Did Appalachians vote their economic interests? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 08:41:41 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Dereich)
  Did Appalachians vote their economic interests? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Did Appalachians vote their economic interests?
Yes, and wisely so.

Yes, but they are probably regretting it now.

Yes, but other factors were involved.

No.

Other

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 89

Author Topic: Did Appalachians vote their economic interests?  (Read 5907 times)
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« on: June 29, 2017, 11:15:16 AM »

Does "cosmopolitan Democrats" include literally all Democrats who live in a major metro area?  Is the 35-year old Black woman in Chicago who never went to college and earns $30,000 per year and is a card-carrying Democrat a "cosmopolitan Democrat"?  I'd argue the Republican living in the small town of Galena, IL who went to college and makes $100,000 per year is more "cosmopolitan."
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2020, 06:16:48 PM »

I think they voted for the candidate who they believed respected them, their family and their communities MUCH more.  Whether or not you agree with that is another thing, but I think many of these people didn't have to infer all that much to come to the conclusion that Hillary Clinton and many other Democrats in other areas of the country thought VERY little of them (I mean, just look at a lot of the posts here), and they felt the only dignified thing to do was not vote for them ... kind of like a New York Republican who might have liked Ted Cruz's views refusing to vote for him after the "New York values" thing.

This is to say nothing *better* about the GOP platform for Appalachia, but it IS my opinion that Trump signaled a bit more dignity their way than Clinton or any past Republican or Democrat of the past twenty years.  So, they didn't "vote their economic interests," but I think a lot of them would readily admit that.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2020, 02:40:49 PM »

I think they voted for the candidate who they believed respected them, their family and their communities MUCH more.  Whether or not you agree with that is another thing, but I think many of these people didn't have to infer all that much to come to the conclusion that Hillary Clinton and many other Democrats in other areas of the country thought VERY little of them (I mean, just look at a lot of the posts here), and they felt the only dignified thing to do was not vote for them ... kind of like a New York Republican who might have liked Ted Cruz's views refusing to vote for him after the "New York values" thing.

This is to say nothing *better* about the GOP platform for Appalachia, but it IS my opinion that Trump signaled a bit more dignity their way than Clinton or any past Republican or Democrat of the past twenty years.  So, they didn't "vote their economic interests," but I think a lot of them would readily admit that.

Because Donald Trump is nothing else if not all about dignity.

it would be much more accurate to say that trumps campaign wasn't so much about extending dignity or respect towards such voters, but rather demonizing their perceived enemies and "the other".

I was trying to analyze what I thought to be these peoples' rationale for their vote - not internet posters' opinion of why they voted that way.  I DO believe most Trump voters in this region saw things in a similar way to what I typed, and I don't think most thought of themselves as going to the polls to stop "the other," even if YOU think they did.

If you want to call them stupid for thinking like that, that's your right.  You'd certainly find friends ready to jump in here.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies