VA-Monmouth: dead heat
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 09:33:24 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections
  2023 & Odd Year Gubernatorial Election Polls (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  VA-Monmouth: dead heat
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: VA-Monmouth: dead heat  (Read 3687 times)
heatcharger
Junior Chimp
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -1.04, S: -0.24

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: July 25, 2017, 11:08:14 AM »

Dave, could you approve my account for entering polls into the database?
Skye
yeah_93
YaBB God
Venezuela

« Reply #26 on: July 25, 2017, 01:52:57 PM »

I still have this as Lean D. Gillespie is a good candidate, though.

I wonder what'll happen if Trump's approval rating goes up to a more decent number.

But don't act as if this race is a lost cause for the GOP.
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -7.30

« Reply #27 on: July 25, 2017, 02:20:28 PM »

Like Sanders, Perriello was shown to beat the GE opponent at a healthier margin, and Northam could well botch it.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #28 on: July 25, 2017, 03:22:01 PM »

Hey Dave, just in the off chance you pop back in this thread, did you get a chance to read my PM/email about a serious forum bug / something I made for the forum? I made a thread about it in the Cave as well.
_
Not_Madigan
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.29, S: -7.74

« Reply #29 on: July 25, 2017, 05:04:44 PM »

I still can't believe that 68% of the undecideds, who have their Trump favorables at 22-60 iirc, think he doesn't matter.

If ANYONE here works on the Northam campaign, they have to stop talking about Trump so much, they need to get a positive economic message, attack Gillespie's establishment ties, and, this is very important, SLAM HEALTHCARE HOME IN THE COAL COUNTIES, that's exactly where you have the highest possible gain from healthcare with so many of them getting govt. help.  If Northam focuses too much on Trump it will backfire, 100%.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #30 on: July 25, 2017, 06:21:33 PM »

Trump is going to be a bigger factor in federal races than local races. Northam should run on health care, education, jobs and his profile (veteran/doctor). In fact the whole campaign should be more positive, I am not a fan of the scorched earth ad strategy we saw from McAuliffe & Clinton, Mook ran both of those campaigns btw.

I agree with this. Hopefully his past residency in tidewater helps with turnout there, but he still needs to visit Virginia Beach a ton during the campaign.
ProgressiveCanadian
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #31 on: July 25, 2017, 07:42:47 PM »

Like Sanders, Perriello was shown to beat the GE opponent at a healthier margin, and Northam could well botch it.

Basically this.
henster
YaBB God

« Reply #32 on: July 25, 2017, 07:58:38 PM »

I fear relentless ads from Northam tying Gillespie to Trump in any way possible and Gillespie basically running on local issues. I think most people realize Gillespie is a Republican and in extension supports Trump no need to double down on it.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #33 on: July 26, 2017, 01:22:37 PM »

Democrats like Northam, Murphy, and De Blasio should not run only on Trump. That is what Hillary Clinton did in 2016 against Trump. She was "Love not Hate". She did not have an economic and military message to win.

If Northam and the Virginia Democrats want to win in 2017, they need to have a message, and not just on anti-Trump only to motivate Democratic voters in NOVA and in other Virginia suburban areas.
Kevin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #34 on: July 26, 2017, 02:05:19 PM »
« Edited: July 26, 2017, 04:20:45 PM by Kevin »

Democrats like Northam, Murphy, and De Blasio should not run only on Trump. That is what Hillary Clinton did in 2016 against Trump. She was "Love not Hate". She did not have an economic and military message to win.

If Northam and the Virginia Democrats want to win in 2017, they need to have a message, and not just on anti-Trump only to motivate Democratic voters in NOVA and in other Virginia suburban areas.

Agreed-although Murphy and (prob De Blasio) could prob shoot someone and still win no matter what.

The problem for Northam running on solely an anti-Trump message is math imo. Sure Trump maybe unpopular in NOVA and VA was one of only a few swing states he didn't care etc. The issue with running on such a message against Gillespie is that it could backfire and aggravate Trump's base downstate to really come out on election day. Along with the other fact that Gillispie is likely to do several points better at least in NOVA compared to Trump who totally collapsed in Fairfax, PWC, and Loudoun. As someone pointed out here earlier Gillespie's standing in NOVA seems to be an odd bright spot for him.

Also keep in mind during his 2014 run for Senate, Gillespie carried Loudoun and came close in Prince William and preformed slightly better in Fairfax. If he had gotten only 10,000 or so additional voters in rural VA or in Southside, Richmond area, or VA beach he would be Sen. Ed Gillespie(R-VA) right now
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #35 on: August 01, 2017, 10:28:03 PM »

VA is a must win state for Dems to hold onto for 2020
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to: