If Mitch and Trump have to cut a deal with dems on hc how will the base react?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 12:13:02 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  If Mitch and Trump have to cut a deal with dems on hc how will the base react?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: If Mitch and Trump have to cut a deal with dems on hc how will the base react?  (Read 679 times)
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 08, 2017, 11:03:33 AM »

So apparently rumors are going that Mitch knows he might have to cut a deal with Chuck over health care due to his trouble with the senate bill. If that does become the case how will the conserwouldn'conservative base react? Will it be relief that this toxic issue is over or anger that despite the trifecta reps had to concede a borderline defeat on this issue?
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2017, 11:16:48 AM »

I don't see how the Republicans can possibly compromise if they're deadset on repealing the ACA. Democrats have no reason to compromise unless they're heavily favored in the final bill.

The base? Depends on the deal. In the highly unlikely event Democrats just fold, there's probably going to be a lot of anger directed towards Schumer. But that's not going to happen. Should a deal be reached, it's likely to be acceptable to the majority of the base.
Nyvin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2017, 12:16:51 PM »

What incentive is there possibly for the Dems to help the Republicans repeal ACA?   

If the Republicans really want to cave in, just pass Clinton's reform bill she put up last year.
The_Doctor
SilentCal1924

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2017, 12:29:49 PM »

They won't care. Republicans voted Republican after the New Deal, Great Society, and everything in between. Some people will whine but ultimately nobody will care as long as the patch saves face for the GOP somehow.
Yank2133
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2017, 01:11:50 PM »
« Edited: July 08, 2017, 01:17:30 PM by Yank2133 »

They won't care.

Base only hated the Obama part of the ACA, not the law itself.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2017, 03:44:20 PM »

The Democrats won't cut a deal
Mike Thick
tedbessell
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -6.65, S: -8.26

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2017, 05:42:15 PM »

I think the GOP would spin it into "Obamacare is collapsing so badly that even Dems realize we need to repeal/modify!" and the base would just be happy thinking that they made libruls do something.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2017, 06:58:20 PM »
« Edited: July 08, 2017, 07:02:30 PM by Torie »

It depends which part of the Trump base. I suspect they vary widely on this issue, with of course a ton of misinformation attending the opinions of many, if not most of them. In fact, that problem expands far beypnd the Trump base, on this very complicated issue, where the public square has done such a horrible job of elucidating the realistic policy options, assuming you do want all to have some level of health care.

What would have been helpful for the getgo, is instead of talking about repealing Obamacare, it would have been better to frame it as "fixing" Obamacare, and inviting the Dems to offer their ideas about how to fix it. That way it becomes less of a partisan political football.

Painful choices need to be made, and the Dems should have been put in a position where they need to offer up what they want to do, and then the voters can understand better what the realistic options are. So now what we have, is a system where young people subsidize the old on a non means tested basis, and the Pubs want to just toss a lot of folks out of the system in the end. Both suck.

Maybe if a bunch of adults were at the table, who stopped thinking all the time about positioning for the next election, and really focused on policy, in the end, something actually helpful might have been fashioned. But American politics is too dysfunctional to do any of that. So we just slide along, until things get to in extremis and crisis, and then we get a patch on the fly that buys a bit of time.

Sad!
Coraxion
Ethiopia

« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2017, 07:10:01 PM »

Some individual Senators may have a desire for compromise, but McConnell and Schumer certainly don't. It's not happening. If/when this fails, McConnell will move on to something else.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2017, 07:44:46 PM »

Some individual Senators may have a desire for compromise, but McConnell and Schumer certainly don't. It's not happening. If/when this fails, McConnell will move on to something else.

The more I think about it, the more I think this outcome is most plausible (If it fails, the GOP does nothing, and moves on to the next item on their calendar).
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2017, 08:58:13 PM »

They'll react however Trump/Hannity et al tell them to react.
Yank2133
Junior Chimp

« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2017, 10:35:29 PM »

I am not sure about Schumer.

Negotiating a deal that can help stabilize the ACA markets and remove it as a political football for the near future is enticing if you are a Democrat.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2017, 11:08:04 AM »

Oh give me a break. Schumer's a blowhard who'll collapse at the first sign of gunfire. Democrats will fold, like they usually do. Republicans will walk over the middle and working classes, like they usually do. Then all of them will collect their special interest money and begin the cycle again.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2017, 11:13:02 AM »

Mitch the old turtle McConnell cuts a deal with Dems? I believe it when I see it.
heatcharger
Junior Chimp
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -1.04, S: -0.24

« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2017, 09:18:59 AM »

Oh give me a break. Schumer's a blowhard who'll collapse at the first sign of gunfire. Democrats will fold, like they usually do. Republicans will walk over the middle and working classes, like they usually do. Then all of them will collect their special interest money and begin the cycle again.

Lol please point to me an example of where Schumer has folded.
AtorBoltox

« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2017, 09:36:54 AM »

The reaction from the dem base would be far more hostile
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies