NY State Assembly 1st District
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 05:42:16 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  NY State Assembly 1st District
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: NY State Assembly 1st District  (Read 2574 times)
KEmperor
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: -0.05

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 13, 2005, 12:30:54 PM »

I just got a flyer in the mail today from the NY Democratic State Committee(which is unusual, they don't usually bother to mail campaign literature to registered Republicans) for a man who is running for State Assembly in my district.  Doing a little research myself, apparently my old assemblywoman resigned on June 16th and there is to be a special election.

Now, I know 99% of you probably don't care(and I don't blame you), but my point is this:  I would have never known about this had they not sent me the flyer, and I tend to pay attention to politics more than the average voter.  I think maybe there should be some sort of notification sent around by the state board of elections that there is to be a special election.  Do you agree?
Moooooo
nickshepDEM
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.65

« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2005, 12:34:41 PM »

Yes.

Do you watch your local news?  Have they said anything about the race?
KEmperor
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2005, 12:37:27 PM »

Yes.

Do you watch your local news?  Have they said anything about the race?

I don't watch the news every night, no.  I do read the local paper every so often, and I haven't seen anything about the race.  But they wouldn't have mentioned it other than maybe a little blurb anyway. One assembly seat out of 150 isn't exactly big news, unless there was a scandal.
Bleeding heart conservative, HTMLdon
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.03, S: -2.26

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2005, 01:01:09 PM »

Are you willing to pay more taxes to send out these notifications?  Sure its a relatively small expense, but all these little things add up.

Its not that it isn't a good idea... it'd just turn out to be a waste of money.  You can inform a voter about an election until the cows come home, but it won't make them get off their ass and vote.

I've been involved in several special elections down here since November.  They were on the news for weeks, plus the campaigns did everything possible to plead with voters to vote.   Best precinct we had was 15% turnout.

I wish that all you had to do was notify voters and they'd say "WOW, there's an election, I'd better go vote!", then I'd say yes to this idea.  But for now, it seems like a waste of money.
KEmperor
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2005, 01:37:52 PM »

Oh, and now that I have done further research, the vote is going to be in September, not in November with the regular General Election.  Yeah, turnout is going to be pretty low on this one.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2005, 02:14:54 PM »

shame on oyu kemp for not keeping up with local elections.  Smiley

state legislatures dont draw much interest from the average person. 

im the opposite.  i pay very close attention to the state legislature.
RBH

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2005, 03:45:37 PM »

I usually try checking around the first Tuesday of each month to see if there's some election in my town.

So far, it doesn't appear much is happening.
YRABNNRM
YoungRepub
Atlas Icon
United States
Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: -6.09

« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2005, 12:38:37 AM »

Oh, and now that I have done further research, the vote is going to be in September, not in November with the regular General Election.  Yeah, turnout is going to be pretty low on this one.

Turn out is going to be high for Republicans. It's GOP Primary day in a few towns in the district.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2005, 03:51:03 AM »

What's the district's partisan makeup? Who held it previously and by what kind of margin? How'd it go in the presidential?
And yes to the original question. Least the state can do. Also, print the location of the polling station on it.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2005, 04:47:00 AM »

2004 result: R 68.66%, D 31.34%
Held by the GOP for a very long time
KEmperor
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2005, 11:43:02 AM »
« Edited: August 14, 2005, 11:46:39 AM by AFCJ KEmperor »

What's the district's partisan makeup? Who held it previously and by what kind of margin? How'd it go in the presidential?

As of April 2005:

Republican:  40,185
Democrat:    24,255
No Party:     25,902
Others about 6000

The district is heavily Republican, and has been for at least a century.  I have no idea how the Presidential race went, as that kind of breakdown isn't avalible.  I suspect it probably went for Bush, considering Kerry only won the county by 1% and my assembly district includes some of the heaviest GOP areas.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2005, 03:31:10 AM »

As of April 2005:

Others about 6000

The district is heavily Republican, and has been for at least a century.  I have no idea how the Presidential race went, as that kind of breakdown isn't avalible.  I suspect it probably went for Bush, considering Kerry only won the county by 1% and my assembly district includes some of the heaviest GOP areas.
Okay thanks. (Damn, I could have done some random guesswork based on the district's number and come up with the same. Only difference is I wouldn't have known it to be true. Smiley )
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2005, 06:14:09 PM »

As of April 2005:

Others about 6000

It is a GOP district, but keep in mind the county had a 9/11 effect for Bush which the GOP probably won't benefit from this time & that while regristration is a GOP advantage keep inmind its been that way (look at 200 Nassau & Suffolk both had GOP regristration advantages, but in a tight nnational election, both went t Gore by double digits.  The 9/11 impact that helped the GOP last year is ow gone has Bush's #'s have dropped.  Assembly races probbly do favor the GOP with an advantage like that though, but where is the district.  I'm not exactly sure where Assembly District 1 is.  However you stated it has been in the most heavy GOP areas which tends to be in the Brookhaven area as far as I know & the Brookhaven GOP has been hammered with corruption scandal after corruption scandal of late & inner turmoil within the Brookhaven GOP.  So if it is Brookhaven despite, the GOP advanatge they could be in trouble with all the scandals that have been coming out of the Brookhaven GOP
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2005, 06:16:52 PM »

As of April 2005:

Others about 6000

It is a GOP district, but keep in mind the county had a 9/11 effect for Bush which the GOP probably won't benefit from this time & that while regristration is a GOP advantage keep inmind its been that way (look at 200 Nassau & Suffolk both had GOP regristration advantages, but in a tight nnational election, both went t Gore by double digits.  The 9/11 impact that helped the GOP last year is ow gone has Bush's #'s have dropped.  Assembly races probbly do favor the GOP with an advantage like that though, but where is the district.  I'm not exactly sure where Assembly District 1 is.  However you stated it has been in the most heavy GOP areas which tends to be in the Brookhaven area as far as I know & the Brookhaven GOP has been hammered with corruption scandal after corruption scandal of late & inner turmoil within the Brookhaven GOP.  So if it is Brookhaven despite, the GOP advanatge they could be in trouble with all the scandals that have been coming out of the Brookhaven GOP

The Brookhaven GOP is machine politics alive and well.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2005, 06:19:02 PM »

As of April 2005:

Others about 6000

The Brookhaven GOP is machine politics alive and well.

They have been hit hard over the past few months with various scandls one of which has forced one of their most prominant members Jon LaValle to not run for re-election, lots of in fighting as well.  Kind of reminds me of the Nassau County GOP machine before it burst into flames.
KEmperor
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2005, 11:23:25 PM »

As of April 2005:

Others about 6000

Actually, only the northeastern quarter of Brookhaven is included.    The heavy GOP areas I was talking about were Southold and especially Shelter Island.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2005, 01:28:19 AM »

As of April 2005:

Others about 6000

Actually, only the northeastern quarter of Brookhaven is included.    The heavy GOP areas I was talking about were Southold and especially Shelter Island.

Ahh so your WAYYY out in East Bumble#$@^
KEmperor
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2005, 06:56:29 AM »

As of April 2005:

Others about 6000

Ahh so your WAYYY out in East Bumble#$@^

LOL, a bit.  The district consists of Shelter Island, the North Fork, Riverhead, and about a quarter of Brookhaven.
Kevinstat

« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2005, 10:41:52 PM »

I just looked at this thread tonight.  Who won the election?  Was the result at all surprising?
YRABNNRM
YoungRepub
Atlas Icon
United States
Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: -6.09

« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2005, 10:43:27 PM »

I just looked at this thread tonight.  Who won the election?  Was the result at all surprising?

The Democrats won a close race in what was a Republican district.
Kevinstat

« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2005, 10:54:52 PM »

[I started to write this post before I read AndrewBerger's reply.  I've decided not to change it, but thanks for the quick response Andrew.]

Looks like the Democratic nominee won.  I assume the Democrats still are the majority party in the New York State Assembly.

http://www.assembly.state.ny.us/Press/20050914/

It's interesting that such a clearly partisan press release is in the "What's New" section of the Allembly's main web site.  Usually that kind of press release is in a section of a public web site specifically denoted as one for a party caucus in that chamber (if not a different site altoghther - each caucus in each house of the Maine Legislature has their own site which I think is funded with taxpayer money but is not the main site for either chamber, and many conservatives still got angry at one press release on the Democrats' site that criticized the Republicans).  Are the Republicans as bad with the Senate's web site?  (Hopefully members of both parties in New York will respond to this question so I'll get both sides of the story.)
KEmperor
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2005, 11:42:09 PM »
« Edited: September 23, 2005, 11:44:05 PM by AFCJ KEmperor »

[I started to write this post before I read AndrewBerger's reply.  I've decided not to change it, but thanks for the quick response Andrew.]

Looks like the Democratic nominee won.  I assume the Democrats still are the majority party in the New York State Assembly.

http://www.assembly.state.ny.us/Press/20050914/

It's interesting that such a clearly partisan press release is in the "What's New" section of the Allembly's main web site.  Usually that kind of press release is in a section of a public web site specifically denoted as one for a party caucus in that chamber (if not a different site altoghther - each caucus in each house of the Maine Legislature has their own site which I think is funded with taxpayer money but is not the main site for either chamber, and many conservatives still got angry at one press release on the Democrats' site that criticized the Republicans).  Are the Republicans as bad with the Senate's web site?  (Hopefully members of both parties in New York will respond to this question so I'll get both sides of the story.)

As far as I can tell, the Assembly website seems to be a platform for the Democratic majority(and more so Majority Leader Silver)  to criticize the Republican Governor.  Yes, the "news" there reads like an op-ed piece for a liberal newspaper.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies