Favorite recent post by the previous poster
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 08, 2024, 03:06:53 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Favorite recent post by the previous poster
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 40 41 42 [43] 44 45 46 47 48 ... 74
Author Topic: Favorite recent post by the previous poster  (Read 79593 times)
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1050 on: July 18, 2018, 12:11:56 AM »

Honestly, if Feingold had won his 2016 Senate race, he'd probably my most preferred 2020 choice right now.

Tough to decide between Gore and Feingold.
Atlas Force
mlee117379
United States

« Reply #1051 on: July 18, 2018, 12:25:34 AM »

*Groans about the GOP “destroying our norms & institutions”*

*Wants to delegitimize the integrity of the SCOTUS by packing it and abolish the Constitutionally mandated institution for electing the president*

The Supreme Court has already been de-legitimized by having a Justice that doesn't belong. The country deserves some sort of retribution for that.
Robert Bork.

Received a full vote before the US Senate and was rejected by members of both parties.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1052 on: July 18, 2018, 03:57:55 PM »

>Daily Caller
>Insert thinking face emoji here
Atlas Force
mlee117379
United States

« Reply #1053 on: July 19, 2018, 04:35:58 PM »

To stop my inner nerd for a moment and not get into scales and ranks, and thus keep it short:

It's a travesty when judged on the merits of Batman lore, the pacing and plotting are seriously off, and Christopher Walken's character was utterly pointless, and it's very disappointing to watch on the heels of 1989.

But the atmosphere, story beats, general tone, acting performances, direction, and most especially Danny Elfman's score make it worthwhile and certainly much better than it sounds.

Freedom film.

Bleach Blonde Bad Built Butch Bodies for Biden
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

P P P

« Reply #1054 on: July 21, 2018, 03:29:40 PM »

Collins voted for Sam Alito and then won a landslide in 2008.
But that was a different time, back when the SC was viewed as nonpartisan. Things have changed, and Dems have changed. If the challenger said that she voted to confirm Neil and Brett, and what they ruled on in the words of Lord Buckethead "i would be a sh$&show"(any Brits out there)

Collins has usually won both the first and second district, but Im not so sure she will win the first after everything. She has faced declining approval, and couldnt even win a primary for Gov. in her own state. She is vulnerable, but still a favorite for now.

This is just flagrantly untrue, as demonstrated by the fact that Sam Alito (who was confirmed unanimously to the 3rd circuit) only got 4 Democrat votes, all of which were up for re-election in red states in 2006.

At the time the Democrat party was upset about the rout in the 2004 election, and the loser of the 2004 election was undertaking an unprecedented partisan filibuster of a SC nominee to make himself feel better.

Literally nothing has changed.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samuel_Alito_Supreme_Court_nomination#Filibuster

All but 25 senators voted for cloture on Alito’s nomination. And what’s more important, voting to let the nominee have a final vote, or just showing that you don’t agree with the nominee that you’ve already voted for to have a full vote? Oh yeah, and the Gang of Fourteen was a thing too.

Collins voted for Sam Alito and then won a landslide in 2008.

You know it's bad when krazen is the voice of reason.

Then again, we had people on this forum insisting Shenna Bellows had a chance. lol
Collins won in 2008 and 2014 because she still had a veneer of moderation. That has disappeared in the Trump Years. She was expected to be a check on Trump. She has not been.

Ah, yes. Voters in 2014 expected their Senator to be a check on a President who had not been elected yet.

For the record, Collins voted against 2 of George W. Bush's 320 something judicial nominees. Veneer of moderation as you say. Good luck with your odds.

If the Supreme Court was seen as nonpartisan, so were district courts which are even lesser-profile.
YE
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -0.52

« Reply #1055 on: July 21, 2018, 03:34:22 PM »

My ideal safety net would consist of a UBI and universal access to Medicare, either through a public option or single-payer program (along with patent reform + cutting waste within the healthcare system itself).  Either would be preferable to Obamacare in its current form.

The underlying principle of the safety net should be that everyone has enough to subsist on; after that it's up to you, and you get to decide how you want to contribute to society in the economic sphere.  I like the UBI better than job guarantees because a) it would be easier and less expensive for the government to maintain and b) job guarantees would produce more redundant, unnecessary jobs that already dominate the private sector.
_
Not_Madigan
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.29, S: -7.74

« Reply #1056 on: July 21, 2018, 03:50:54 PM »

FFs. For the record, I'd be fine with a non for profit mutli-payer health care system but that isn't an easy sell to the public. No average Joe is interested in hearing some nuanced and wonky health care system and "Medicare for All" just sells well since they approve of medicare as it is.  
Boobs
HCP
« Reply #1057 on: July 21, 2018, 03:54:44 PM »

The Patriot Star

Vol. IX
June, 1790

Of Tyrants and Liberty

My fellow Southerners and Americans, it appears that the First Secretary was sadly unable to produce a solution for the Westsylvania crisis, however it appears that Mr. Madison is not to blame.  The Radical Government of Pennsylvania, rather than being willing to recognize their suppression of liberty and allow the Westsylvanians a chance to decide their own fate, have instead stood firm in their tyranny and have refused any solution that allows Westsylvania a chance at freedom.  

I believe there is but one man behind the actions of the Radical Party and their betrayal of Liberty, Benjamin Franklin.  Mr. Franklin appears to have been tainted by Monarchism after his time in France, and has moved beyond his principles in the pursuit of power.  He and his Radicals have not only chosen to oppose the rights of man guaranteed in Pennsylvania's constitution, but oppose the enshrinement of Freedom of Speech, Press, Assembly, and Association among others by voting against the Declaration of Rights Amendments in the National Assembly.  In doing this, Mr. Franklin and his Radicals have proven themselves firm enemies of the natural rights of man, and allies of Monarchists such as the Tories.  With this, I grant Mr. Franklin a new title, Benedict Franklin, traitor to liberty.  

With the Pennsylvania government unwilling to give Westsylvania a chance at their freedom, I urge all those within the proposed state of Westsylvania to continue protesting for their freedom, and to never lie down in the face of Tyranny!  

To conclude, I offer this prayer.  May god bless Westsylvania with statehood, and the South and the Union with peace and prosperity.

Leader of the Patriots and Deputy in exile
James Jackson

Atlas Force
mlee117379
United States

« Reply #1058 on: July 21, 2018, 05:21:11 PM »

The Red Avatars would be cheering on the nonsense of the Weimar Republic.

Whereas you would only be cheering for the Third Reich?
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.48, S: -1.83

« Reply #1059 on: July 31, 2018, 11:50:36 AM »

Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #1060 on: July 31, 2018, 01:14:22 PM »

How do you not support somebody who rescues kittens?

wxtransit
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: 2.43

« Reply #1061 on: July 31, 2018, 01:29:06 PM »

The whole comment chain that this post started is amazing.
NEW JERSEY FOR MENENDEZ
Admiral President
YaBB God
United States Minor Outlying Islands

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -0.70

P P P

« Reply #1062 on: July 31, 2018, 01:40:52 PM »

Atlas Force
mlee117379
United States

« Reply #1063 on: July 31, 2018, 01:45:29 PM »

1. Paul Nehlen will not win the Republican nomination in WI-1.
2. Nehlen would have no chance of beating Randy Bryce or Cathy Myers in the general.
3. Nehlen would not switch to a Democrat.
4. Nehlen would never win a Democratic primary.
5. Bernie Sanders is Jewish, why the heck is he endorsing Nehlen???
No no you see the DEMONCRAPS are the REAL Nazis because I disagree with them.
HisGrace
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1064 on: August 01, 2018, 11:33:53 PM »

>Daily Caller
>Insert thinking face emoji here
Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.13, S: -0.87

P P P
« Reply #1065 on: August 02, 2018, 02:22:12 AM »

Don Vito Corleone
bruhgmger2
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -5.91

« Reply #1066 on: August 02, 2018, 08:21:02 AM »

Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1067 on: August 02, 2018, 11:27:06 AM »

Can't say I'm a fan of James Bond, but a film reference is certainly unique amongst this forum.
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #1068 on: August 02, 2018, 11:32:53 AM »

It has made the last 24 hours very entertaining.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #1069 on: August 02, 2018, 11:52:31 AM »

There wouldn't be a need to use the meme if overemotional SJWs stopped comparing the current administration to Nazi Germany.

If you seriously think this

is even remotely similar to an ICE Detention Center, you not only lack a basic understanding of history, but need some serious help.

You can't even compare the issue to Japanese-American Internment Camps, because once again, a basic understanding of history will tell you it's not the same.

Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1070 on: August 02, 2018, 12:17:16 PM »

End the tariffs, undo the tax cuts, expand the travel ban.

Throughout my first year I would at least try and focus on implementing universal healthcare, constructing a proper nationwide public transit system (high-speed rail throughout the country yes please), negotiating TTIP including a provision according to which multinationals will have to pay their fair share in taxes, and ending mass immigration by abolishing the diversity lottery and instating a (very low) cap on the total number of legal immigrants allowed. I'd also crack down on illegal immigration more than is currently the case and make life difficult for sanctuary cities in every possible way, and I'd replace the system of mass surveillance with a system that is much more targeted towards specific individuals behaving suspiciously.
Atlas Force
mlee117379
United States

« Reply #1071 on: August 09, 2018, 12:03:29 PM »

There have been more words written about Healthcare.  I see no reason why we can't have a Canadian-style healthcare system in America, except for the faux issues that are raised.

"You won't be able to choose your doctor!".  Can people do this now?  Or do they have to go to the Doctor "on the plan", assuming they have a "plan"?  When you're suddenly sick, do you go to your "Family Doctor"?  Or is he/she booked up to where you go to a walk-in clinic? 

I will never, never, never say that America has "the greatest healthcare system in the world".  Why would I say this when so many cannot access its greatness for lack of funds, and others can't access it without going bankrupt?  Go into your local ER sometime and check out the indigents there.  You can see things like people with broken bones leaving with a splint, but the bone not really set, and a "referral" to an orthopedist for a consultation that they can't pay for (let alone the cost of the treatment).  Or people with all sorts of missing teeth and gum disease that hasn't been treated and never will be.  The last time I was there, I sat across from a middle aged lady with ongoing unmanaged asthma who had come down with bronchitis that she feared had turned into pneumonia; she was treating herself with over-the-counter inhalers because she couldn't afford the costs of seeing the doctor in order to keep her prescriptions up, and she couldn't afford the prescriptions with her present cost of housing.  (She waited almost an hour before they brought her back to a room; a new privatized entity had taken over management of the ER.)  She told me that she worked 50 hours a week, but this was at two  (2) separate part-time jobs, neither of which offered health insurance.

I will say that I am not convinced that most Republicans, and even a lot of well-off Democrats, give a crap about the sick and suffering in America.  They grouse about "Medicaid", but what is that grousing saying?  Is that grousing their expressed desire to see the "welfare poor" suffer their illnesses without "costing them money" the way the working poor that don't qualify for means-tested healthcare do?  All this talk about taxes and financial responsibility; I get that, but these folks who seem to hate universal public healthcare NEVER HAVE A PLAN FOR THE UNINSURED TO RECEIVE HEALTHCARE WITHOUT BECOMING DESTITUTE.  They become defensive when they are accused of a posture of "Let 'em suffer!", or even "Let 'em die!", but, honestly, what to Ted Cruz's words imply?  Or the words of the Death and Suffering Freedom Caucus?

And I will give a shout-out to Donald Trump on this.  Trump is a guy that I believed understood that you can't have a middle class society when people are dying in the streets from lack of healthcare in great numbers, but his advocacies today are leading to just exactly that.  He knows better, but he wanted a "win" and a political alliance, so he's abandoned what he appeared to know for being buds with Jim Jordan and that other moron from North Carolina whose name escapes me now.  This is the main reason I state that I have not decided whom I will vote for in 2020 as of yet.

But, no, we don't have the greatest Healthcare system in the world.  If we provide the most up to date Rolls Royces for the government bureaucrats of Cuba, they won't have the best automobiles in the world, either.

OSR STANDS WITH PALESTINE
NOTTYLER
United States

« Reply #1072 on: August 09, 2018, 05:04:04 PM »

There have been more words written about Healthcare.  I see no reason why we can't have a Canadian-style healthcare system in America, except for the faux issues that are raised.

"You won't be able to choose your doctor!".  Can people do this now?  Or do they have to go to the Doctor "on the plan", assuming they have a "plan"?  When you're suddenly sick, do you go to your "Family Doctor"?  Or is he/she booked up to where you go to a walk-in clinic? 

I will never, never, never say that America has "the greatest healthcare system in the world".  Why would I say this when so many cannot access its greatness for lack of funds, and others can't access it without going bankrupt?  Go into your local ER sometime and check out the indigents there.  You can see things like people with broken bones leaving with a splint, but the bone not really set, and a "referral" to an orthopedist for a consultation that they can't pay for (let alone the cost of the treatment).  Or people with all sorts of missing teeth and gum disease that hasn't been treated and never will be.  The last time I was there, I sat across from a middle aged lady with ongoing unmanaged asthma who had come down with bronchitis that she feared had turned into pneumonia; she was treating herself with over-the-counter inhalers because she couldn't afford the costs of seeing the doctor in order to keep her prescriptions up, and she couldn't afford the prescriptions with her present cost of housing.  (She waited almost an hour before they brought her back to a room; a new privatized entity had taken over management of the ER.)  She told me that she worked 50 hours a week, but this was at two  (2) separate part-time jobs, neither of which offered health insurance.

I will say that I am not convinced that most Republicans, and even a lot of well-off Democrats, give a crap about the sick and suffering in America.  They grouse about "Medicaid", but what is that grousing saying?  Is that grousing their expressed desire to see the "welfare poor" suffer their illnesses without "costing them money" the way the working poor that don't qualify for means-tested healthcare do?  All this talk about taxes and financial responsibility; I get that, but these folks who seem to hate universal public healthcare NEVER HAVE A PLAN FOR THE UNINSURED TO RECEIVE HEALTHCARE WITHOUT BECOMING DESTITUTE.  They become defensive when they are accused of a posture of "Let 'em suffer!", or even "Let 'em die!", but, honestly, what to Ted Cruz's words imply?  Or the words of the Death and Suffering Freedom Caucus?

And I will give a shout-out to Donald Trump on this.  Trump is a guy that I believed understood that you can't have a middle class society when people are dying in the streets from lack of healthcare in great numbers, but his advocacies today are leading to just exactly that.  He knows better, but he wanted a "win" and a political alliance, so he's abandoned what he appeared to know for being buds with Jim Jordan and that other moron from North Carolina whose name escapes me now.  This is the main reason I state that I have not decided whom I will vote for in 2020 as of yet.

But, no, we don't have the greatest Healthcare system in the world.  If we provide the most up to date Rolls Royces for the government bureaucrats of Cuba, they won't have the best automobiles in the world, either.

Sad this his best post is quoting another poster
Thunder98
United States

P P P
« Reply #1073 on: August 09, 2018, 05:15:13 PM »

Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1074 on: August 09, 2018, 05:33:36 PM »

Many Trump voters decided to stay home and Minority turnout spikes.

Newsom 351 - Pence 187

Pages: 1 ... 38 39 40 41 42 [43] 44 45 46 47 48 ... 74  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies