Pew: Why Are Millions of Citizens Not Registered to Vote? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 09:51:00 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Pew: Why Are Millions of Citizens Not Registered to Vote? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Pew: Why Are Millions of Citizens Not Registered to Vote?  (Read 1084 times)
Technocracy Timmy
YaBB God
United States

« on: July 12, 2017, 11:07:40 PM »

Anecdotal but I was never asked to register to vote at my local DMV or from anyone else in life. I even come from a very political family and willingly chose to register to vote when I got my drivers license at 18.
Technocracy Timmy
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2017, 11:17:50 PM »

My overall point is that political apathy is very real in this country. I can't think of a single instance where I felt encouraged let alone obligated to register to vote; not even from my hyper-political family. I don't think my experience is unique either. A lot of people simply don't care about politics or feel that the system is "rigged" and not worth participating in.

They feel it's either not worth it or that politics doesn't affect them.
Technocracy Timmy
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2017, 12:13:26 AM »

The number of people who use the tired old "they feel the system is rigged"  argument are mostly wrong. The majority of them are simply so self-absorbed (and generally materialistic) they can't possibly grasp the idea of structures existing outside themselves.

Look at the approval rating for congress or the President then contrast that with the approval rating of the military (72%), the police (57%), or small business (70%). Source.

Most Americans have the capacity to "grasp the idea of structures existing outside themselves".
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies