Politico: Christie's last big move could be filling Menendez's seat
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 09:08:57 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Politico: Christie's last big move could be filling Menendez's seat
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Politico: Christie's last big move could be filling Menendez's seat  (Read 5270 times)
SATW
SunriseAroundTheWorld
Junior Chimp
United States
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: July 21, 2017, 05:11:16 PM »

We are under the assumption that Menendez gets convicted. That's an unwise assumption.

Unlike people from his own party, I'm sticking with Fighting Bob til the very end.

Why you want to stick with Bob?

Senator Menendez has been a refreshing and strong voice for a strong national defense. He is one of the few Senate Democrats I trust to lead on foreign affairs and national security issues.

He has really stepped up to the plate after Joe Lieberman retired in 2012. The current voice of Scoop Jackson Liberalism.

Sen. Menendez has been a strong supporter of American allies, such as Israel, and has been a voice of moral clarity for the people of Cuba and Venezuela by joining them in vehemently opposing their abusive governments.

I almost always back hawkish democrats.

For example, I am a lifelong supporter of Chuck Schumer, Joe Lieberman and Ben Cardin. I also support people like Albio Sires, Josh Gottheimer, Eliot Engel, Ted Deutsch, Grace Napoiltano and others in the House who share a similar worldview on foreign affairs.

JoshPA
Rookie
United States

« Reply #26 on: July 21, 2017, 05:18:28 PM »

Any other republicans hate christie
BudgieForce
superbudgie1582
YaBB God

« Reply #27 on: July 21, 2017, 05:22:48 PM »

Theres also the real possibility Menendez wins his case. Nothing has stuck to him so far.
JoshPA
Rookie
United States

« Reply #28 on: July 21, 2017, 05:23:47 PM »

Christie's appointee might even have a harder time than Guadagno - the stench of Christie is a kiss of death.
Christie existing is a kiss of death to her.
JoshPA
Rookie
United States

« Reply #29 on: July 21, 2017, 05:27:19 PM »

Okay. If this happens, that appointee isn't gonna win the election.

Even if it a democrat.
JoshPA
Rookie
United States

« Reply #30 on: July 21, 2017, 05:27:55 PM »

I hope Chris appoints himself! He deserves it. Smiley Hopefully they can get an extra wide chair made for him so he doesn't break the antique furniture.

no are you crazy we lose the ing senate.
JoshPA
Rookie
United States

« Reply #31 on: July 21, 2017, 05:32:20 PM »

Honestly we should be blaming Menendez for this, not Christie. My hope is that the trial drags out and he doesn't leave 'til January, when Murphy can appoint some random Democrat to fill the seat.

But even if a Republican gets appointed, there is simply no way they win a full term in Nov. 2018. That's simply not possible in this political climate

Unless they murder Christie on live tv.
Obama-Biden Democrat
Zyzz
Junior Chimp

« Reply #32 on: July 21, 2017, 05:40:58 PM »

Imagine if this results in the 50th vote for TrumpCare.

Would Senator Christie put a Kristy Kreme subsidy into the bill?
_
Not_Madigan
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.29, S: -7.74

« Reply #33 on: July 21, 2017, 10:03:05 PM »

If this actually happens....
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.48, S: -1.83

« Reply #34 on: July 22, 2017, 07:55:55 PM »

We are under the assumption that Menendez gets convicted. That's an unwise assumption.

Unlike people from his own party, I'm sticking with Fighting Bob til the very end.

Why you want to stick with Bob?

Senator Menendez has been a refreshing and strong voice for a strong national defense. He is one of the few Senate Democrats I trust to lead on foreign affairs and national security issues.

He has really stepped up to the plate after Joe Lieberman retired in 2012. The current voice of Scoop Jackson Liberalism.

Sen. Menendez has been a strong supporter of American allies, such as Israel, and has been a voice of moral clarity for the people of Cuba and Venezuela by joining them in vehemently opposing their abusive governments.

I almost always back hawkish democrats.

For example, I am a lifelong supporter of Chuck Schumer, Joe Lieberman and Ben Cardin. I also support people like Albio Sires, Josh Gottheimer, Eliot Engel, Ted Deutsch, Grace Napoiltano and others in the House who share a similar worldview on foreign affairs.

So why not Hillary? She's not the most hawkish, but she definitely still is, especially compared to Drumpft,
henster
YaBB God

« Reply #35 on: July 22, 2017, 08:55:38 PM »

Still need 2/3rd's to expel which I can't see them getting, Menendez/Dems can say we're waiting for appeals to stall and have him step down in Jan.
Coolface Sock #42069
whitesox130
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.39, S: 2.26

« Reply #36 on: July 22, 2017, 09:07:12 PM »
« Edited: July 23, 2017, 09:13:44 PM by whitesox130 »

If Menendez is actually convicted, I can't imagine his own party standing behind him. The Republican attack ads would write themselves. I also remember Harry Reid's absolute refusal to seat Sen. Robert Burris in 2009 after he was appointed by disgraced then-Gov. Rod Blagojevich, who was removed from office shortly thereafter and is currently rotting in prison. And nobody is more of a partisan hack than Harry Reid. Burris did get seated, but only after a lengthy Senate rules challenge forced Reid's hand.

Devils30
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.06, S: -4.00

« Reply #37 on: July 22, 2017, 11:56:02 PM »

If he's convicted it will be November or December. The Dems will just stall the expulsion vote until Murphy takes office. The GOP is not getting this seat.
Vega
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #38 on: July 23, 2017, 03:21:34 AM »

I doubt he'll actually be convicted. He's rather Teflon.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #39 on: July 24, 2017, 01:49:03 AM »

If he's convicted it will be November or December. The Dems will just stall the expulsion vote until Murphy takes office. The GOP is not getting this seat.

Could they do so in the minority? Are they ready to go out on a limb and filibuster? I guess it could be readily construed as not pro Menendez but simply giving the next chief executive the opportunity to choose, the same way the Republican stuck it to Obama over scalia's seat
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #40 on: July 24, 2017, 06:52:15 AM »

Could they do so in the minority? Are they ready to go out on a limb and filibuster? I guess it could be readily construed as not pro Menendez but simply giving the next chief executive the opportunity to choose, the same way the Republican stuck it to Obama over scalia's seat

Well if the elections have been held they will definitely wait.

And I suppose Menendez could appeal this guilty verdict?
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #41 on: August 29, 2017, 10:03:26 PM »

If Menendez is convicted/expelled/resigns in November-December, Christie will choose: Jon Bramnick or Joe Kyrillos.

If Menendez is convicted/expelled/resigns by January-February, Murphy will choose: Steve Fulop, Donald Norcross, or Loretta Weinberg.

I like Weinberg. She's feisty and tough. I would like State Senator Nia Gill, an African-American representing the East Orange-Montclair area.
TheLeftwardTide
« Reply #42 on: August 29, 2017, 10:14:52 PM »

John Wisniewski for US Senate

it's not going to happen but I can dream
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #43 on: August 30, 2017, 11:09:24 AM »

There is no chance that Christie will get to appoint someone to this seat. Even if Menendez is convicted, Democrats aren't going to give Republicans a free seat that could be the difference in repealing Obamacare.
Gass3268
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #44 on: August 30, 2017, 11:54:33 AM »

If Menendez is actually convicted, I can't imagine his own party standing behind him. The Republican attack ads would write themselves. I also remember Harry Reid's absolute refusal to seat Sen. Robert Burris in 2009 after he was appointed by disgraced then-Gov. Rod Blagojevich, who was removed from office shortly thereafter and is currently rotting in prison. And nobody is more of a partisan hack than Harry Reid. Burris did get seated, but only after a lengthy Senate rules challenge forced Reid's hand.

They won't stand behind him, they just wait until Murphy can make the decision on the replacement.
Pollster
YaBB God

« Reply #45 on: August 30, 2017, 12:15:57 PM »

"We believe the next Governor of New Jersey should decide Menendez's replacement, just as Republicans themselves decided that the next President should decide Scalia's replacement."

Menendez getting convicted is 50/50 imo, but if he does my guess is Murphy probably appoints Steve Fulop. I've long suspected that Fulop forgoing a run for the governorship happened because Murphy promised him this seat if it became vacant.
SteveRogers
duncan298
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -5.04

« Reply #46 on: August 30, 2017, 02:41:06 PM »

No fillibuster needed. Expulsion requires a 2/3 vote in the Senate.
BudgieForce
superbudgie1582
YaBB God

« Reply #47 on: August 30, 2017, 03:15:38 PM »

Let me reassure nervous democrats. Menendez is not going anywhere. Menendez will probably get charged with a felony for his failure to disclose gifts. That being said, there will be an appeal and there isnt anywhere near enough votes for expulsion. Even with every single vulnerable dem senator and Warren/Sanders voting for expulsion, there wont be enough votes. Lets also remember the last senator to actually be expelled was during the civil war. Worst comes to worst, he resigns in January when Murphy takes over, but there is not a snowballs chance in hell Christie is appointing anyone.

Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #48 on: August 30, 2017, 06:50:14 PM »

As a New Jerseyan voter, I don't mind Torricelli coming back. Yes, he may be shady, but he is a master orator and knows how to play hardball. He is center left, he has some centrist ideals.

I'd vote for Torricelli, he does not seem as shady as Menendez or the Norcross brothers, or Rob Andrews.

Murphy could appoint a caretaker Senator, like Deval Patrick did in 2009 after Ted Kennedy died, he appointed Paul Kirk, who didn't run for the MA 2010 special election.

Would he pick Jim Florio, former governor?
International Brotherhood of Bernard
interstate73

« Reply #49 on: August 30, 2017, 07:33:39 PM »

As a New Jerseyan voter, I don't mind Torricelli coming back. Yes, he may be shady, but he is a master orator and knows how to play hardball. He is center left, he has some centrist ideals.

I'd vote for Torricelli, he does not seem as shady as Menendez or the Norcross brothers, or Rob Andrews.

Murphy could appoint a caretaker Senator, like Deval Patrick did in 2009 after Ted Kennedy died, he appointed Paul Kirk, who didn't run for the MA 2010 special election.

Would he pick Jim Florio, former governor?

I would imagine the very last thing he wants to invoke as he becomes the new Democratic Governor of New Jersey is the memory of Jim Florio. If he wanted a caretaker I'd think he go with someone like Rush Holt
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies