Did Appalachians vote their economic interests? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 03:20:29 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Dereich)
  Did Appalachians vote their economic interests? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Did Appalachians vote their economic interests?
Yes, and wisely so.

Yes, but they are probably regretting it now.

Yes, but other factors were involved.

No.

Other

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 89

Author Topic: Did Appalachians vote their economic interests?  (Read 5887 times)
Rover
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.18, S: -4.42

« on: June 18, 2020, 12:23:02 PM »

There are a lot of bigoted posts directed towards the Appalachians by people I suspect never even laid a food in the Appalachia.  
To answer the question "did Appalachian vote their economic interests"?
First let's check voter turnout:
West Virginia:
2000: 46.6%
2004: 55.5%
2008: 51.2%
2012: 46.3%
2016: 50.2%
http://www.electproject.org/home/voter-turnout/voter-turnout-data

I thought about adding Kentucky, however, the Appalachian parts of Kentucky make up around 18% of Kentucky's population. With been said, voter turnout on average was lower in eastern Kentucky when compared to other parts of the state. The same goes for the Appalachian counties of Pennsylvania, Tennessee, Virginia, North Carolina, and Ohio. Turnout in Appalachian parts of the state is almost always lower.  

But let take West Virginia as the prime example. For the past 20 years turnout been around (46% to 51%), with 2004 as an exception to the rule. The higher turnout in 2004 might be due to both Bush and Kerry campaigning in West Virginia, although it wasn't highly contested.
So let's get to the point, almost half of Appalachians don't vote, and the other half that does bother to vote are more likely to vote GOP.

Like many people already mentioned here, Appalachians aren't as religious as people portray them. And from the people I've come across they tend to be distrustful of all politicians.

The Appalachia is really poor, the levels of poverty are shocking. I drove more than 10 times from Massachusetts to Tennesse back and forth to visit a good friend of mine, and each time I drive-through the Appalachia I'm amazed by the sheer level of poverty. Whenever I'm visiting my friend I drive through a new route to experience and enjoy the views and it's just more poverty.    

Back when I used to serve in the Navy, I've come across many sailors, soldiers, marines, etc who come from the Appalachia region. Most of them didn't join the military because patriotism but rather because they wanted to go to college, their parents couldn't afford to pay for their school, so they joined the military because if you serve you're entitled to free college after your service, many did serve because of patriotism and to serve their country but many more because of paid college fees afterward. Of course, it's not only Appalachian do that, many guys do that from all over the country. In the ship that I served at, there were a lot Appalachians, I don't know if people from Appalachia are more likely to serve than other parts of the US, but it certainly felt like it when I used to serve.

Inside a Life-Saving Rural Clinic in Appalachia
https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/vdx5j8/watching-lives-get-saved-and-teeth-get-pulled-at-a-remote-medical-clinic-in-appalachia-ang

Left out of health debate, Appalachian poor seek free care
https://apnews.com/865c6779fa90457bbb6cb62dc4d54e73

Americans lining up for hours to get free medical, dental help, and free prescriptions. Great acts of kindness, but these events shouldn't be necessary.

The nation trusts the Democrats more than the GOP on poverty, education, and healthcare. which logically means those communities should be Democratic voters, Yet they aren't.
Democrats shouldn't be whining why those people are voting Republicans, because most of them don't even vote. They should be deeply embarrassed for not making some real effort to reach out to those people. LBJ went to visit the Appalachia, while the great society didn't really succeed, he at least tried to help them.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies