One problem with medicaid expansion so far: ER use is not declining (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:45:01 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  One problem with medicaid expansion so far: ER use is not declining (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: One problem with medicaid expansion so far: ER use is not declining  (Read 273 times)
Koharu
jphp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.35

« on: July 10, 2017, 06:54:51 AM »

A lot of this is just what I would call habit.

People in poverty don't realize that you're supposed to have a primary care physician. You go to your doctor for regular check ups? What?! You only go when there's something wrong! And then, because there's something wrong, you go to the ER because there's a wait to see a doctor otherwise!

This was how I grew up thinking, and it's how most low-income people I know behave. There needs to be a major education push in regards to how to use healthcare appropriately and not just for catastrophic events--and that the ER isn't for a lot of stuff. In addition, we need clinic hours outside regular business hours. Lower-income folks often struggle to make it to places that only have regular business hours.

In my home community in southern Minnesota, there are two walk-in clinics. One in a drug store and one in Wal-Mart. Their business is absolutely booming. They have hours outside of regular business hours, and while they are aimed at "urgent" care, they also deal with other issues, and refer to the local hospital when necessary. They're not perfect by any means, but they've greatly reduced the load on the local ER.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies