Kentucky in 2000 and 2004
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 12:13:38 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  Kentucky in 2000 and 2004
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Kentucky in 2000 and 2004  (Read 846 times)
Fuzzybigfoot
YaBB God
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 27, 2012, 03:19:03 AM »

Can anyone explain why a handful of counties in Northeastern Kentucky flipped to Kerry in 2004?  I know it's been discussed before, but I can't seem to recall a clear explanation to why this happened:

Thoughts, please? 
old timey villain
cope1989

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2012, 05:55:42 PM »

I was just looking at those maps earlier and thought the same thing. I always figured that eastern Kentucky as a whole was pretty homogenous. The 2004 swing shows that Southeastern Kentucky and Northeastern Kentucky are different politically, due to opposite swings.

It looks like SE Kentucky is the biggest coal producing area in the state, so the swing centered around Harlan County could have just been a continuing trend towards the Republican party among coal producing areas. Interestingly enough, SE Kentucky swung heavily towards the Democratic nominee in the 2003 Governor's race a year earlier, compared to the 1999 race when it was the only region of the state that voted for the losing Republican candidate. So the region swung D at the state level but swung R at the presidential level in a period roughly from 2000 to 2004.

Northeast Kentucky doesn't seem to be quite as reliant on coal, so maybe the voters there were worried about different issues? Also, it's close to Ohio so maybe there was some spillover from Kerry ads up there. The region also swung hard towards Bush in 2000 so perhaps it was a correction of sorts. Without coal as the primary factor, the region didn't have much of a reason to swing so hard to the Republicans in 2004. I mean, NE  Kentucky voted for Dukakis.  I've been researching this for half an hour and I really have no definite answer. Sorry.

Also, anybody know why south Central Kentucky is so Republican?
Donerail
Atlas Icon
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2012, 06:26:06 PM »

Also, anybody know why south Central Kentucky is so Republican?

South central Kentucky has been a Republican stronghold since Lincoln, and was Whig before that. I've always figured it's a similar story to eastern Tennessee.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies