Trump Jr./Russian lawyer meeting: Jr. knew info was part of Russian Gov effort
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 28, 2024, 11:28:44 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Trump Jr./Russian lawyer meeting: Jr. knew info was part of Russian Gov effort
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 22 23 24 [25] 26 27 28
Author Topic: Trump Jr./Russian lawyer meeting: Jr. knew info was part of Russian Gov effort  (Read 35930 times)
EnglishPete

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #600 on: July 17, 2017, 02:19:01 AM »

http://thehill.com/homenews/administration/342225-trump-lawyer-secret-service-wouldnt-let-trump-jr-take-nefarious
You must be logged in to read this quote.
http://www.cnn.com/2017/07/16/politics/donald-trump-jr-jay-sekulow-secret-service/index.html

So.... Trump's lawyer says the Secret Service screened the meeting. The Secret Service says they were only protecting Trump. There's one way both of those can be true.
No Trump's lawyer's statement was a conditional i.e. If ...... then..... Not the same thing as a statement that SS screened participants of the meetings. By asking that conditional question he has prompted the above response from the Secret Service, that they didn't screen the attendees of the meeting because no one under Secret Service protection was present.

Trump's lawyer has thereby got the Secret Service to confirm that Donald Trump senior was neither at the meeting nor in the vicinity, thereby putting a stop to some of the speculation on that point. His job as a lawyer includes getting points like this across.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #601 on: July 17, 2017, 06:15:48 AM »

http://thehill.com/homenews/administration/342225-trump-lawyer-secret-service-wouldnt-let-trump-jr-take-nefarious
http://www.cnn.com/2017/07/16/politics/donald-trump-jr-jay-sekulow-secret-service/index.html

So.... Trump's lawyer says the Secret Service screened the meeting. The Secret Service says they were only protecting Trump. There's one way both of those can be true.
No Trump's lawyer's statement was a conditional i.e. If ...... then..... Not the same thing as a statement that SS screened participants of the meetings. By asking that conditional question he has prompted the above response from the Secret Service, that they didn't screen the attendees of the meeting because no one under Secret Service protection was present.

The conditional wasn't "If the Secret Service was there, ..." but “If this was nefarious, why'd the Secret Service allow these people in?” Sekulow clearly wasn't trying to get the Secret Service to say they weren't there but was boldly asserting they were there and using that to imply the meeting had to be the nothingburger Trumpists wish it were. It's also clear he didn't count on the Secret Service reacting to his attempt to include them in politics by swiftly issuing their own statement that turned his attempt into a liability instead of the asset he'd hoped for. He probably ought to stick to his own talk show where he can control the narrative if this is the best he can do.
EnglishPete

« Reply #602 on: July 17, 2017, 08:30:19 AM »

The conditional wasn't "If the Secret Service was there, ..." but “If this was nefarious, why'd the Secret Service allow these people in?” Sekulow clearly wasn't trying to get the Secret Service to say they weren't there but was boldly asserting they were there and using that to imply the meeting had to be the nothingburger Trumpists wish it were. It's also clear he didn't count on the Secret Service reacting to his attempt to include them in politics by swiftly issuing their own statement that turned his attempt into a liability instead of the asset he'd hoped for. He probably ought to stick to his own talk show where he can control the narrative if this is the best he can do.

He didn't "boldly assert" anything. He raised a question. The response he got got the SS to confirm that President Trump was not present nor in the vicinity at the meeting. As for the meeting being a nothingburger whilst there's no evidence of any wrongdoing on the part of Donald Trump Jr I think the meeting clearly was significant in terms of the reasons it was set up

EnglishPete

« Reply #603 on: July 17, 2017, 08:44:33 AM »

Well this is interesting

http://truepundit.com/russian-at-donald-trump-jr-meeting-worked-with-fbi-while-special-counsel-robert-mueller-was-fbi-director/
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #604 on: July 17, 2017, 09:09:30 AM »
« Edited: July 17, 2017, 09:30:37 AM by Hindsight is 2020 »

It's sad that I have Pete on ignore but I can still tell he is conspiracy spamming by the fact he is back to back posting
Comrade Funk
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -5.91

P P P

« Reply #605 on: July 17, 2017, 09:18:17 AM »

I know you don't care, but the difference between say the Washington Post and that blog is that WaPo journalists studied journalism and won't publish an article without backing evidence.

Milo wannabees on right-wing blogs aren't held to that standard.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #606 on: July 17, 2017, 09:20:41 AM »

It's sad that I hace Pete on ignore but I can still tell he is conspiracy spamming by the fact he is back to back posting

He is.
And it's more ridiculous than ever.
His content would do better if he were to post it on some comedy website.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #607 on: July 17, 2017, 09:23:54 AM »

I know you don't care, but the difference between say the Washington Post and that blog is that WaPo journalists studied journalism and won't publish an article without backing evidence.

LOL.
I was thinking the same thing. And they have the nerve to constantly shout-out "Fake" media.
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #608 on: July 17, 2017, 09:32:28 AM »
« Edited: July 17, 2017, 09:51:26 AM by Hindsight is 2020 »

I see Trump is entering the "this is how politics works" phase of trying to spin this https://mobile.twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/886950594220568576
EnglishPete

« Reply #609 on: July 17, 2017, 09:48:44 AM »

Is that why the Jeff Bezos blog has been caught time and again publishing fake news about Donald Trump?

As for journalists having Degrees in journalism, I'm afraid University degrees are fairly meaningless these days outside a few hard science and engineering subjects.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #610 on: July 17, 2017, 09:55:25 AM »

Insee Trump is entering the "this is how politics works" phase of trying to spin this https://mobile.twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/886950594220568576

Yeah,  he is an idiot.
What next ? ..... That it is OK to get opposition research from the Iranian Revolutionary Guard ?
To coordinate with Kim Jong-Un and North Korea to infiltrate and influence our elections ?
Just insanity. But of course, the ignorant trumpists will swallow it whole, because it comes from their Fuhrer.
Nyvin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #611 on: July 17, 2017, 10:07:58 AM »

It's hilarious how they transitioned from "We NEVER met with anyone from Russia!!!"

To

"Well, yeah, we met with Russia, but we didn't do anything with them!"

To

"Well yeah, we had a meeting to discuss opposition research with them, but so what?"

And they really expect everyone to overlook these transitions with not even an after thought.  

What a group of clowns.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #612 on: July 17, 2017, 10:08:03 AM »

I see Trump is entering the "this is how politics works" phase of trying to spin this https://mobile.twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/886950594220568576

Less that 24 hours from the latest round of "it didn't happen", too. That any of his followers still believe him about anything at all is even sadder than the fact that he's playing the President on TV.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #613 on: July 17, 2017, 11:05:27 AM »

He didn't "boldly assert" anything.
I suppose he didn't also go on five separate Sunday shows to spew his misinformation. If this is the best you can do, you might just have a place in the Trump Administration. As pathetic as your efforts have been, you'd fit right in.
EnglishPete

« Reply #614 on: July 17, 2017, 11:19:41 AM »

It's hilarious how they transitioned from "We NEVER met with anyone from Russia!!!"

Who said that? Nobody ever said that they never met anyone from Russia. Stop rewriting history to fit with your agenda.
Nyvin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #615 on: July 17, 2017, 11:29:25 AM »

Who said that? Nobody ever said that they never met anyone from Russia. Stop rewriting history to fit with your agenda.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2017/03/02/trump-teams-many-many-denials-contacts-russia/98625780/
EnglishPete

« Reply #616 on: July 17, 2017, 01:13:02 PM »

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2017/03/02/trump-teams-many-many-denials-contacts-russia/98625780/
You're conflating denial of contact between the campaign and the Russian government with denial of contact between the campaign and 'anyone from Russia'. Lots of people are from Russia, that doesn't make them minions of Putin. The lobbyists who turned up for the meeting were by all accounts NOT representatives of the Russian government so where's the contradiction?
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #617 on: July 17, 2017, 01:45:32 PM »
« Edited: July 17, 2017, 02:21:57 PM by ProudModerate2 »

Life must be nice and easy for someone like EnglishPete who lives in some kind of Disneyland Fantasy Land. Just make-up anything and truly believe in it, to fit your life's agenda.
Next we will hear that Tinker Bell has sprinkled Pixie Dust on trump's orange hair, and he now has 70% approval ratings, and all these current Fake numbers are just your imagination.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #618 on: July 17, 2017, 02:07:12 PM »

@ProudModerate2

I think that probably the only point in responding to EnglishPete is to offer a counterpoint to his absurdity (if that is even needed) for other users to see. But anyone thinking they will ever change his mind about anything would be making a tragic mistake. At best, he's just a guy who has already formed his opinion about Trump before anything ever happened, and he enters into every discussion with the assumption that whatever happened is either fake, a conspiracy against Trump, misunderstood and actually completely innocent, or even more, nothing to be alarmed about because both sides do it (or something like that). At worst, he's a troll trying to rile people up by playing the role of the ironclad supporter in the mold of Jeffrey Lord. I wouldn't necessarily fault people for that, I mean what can you realistically expect if you're constantly posting links to random right-wing blogs and acting as if they are proof, or have "interesting theories." All it proves is that Pete will believe anything anyone writes on a blog/news site so long as it aligns with his beliefs, which I must say is pretty ironic given how obsessed with calling out the fake news mainstream media Pete is.

Anyway, this thread is all but dead. The only purpose it serves now is for EnglishPete to rant about conspiracies and for people to argue with him, with some posts here and there about actual Trump/Don Jr scandal stuff. That is basically the future of all Atlas Russia threads now. They will get some interest for a time, but Pete will quickly become engrossed with it, driving it into the ground with his mindless blather as he fires off countless posts on every page.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #619 on: July 17, 2017, 02:39:16 PM »

@ProudModerate2

I think that probably the only point in responding to EnglishPete is to offer a counterpoint to his absurdity (if that is even needed) for other users to see. But anyone thinking they will ever change his mind about anything would be making a tragic mistake. At best, he's just a guy who has already formed his opinion about Trump before anything ever happened, and he enters into every discussion with the assumption that whatever happened is either fake, a conspiracy against Trump, misunderstood and actually completely innocent, or even more, nothing to be alarmed about because both sides do it (or something like that). At worst, he's a troll trying to rile people up by playing the role of the ironclad supporter in the mold of Jeffrey Lord. I wouldn't necessarily fault people for that, I mean what can you realistically expect if you're constantly posting links to random right-wing blogs and acting as if they are proof, or have "interesting theories." All it proves is that Pete will believe anything anyone writes on a blog/news site so long as it aligns with his beliefs, which I must say is pretty ironic given how obsessed with calling out the fake news mainstream media Pete is.

Anyway, this thread is all but dead. The only purpose it serves now is for EnglishPete to rant about conspiracies and for people to argue with him, with some posts here and there about actual Trump/Don Jr scandal stuff. That is basically the future of all Atlas Russia threads now. They will get some interest for a time, but Pete will quickly become engrossed with it, driving it into the ground with his mindless blather as he fires off countless posts on every page.

Can we just quarantine EnglishPete's Trump-Russia posts to one megathread?
Nyvin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #620 on: July 17, 2017, 02:40:03 PM »

You're conflating denial of contact between the campaign and the Russian government with denial of contact between the campaign and 'anyone from Russia'. Lots of people are from Russia, that doesn't make them minions of Putin. The lobbyists who turned up for the meeting were by all accounts NOT representatives of the Russian government so where's the contradiction?

I'm guessing now you're going to make the argument that Sergey Kislyak and Natalia Veselnitskaya have nothing to do with the Russian government, lol.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #621 on: July 17, 2017, 02:40:34 PM »

@ProudModerate2

We need to quarantine ProudModerate2's crappy little 3-line hit and run posts too.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #622 on: July 17, 2017, 02:49:05 PM »

@ProudModerate2

We need to quarantine ProudModerate2's crappy little 3-line hit and run posts too.

And Santander's posts would fall perfectly under a thread supporting bigotry.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #623 on: July 17, 2017, 02:59:28 PM »

How about having two megathreads for Trump/Russia, one limited to non-partisan reporting of events and discussion, and the other open to partisan posts?

(This is a serious suggestion.)
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #624 on: July 17, 2017, 03:04:10 PM »

The orange-haired clown is at it again.
He just cant seem to control himself with his Tweets.
These are from Sunday :

All this ridiculous Tweeting by trump is massively hurting him in the polls.
70% of those polls say that trump's behavior is UN-PRESIDENTIAL ...

Pages: 1 ... 20 21 22 23 24 [25] 26 27 28  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies