaperson
nj_dem

« Reply #28 on: July 28, 2017, 08:30:47 PM »

As for your second point: both the photos for President Sun and Governor Glass are of real people. Challenge: If you (or anyone else) can figure out who they are, I'll let you name a character and give you a lot of brownie points. Hint: I didn't choose their first names by accident.

Wow...that is fast. You are correct on both counts, and you will be duly rewarded.
The Govanah Jake
Jake Jewvinivisk

Political Matrix
E: -2.39, S: -5.30

« Reply #29 on: July 28, 2017, 08:33:39 PM »

Wow...that is fast. You are correct on both counts, and you will be duly rewarded.

The power of Google Images at work
jojoju1998
1970vu
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #30 on: July 28, 2017, 09:44:33 PM »

As for your second point: in-universe, by the 2030s the United States has become an even more beauty-conscious society than it is now, thanks to the proliferation of new and inexpensive beauty and plastic surgery treatments. And as the party of the rich, the Republican party is also the party of beauty, so it doesn't hurt to be above average-looking.

But back to the meta: both the photos for President Sun and Governor Glass are of real people. Challenge: If you (or anyone else) can figure out who they are, I'll let you name a character and give you a lot of brownie points. Hint: I didn't choose their first names by accident.

So are you a fan of Korean Pop Singers ? What happened to Pence ? How does Elise Stefanik get chosen for Vice President ? It's kind of like the Clinton Gore Thing isn't it ? How is Trump doing ? Does Single Payer get passed ? What happens to China ? Russia ? North Korea ?

How is the Economy doing ? What happens to the Alt Right People ? Paul Ryan ? Marco Rubio ? Ted Cruz ?
Unapologetic Chinaperson
nj_dem

« Reply #31 on: July 28, 2017, 10:02:25 PM »

So are you a fan of Korean Pop Singers ? What happened to Pence ? How does Elise Stefanik get chosen for Vice President ? It's kind of like the Clinton Gore Thing isn't it ? How is Trump doing ? Does Single Payer get passed ? What happens to China ? Russia ? North Korea ?

How is the Economy doing ? What happens to the Alt Right People ? Paul Ryan ? Marco Rubio ? Ted Cruz ?

First question: I used to listen to K-pop a lot. Not so much now, but I still respect them, and when coming up with names I figured "Hey, some of them have some cool names."

Third question: Stefanik was chosen for her relative moderation as the entire Republican Party moderates in this timeline. TD actually chose her to become President in his timeframe, so my choice of her as VP (and Joaquin Castro as the defeated Democratic incumbent) was a homage to that.

Other questions: Patience, young person, these will be answered as the story unfolds.
P. Clodius Pulcher did nothing wrong
razze
Junior Chimp
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -4.96

« Reply #32 on: July 28, 2017, 10:05:02 PM »

Krystal Jung for Sun, and Amber Liu for Glass. What do I win?
jojoju1998
1970vu
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #33 on: July 28, 2017, 10:15:33 PM »

First question: I used to listen to K-pop a lot. Not so much now, but I still respect them, and when coming up with names I figured "Hey, some of them have some cool names."

Third question: Stefanik was chosen for her relative moderation as the entire Republican Party moderates in this timeline. TD actually chose her to become President in his timeframe, so my choice of her as VP (and Joaquin Castro as the defeated Democratic incumbent) was a homage to that.

Other questions: Patience, young person, these will be answered as the story unfolds.

I'm sorry. It's just that I am excited to see TD's Theoretical Timeline be put into Action so to speak. TD for all of the Good Points he made.... did not really make it human. So this is awesome. We have yet to see the Senate and House Leaders. The Cabinet of President Sun. The Leaders of the Parties. So this is Awesome !

Unapologetic Chinaperson
nj_dem

« Reply #34 on: July 30, 2017, 12:02:10 PM »
« Edited: July 30, 2017, 12:05:00 PM by NJ is Better than TX »

The U.S. Government of 2040

Note:
Blue denotes Republicans or Republican-appointed Supreme Court justices.
Red denotes Democrats or Democrat-appointed Supreme Court justices.
Black denotes non-partisans or independents.
Italics indicate that the character is fictional.
Executive Branch employees are listed with their most notable past occupations.

Executive Branch

President: Crystal Sun
Vice-President: Elise Stefanik

Sec. of State: JHU SAIS director Vali Nasr
Sec. of the Treasury: AEI President Arthur C. Brooks
Sec. of Defense: NJ Congressman and NSC director Andrew Kim
Attorney General: FL Senator and Pres. candidate Marco Rubio
Sec. of the Interior: TX Congressman Alfred Hernandez
Sec. of Agriculture: KS Governor Theodore Jorgensen
Sec. of Commerce: IN Congressman Trey Hollingsworth
Sec. of Labor: California LWDA secretary Ammar Campa-Najjar
Sec. of HHS: Physician and philanthrophist Priscilla Chan
Sec. of HUD: Pittsburg mayor Rachel Feinberg
Sec. of Transportation: Uber cofounder Garrett Camp
Sec. of Energy: Paypal and Tesla cofounder Elon Musk
Sec. of Education: Chancellor of Washington, D.C. schools Jerry Frankel
Sec. of Veterans Affairs: VA Congressman Zachary Whilden
Sec. of Homeland Security: WI Congressman Mike Gallagher
Sec. of Information Technology: Google CEO Sundar Pichai

White House Chief of Staff: Campaign manager Sulli Shim
White House Press Secretary: Vox writer Matthew Yglesias
Director of the OMB: PA Senator Charlie Dent
Administrator of the EPA: SolarCity cofounder Lyndon Rive
Administrator of the SBA: Ichan Enterprises L.P. CEO Keith Cozza

Trade Representative: SC Governor and Pres. candidate Nikki Haley
UN Ambassador: Pop star and singer Eric Nam

Director of National Intelligence: Georgetown professor Beverly Abrams
Director of the CIA: CIA officer and Presidential candidate Evan McMullin
Director of the FBI: Senator and Presidential candidate Kamala Harris

Chairman of the Federal Reserve: Brown University professor Mark Blyth

Legislative Branch

Senate Majority Leader: Tom Kean, Jr. (R-NJ)
Senate Minority Leader: Chris Van Hollen (D-MD)

Speaker of the House: Pramila Jayapal (D-WA)
House Minority Leader: Justin Amash (R-MI)

Judicial Branch

Justices are ordered by order of appointment.
Cheif Justice is denoted with an asterisk (*)

1. Elena Kagan
2. Neil Gorsuch
3. Thomas Hardiman
4. Sri Srinivasan
5. Paul Watford*
6. Goodwin Liu
7. Kentaji Brown Jackson
8. Michelle Friedland
9. Alex Harris

Others

RNC Chair: Mindy Finn
DNC Chair: Zephyr Teachout
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #35 on: July 30, 2017, 05:17:48 PM »

You do realize a number of those listed here would be old and senile come 2040?
P. Clodius Pulcher did nothing wrong
razze
Junior Chimp
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -4.96

« Reply #36 on: July 30, 2017, 07:02:29 PM »

I think the Dept of IT could help those potentially senile people keep up with the changing times. Awesome Cabinet and leg/jud branches!
At-Large Senator LouisvilleThunder
LouisvilleThunder
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: 1.74

P P P
« Reply #37 on: July 30, 2017, 07:16:42 PM »

Unapologetic Chinaperson
nj_dem

« Reply #38 on: July 30, 2017, 07:17:11 PM »

You do realize a number of those listed here would be old and senile come 2040?

Good question! There are two aspects to my answer.

The meta answer: This was indeed a concern I had, so I tried to mostly choose people who are currently in their 30s-40s. I thought I could get away with a few 50 year olds, but apparently you caught me!

The in-universe answer: By the late 2030s, technology has advanced such that ageing is becoming less of an issue. Life expectancies of 90 years are common in much of the developed world (at least for rich people). Some examples:
- CRISPR-based technologies, like immunotherapies, have done a number on cancer and genetic disorders.
- Stem cell technologies, therapeutic cloning, and 3D organ printing have provided new forms of regenerative medicine that have supplanted our current system of organ donation.
- As razze hinted at, brain implants, with some help from new anti-dementia drugs, have helped prevent senility in a lot of people.

So these new technologies, along with the human desire to cling to power, have resulted in quite a few people who are in their 70s and 80s still kicking around in Washington. But don't worry, we'll get a few retirements. Wink
[/tr][/table]

Unapologetic Chinaperson
nj_dem

« Reply #39 on: July 30, 2017, 08:37:15 PM »

Atlas Forum
- Forum Community
-- Forum Community
(Moderators: RadicalAzn, Tiffany, TexasWaffle)
--- Update For Everyone XXX: Amsterdam Dreamin'

Kayalay
DKay      
YaBB God

★★★★★

Update For Everyone XXX: Amsterdam Dreamin'
« Reply #1230 on: January 5, 2040, 05:16:09 pm »
The greatest thing just happened today! Met with the amazing and incredible Governor Amber Glass! Even took a selfie with her.

RadicalAzn
RadicalAzn
Moderators     
YaBB God

★★★★★

« Reply #1231 on: January 5, 2040, 05:17:15 pm »
Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.
Wow, that's actually pretty neat! Congrats!

Not Milton Friedman
MiltonFriedman
YaBB God

★★★★★

« Reply #1232 on: January 5, 2040, 05:18:36 pm »
Wow, that's actually pretty neat! Congrats![/quote]
Cool! I remember when I met President Sun once when she was campaigning 4 years ago, so it's neat to see someone else share that experience.
JossyFossy     
jos
YaBB God

★★★★★

« Reply #1233 on: January 5, 2040, 05:20:12 pm »
who care

Castro Is My
King

Jill
YaBB God

★★★★★

« Reply #1234 on: January 5, 2040, 05:24:30 pm »
This is your 80,000th post, and this is what you have to say?
President of the great nation of 🏳️‍⚧️
Peebs
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #40 on: July 30, 2017, 08:40:10 PM »

Crap, now you're making me wonder what 38-year-old me is up to. Tongue
Kamala
Madagascar

« Reply #41 on: July 30, 2017, 09:20:30 PM »

Crap, now you're making me wonder what 38-year-old me is up to. Tongue

I'm 41 by this time! Nj, I better have kids!
morgankingsley
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #42 on: July 30, 2017, 11:43:14 PM »

Few silly questions but I REALLY WANT TO KNOW:

1. Is Trump still the oldest president to assume office or did somebody beat his record?

2. Did he run for a second term and lose or not even run

3. Is Trump still even alive? Obama? Either Bush? Carter? Bill Clinton?

4. Most importantly, did either Bush senior or Carter live to reach the age of 100 before they died or did neither make it?

If you answer these few questions, I will be on board
Unapologetic Chinaperson
nj_dem

« Reply #43 on: July 31, 2017, 08:09:38 AM »

Few silly questions but I REALLY WANT TO KNOW:

1. Is Trump still the oldest president to assume office or did somebody beat his record?

2. Did he run for a second term and lose or not even run

3. Is Trump still even alive? Obama? Either Bush? Carter? Bill Clinton?

4. Most importantly, did either Bush senior or Carter live to reach the age of 100 before they died or did neither make it?

If you answer these few questions, I will be on board

1. No he's still the oldest.

2. I can't tell you, since that will spoil the story

3. Of the ones listed, only Obama and Bush the Younger are still alive.

4. Bush no (died at 95 in 2019); Carter yes (died at 102 in 2027)
The_Doctor
SilentCal1924

« Reply #44 on: August 01, 2017, 11:38:48 AM »

This is a great timeline! I'm honored that you took some concepts from Between Two Majorities. Smiley

Good luck and PM me if you ever have any questions or need anything.
_
Not_Madigan
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.29, S: -7.74

« Reply #45 on: August 01, 2017, 11:47:37 AM »
« Edited: August 01, 2017, 11:51:30 AM by Not_Madigan »

This is rather interesting, sad that Illinois stayed Democrat in 2036 but California going Republican is amazing.  Good Job!
mvd10
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 2.58, S: -2.61

« Reply #46 on: August 01, 2017, 12:08:10 PM »

So the Republican party is the party of the rich and vain? Count me in Cheesy. Anyway, great TL!
Unapologetic Chinaperson
nj_dem

« Reply #47 on: August 01, 2017, 01:44:35 PM »
« Edited: August 01, 2017, 04:15:39 PM by NJ is Better than TX »

President Sun Gives SOTU Address
By Buzzfeed News staff

President Sun giving the SOTU Address, with Vice President Elise Stefanik (left) and
Speaker of the House Pramila Jayapal (D-WA, right).

President Crystal Sun gave her third State of the Union (SOTU) address on Tuesday.

“Four years ago, the American people wanted a new American dawn,” Sun said when starting off her address, referencing her 2036 campaign slogan. “Now, it is half past noon.” Memetically, Vice President Elise Stefanik burst into laughter behind Sun upon hearing the joke.

In her address, Sun emphasized the themes of inclusion and innovation, saying “We are all immigrants” and emphasizing her own immigrant background. In one of the most dramatic moments in SOTU history, Sun honored two Pakistani immigrants admitted under the expanded Climate Refugee Program who were invited to the address.

She then touted the accomplishments of American scientists and companies in the fields of clean energy, biotechnology, and space exploration. She highlighted the progress the United States has made in reducing greenhouse gas emissions and expanding the electric car market. She also described the success of the American space company SpaceX in the field of asteroid mining and, to resounding bipartisan applause, said that “we have kept our promise to send men and women, before the decade is out, to touch the face of Mars.”

She concluded by listing her foreign policy accomplishments over the past year. In particular, she highlighted the benefits of lifting restrictions on Sino-American space cooperation, one of her biggest foreign policy accomplishments and one that tied back to her theme of innovation. She also defended her actions on fighting terrorism saying that "whether they are radical Islamists, white supremacists, or Anarcho-Nihilists, terrorists have no place on the face of this Earth."

Sun finished off by encapsulating her themes of innovation and inclusion.  “We must remember,” she said in her concluding sentences, “in a changing and challenging world, we must not retreat. When confronted with problems that seem insurmountable, we cannot give up. Instead, we must keep embracing the things that make us strong: American innovation, American leadership, and American hope.”

During the address, Sun wore a shoulder-baring dress while giving the address. Politicians and pundits from both parties have praised and criticized the move. While this was a first for a President delivering a SOTU address, female politicians have occasionally worn shoulder-baring and sleeveless dresses while attending past addresses.

After the address, U.S. Representative Emily McConville (D-NC) gave the official response to the SOTU address by the Democratic Party.
Unapologetic Chinaperson
nj_dem

« Reply #48 on: August 03, 2017, 10:10:05 PM »

Opinion: A Reflection of the SOTU Address

by Theodore Dresser
January 10, 2040

Tonight, President Crystal Sun delivered the State of the Union Address. She faced a tough audience; the Democrats in the chamber were barely willing to give Sun the time of day (or night, I suppose). Despite this, she articulated a distinctly American and distinctly Republican vision of free enterprise and technological innovation.

Sun started off her address with the usual call refrain that regardless of who we are, regardless of where we came from, we are all in the end Americans. For years presidents have metered out similar platitudes in their speeches, whether in the SOTU address or otherwise, but for her, the first Chinese-American President of the United States, this carried a special meaning.

Since the mid-18th century, when the first Chinese immigrants came to our shores, they have been among our nation’s hardest workers, whether they built the transcontinental railroads or became our most brilliant geniuses. Yet for so long, our country’s treatment of them has been shameful; they have been rioted against, murdered, accused of being spies, and so forth. The story of other immigrant communities, from the Irish to the Italians, from the Mexicans to the Syrians, has been similar. Yet they all persevered in face of the adversity, becoming integral parts of the American story.

It is no surprise, then, that she invited Pakistani refugees Amar and Anna Chishti, as well as their two-year-old American-born daughter, to the address. In the years since they have come to our shores, they have started a bakery serving customers just across the state border in Burlington, Vermont. They, like the President, are living embodiments of the American Dream. It’s a simple maxim: immigrants make America stronger, not weaker. To quote a musical from my time, immigrants get the job done.

We must also address the root reason why they came to America in the first place: climate change. When droughts and rising seas force people like the Chishti family to flee their homes, firm leadership is needed in the fight. And Sun provided that leadership; she correctly noted that in 2039, US net annual carbon dioxide emissions have reached their lowest point since 1970, even though the American economy grew by more than 3 percent that year. Most of that came from the free market, whether it is the the record number of electric vehicles sold in America or the blossoming of solar farms and battery parks under American skies that has repeatedly exceeded analyst projections.

Clean energy is just one example of “America’s technological might,” says President Sun in the address. She touted the myriad American advancements in artificial intelligence, biomedical engineering, and genetic modification that has occurred in the past four years. Unfortunately, as Sun warns, this progress is “under continuous threat.” These threats are myriad; they include Democratic politicians who must pander to their religious left base about the dangers of “playing God” and  environmentalists who fret about even the thought of thorium reactors being built in the US. All of these voices are rooted in a fear of the unknown; they all fail to realize that science and technology drive economic growth, raise living standards, cure disease, and make America the greatest country in the world.

Not all threats to American innovation and greatness come from card-carrying Luddites. There is also the standard threat of high taxes and stifling regulations that come from the Democrats. Nothing better for Speaker Jayapal to simply crush Tesla’s latest project with a slew of new taxes, under the misguided notion that the government can make a better car. It is why the most entertaining part of the address is Sun’s story on asteroid mining. What NASA has been trying to do for twelve years under Democratic rule, SpaceX has done in two years, and is now sending back gold and platinum to Earth as we speak. Only with the help of SpaceX has Sun’s big promise in her first address - that we will land on Mars by the close of the decade - come to fruition, insofar that we now have a spaceship heading towards the Red Planet.

President Sun segued to the topic of foreign policy, for closed borders are as big of a threat to progress as closed minds. President Sun correctly noted that for years NASA researchers have been barred from working with their Chinese counterparts under the guise of national security. While there are and have been legitimate concerns regarding national security, the extent that previous administrations have stifled Sino-American cooperation has been ridiculous. In fact, at one point Chinese citizens were not even allowed to visit NASA facilities without a waiver!

So instead China has engaged with other agencies, like the European Space Agency, to advance the field of space exploration while America was left in the dust. The elimination of most of these restrictions, along with her promotion of private space enterprises, has made the Sun Administration the greatest gift to American space exploration since Eisenhower and the creation of NASA.

This is just one example of the Sun Doctrine on foreign policy, if one were to say that such a doctrine exists. Don’t fight; cooperate. Whether it is working with China on North Korea, working with Bangladesh on fighting climate change, working with Nigeria to fight terrorism, or so forth, cooperation is the key to solving our challenges in a global, interconnected world. “We are no longer Fortress America,” Sun said, “and we cannot isolate ourselves from the world’s challenges, for we are an integral part of it. Instead of butting heads with other nations, we have worked together to form concrete solutions to our problems.”

In the end, America is at a crossroads. We can go down the Democrat path of government meddling, quasi-isolation, and, if we want to look at the logical conclusion, anarcho-primitivism. Or we can go down Sun’s path of, as she said in the conclusion of her address, “American innovation, American leadership, and American hope.”

Theodore Dresser (R-NH) is the U.S. Representative for New Hampshire’s 1st congressional district.
Unapologetic Chinaperson
nj_dem

« Reply #49 on: August 03, 2017, 10:11:24 PM »

Official Democratic Response to the SOTU Address

By Emily McConville
January 10, 2040

Hello, I’m Representative Emily McConville. A few hours ago, President Crystal Sun presented her third State of the Union Address. In it, she presents the appearance of an administration that cares for the future of the United States; after all, she concluded her address with the words “American innovation, American leadership, and American hope.” But in reality, these words belie the truth of Sun’s policies, which in the end are designed to benefit the rich and their mega-corporations while the American people are left in the dust.

Let us begin with her first topic, the Climate Refugee Resettlement Program. Amar and Anna Chishti, the couple featured during the address, are good people. And the fact that she is letting in millions of desperate souls into the United States is commendable. But we have to look at the dark side. Amar and Anna are the exceptions. The influx of refugees, along with cuts to important social services under the Sun Administration, has created an underclass, made mostly of immigrants and people of color, who have limited opportunities to integrate into American society and live lives with dignity. Instead, they are exploited by businesses - businesses that support the Republican Party, of course - for cheap labor that can’t be done with robots.

If you want to see what that can lead to, just look at Europe. You have enormous communities of Muslims in countries such as France, the Netherlands and Italy where the people living there are essentially trapped, with no hope of decent jobs, safe living conditions, or even citizenship. This breeds crime, resentment, and in the worst case, terrorism; that is why Islamophobic, anti-Black, and anti-immigrant parties are so strong there. Yes, we must take care of our brothers and sisters around the world, but we cannot do so in a way that is patronizing and exploitative.

President Sun then segues into the topic of climate change and “climate leadership,” whatever that means in this context. Because the Republican Party, the party that used to be the party of climate science denial, certainly isn’t exhibiting it. Sun touts a bunch of facts and figures that claim to show that progress was greatest under her administration, but once you look closer you see that they were mostly the brainchild of the previous Democratic administrations.

The proliferation of electric cars? The result of fuel efficiency mandates that evolved into electric car and infrastructure mandates. The fact that solar and wind now make up a majority of our electricity supply? Could not have been done without Democratic initiatives, including state laws mandating 100 percent renewable supply passed by Democratic legislatures. The construction of thorium reactors? Okay, I concede on that point, for that really did only start under the Sun Administration. But that is another example of how misguided her energy policy is, for nuclear is more expensive than renewables and still has the knotty problem of radiation.

And what is with the propaganda the Republicans spew about “free markets result in greater innovation?” Most innovations were the result of government programs! The Internet is one example. NASA is another, which is ironic, given how Sun excoriated the program in her speech. Where do you think most of the technology SpaceX used to get to the asteroids come from? And Mars? SpaceX thought it could send men to Mars by the 2020s; they utterly failed on that promise, and now NASA had to come to the rescue, as per usual.

SpaceX is just one example in this big show. Another is how her loosening of ethics regulations have unleashed American science. I’m sorry, Mrs. President, but all you did was unleash a Pandora’s Box. Science is best done when ethical considerations are taken into account. When they are not, such as when human genetic modification is allowed or vanity purposes, essentially legalizing eugenics, it makes people afraid of science, often for good reason, and it only sets us back.

From NASA she makes another segue into her Sunshine Policy, or should I say, the Darkness Policy. To open up critical space infrastructure to the CNSA is basically equivalent of giving China half of our missiles. There was a reason why these bans were in place, and it’s not to stifle innovation as Sun claims. Because as much as Sun wants to be buddy-buddy with the Chinese Communist Party, the fact is, China remains our greatest adversary in many different environments, from Africa (which Sun hypocritically treats as her personal warzone, ironically creating more terrorists in the process) to the Eurasian continent to, of course, outer space.

With that said, Sun concludes with the aforementioned “American innovation, American leadership, and American hope” line. Which is ironic, since her administration has demonstrated none of these qualities. She outsources American innovation to businesses, which do R&D based on the bottom line rather than genuine inquiry. She has abdicated American leadership to China and other hostile nations. And she certainly does not give hope to the millions of Americans and global citizens who must suffer in the darkness because of her policies.

Emily McConville (D-NC) is the U.S. Representative for North Carolina’s 4th congressional district
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 14  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies