MD-Gov: Don't be Jealous!
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 11:52:12 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  MD-Gov: Don't be Jealous!
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13
Author Topic: MD-Gov: Don't be Jealous!  (Read 31604 times)
Zaybay
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.25, S: -6.50

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #200 on: July 23, 2018, 04:59:56 PM »

Hogan is out with his first attack ad, and it looks like an effective one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8r1y1u10tWY&feature=youtu.be

As I've said, unless Ben Jealous has some plan to pay for it, state single-payer is a no-go. A single payer system in MD would cost a bit over half the state's budget. Despite Maryland's left-leaning ideology, people here do care about the debt. It's why most people think the state is going in the right direction.

I will note however, that the ad doesn't mention that a single-payer system would remove healthcare costs.

surprised Hogan went on the offensive already. Not the best strategy, but I guess hes trying to define him early.
Because he's actually in trouble.

He’s in much less trouble than he could be. Listen guys, don’t fall into the trap of thinking just because MD is a blue state, that Jealous should be favored. There are a lot of people here who are liberals or progressive who can’t stand the thought of an increase in the sales or income tax. There are plenty who still remember the hysteria over the rain tax. Jealous is going to have to run one hell of a campaign to get the people he needs out to vote. I think Rushern Baker would have been a better choice, honestly. Jealous’s plans are really better implemented at the Federal level.

I think it’s too early to make a prediction right now.
Ummm, most of us think Hogan is fine, I have the race as Lean R. What I was surprised is how he immediately went negative. When you are a candidate who is moderate in bad territory, you try to shore yourself up, and make you look like the better choice to the public.

The point of negative ads is to keep the enemy base at home and inspire your base. They create an USvsTHEM attitude. This would work in a swing state, or a state that leans one direction or another by less than 5 on the PVI scale. MD is not the state to do this. What this does is anger Democrats who might have supported him, and solidify his hold over Rs, which are not enough to win in this case.

If he keeps going negative, especially on healthcare, he might slip up, and lose. Baker and Scott are playing smart, talking about achievements and positive messages, Hogan is not.
WritOfCertiorari

« Reply #201 on: July 23, 2018, 05:02:52 PM »

As I've said, unless Ben Jealous has some plan to pay for it, state single-payer is a no-go. A single payer system in MD would cost a bit over half the state's budget. Despite Maryland's left-leaning ideology, people here do care about the debt. It's why most people think the state is going in the right direction.

I will note however, that the ad doesn't mention that a single-payer system would remove healthcare costs.

surprised Hogan went on the offensive already. Not the best strategy, but I guess hes trying to define him early.

He’s in much less trouble than he could be. Listen guys, don’t fall into the trap of thinking just because MD is a blue state, that Jealous should be favored. There are a lot of people here who are liberals or progressive who can’t stand the thought of an increase in the sales or income tax. There are plenty who still remember the hysteria over the rain tax. Jealous is going to have to run one hell of a campaign to get the people he needs out to vote. I think Rushern Baker would have been a better choice, honestly. Jealous’s plans are really better implemented at the Federal level.

Ummm, most of us think Hogan is fine, I have the race as Lean R. What I was surprised is how he immediately went negative. When you are a candidate who is moderate in bad territory, you try to shore yourself up, and make you look like the better choice to the public. The point of negative ads is to keep the enemy base at home and inspire your base. Hogan's base is not enough to win. If he keeps going negative, especially on healthcare, he might slip up, and lose. Baker and Scott are playing smart, talking about achievements and positive messages, Hogan is not.

Oh I definitely agree with that. Honestly, when I saw the title, I though it would be Jealous attacking Hogan. However, I saw many people on this forum saying that Hogan would be Erliched.
Zaybay
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #202 on: July 23, 2018, 05:07:50 PM »

Ummm, most of us think Hogan is fine, I have the race as Lean R. What I was surprised is how he immediately went negative. When you are a candidate who is moderate in bad territory, you try to shore yourself up, and make you look like the better choice to the public. The point of negative ads is to keep the enemy base at home and inspire your base. Hogan's base is not enough to win. If he keeps going negative, especially on healthcare, he might slip up, and lose. Baker and Scott are playing smart, talking about achievements and positive messages, Hogan is not.

Oh I definitely agree with that. Honestly, when I saw the title, I though it would be Jealous attacking Hogan. However, I saw many people on this forum saying that Hogan would be Erliched.

TBH, I thought the same thing. Thats the problem.

Hogan is the weakest of the 4 moderate Rs(Baker, Sununu, Scott). He has to content with a high AA and minority population, which gives Dems a higher floor, unlike in MA, VT, and NH, where White Democrats are fine with flipping for the right guy. He has to walk a tightrope, and be moderate enough to win over Ds and Is, while also being conservative enough to win Rs.

Going full attack ad already, and on an energizing issue for Dems, is a risky move at best. 1. This increases his name recognition, and in a way that says he want single payer 2. As I said before, Single Payer really gets out the Dem Base. I dunno the idea for this. This feels more like desperation , rather than from a position of strength. Perhaps this race is rather close, or has Jealous leading? I dunno. All in all, not the best move.
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -8.78

« Reply #203 on: July 23, 2018, 06:39:40 PM »

The fact that he is instantly going negative does not bode well for him, I think.
MT Treasurer
IndyRep
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #204 on: July 25, 2018, 09:56:44 AM »

Which part of the state is going to be Hogan's biggest headache? I know Jealous did much better in the Baltimore area than the D.C. suburbs, but I feel like Hogan's numbers are more likely to collapse in the latter than the former.
wesmoorenerd
westroopnerd
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -7.13

« Reply #205 on: July 25, 2018, 10:06:38 AM »

Which part of the state is going to be Hogan's biggest headache? I know Jealous did much better in the Baltimore area than the D.C. suburbs, but I feel like Hogan's numbers are more likely to collapse in the latter than the former.

Baltimore unless Jealous turns out to be a stronger than expected candidate. Jealous naturally has a high floor in Baltimore and he's a good fit for the area. Jealous is a worse fit for the DC suburbs, but if he does a really good job of tying Hogan to Trump and the national GOP, he can snap them back into the Dem column. It may be tough, but that alone would win it for him.
PragmaticPopulist
Ireland, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -5.57

« Reply #206 on: July 25, 2018, 02:32:03 PM »

Baltimore unless Jealous turns out to be a stronger than expected candidate. Jealous naturally has a high floor in Baltimore and he's a good fit for the area. Jealous is a worse fit for the DC suburbs, but if he does a really good job of tying Hogan to Trump and the national GOP, he can snap them back into the Dem column. It may be tough, but that alone would win it for him.
I actually think it's the other way around. I think Hogan will do best in the Baltimore suburbs. The DC suburbs are less elastic, and Hogan's from Anne Arundel County. (which is technically in the Baltimore metro)
Zaybay
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #207 on: July 25, 2018, 02:49:10 PM »

I actually think it's the other way around. I think Hogan will do best in the Baltimore suburbs. The DC suburbs are less elastic, and Hogan's from Anne Arundel County. (which is technically in the Baltimore metro)
TBH, Hogan has a lot of things going against him in both areas.
Jealous fits more with the Baltimore suburbs, and the area has a lot of AAs, which should keep his floor high. The DC suburbs, on the other hand, are very inelastic and also have a pretty good chunk of AA voters.
I think Hogan has the better chance in DC, but thats just by a hair.
PragmaticPopulist
Ireland, Republic of

Political Matrix

« Reply #208 on: July 25, 2018, 03:53:28 PM »

Jealous fits more with the Baltimore suburbs, and the area has a lot of AAs, which should keep his floor high. The DC suburbs, on the other hand, are very inelastic and also have a pretty good chunk of AA voters.
In 2014, Hogan carried Baltimore County 59-39. While I don't think he'll do that well this time around, he is still quite popular there. Jealous only really has connections to Baltimore City, which is distinct from the county.

Hogan also carried Anne Arundel County by a whopping 66-32. Again, I don't think Hogan's gonna do as well there, but I think he wins it by a large margin.

I also expect Hogan to improve in the DC suburbs. He's gained more support among nonwhites through heavy courting. While Jealous being nonwhite might offset it some, don't expect nonwhites to just "come home" to Democrats in this race.
Zaybay
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #209 on: July 25, 2018, 04:03:09 PM »
« Edited: July 25, 2018, 04:11:30 PM by Zaybay »

In 2014, Hogan carried Baltimore County 59-39. While I don't think he'll do that well this time around, he is still quite popular there. Jealous only really has connections to Baltimore City, which is distinct from the county.

Hogan also carried Anne Arundel County by a whopping 66-32. Again, I don't think Hogan's gonna do as well there, but I think he wins it by a large margin.

I also expect Hogan to improve in the DC suburbs. He's gained more support among nonwhites through heavy courting. While Jealous being nonwhite might offset it some, don't expect nonwhites to just "come home" to Democrats in this race.

Popularity and electability are two different things, and can be crucial.

While Hogan may be popular, will these voters turn out for him? Thats the question that Doug Jones will have in 2020, and Brown had in 2012. Elhrich faced that problem, and he lost, while Bullock faced that problem, and won.

Nonwhites will generally vote D, as AAs are one of the most inelastic groups in the USA. Especially with an AA candidate at the D helm, the D percentage of AA votes should be higher.

I dont know anything about MD politics, so excuse my lack of knowledge for some areas in the state.

But the suburbs of DC have been shown to be rather inelastic, even for popular candidates in the past. Baltimore county also has one of the larger AA percentages in the state, so it will have the highest D floor of all the counties.

I dont know which one will vote more R or more D, but again, there are a lot of factors going against Hogan in 2018. This race will largely be a race between Popularity and literally everything else.
PragmaticPopulist
Ireland, Republic of

Political Matrix

« Reply #210 on: July 25, 2018, 04:13:05 PM »

While Hogan may be popular, will these voters turn out for him? Thats the question that Doug Jones will have in 2020, and Brown had in 2012.

Nonwhites will generally vote D, as AAs are one of the most inelastic groups in the USA. Especially with an AA candidate at the D helm, the D percentage of AA votes should be higher.

I dont know anything about MD politics, so excuse my lack of knowledge for some areas in the state.

But the suburbs of DC have been shown to be rather inelastic, even for popular candidates in the past. Baltimore county also has one of the larger AA percentages in the state, so it will have the highest D floor of all the counties.

I dont know which one will vote more R or more D, but again, there are a lot of factors going against Hogan in 2018. This race will largely be a race between Popularity and literally everything else.
The reason why the suburbs around DC are inelastic is that they are largely nonwhite. The two main counties that make up most of what we refer to as the DC suburbs (Montgomery and Prince George's) are majority-minority.  Montgomery is only about 45% white, while Prince George's in only 19% white.

Meanwhile, the Baltimore suburbs (Baltimore Co, Anne Arundel, Howard) are still largely white. Baltimore is 65% white, Anne Arundel is 75% white, and Howard is 62% white.

Thus, Hogan has a significantly higher ceiling in the Baltimore suburbs than the DC suburbs.
Zaybay
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #211 on: July 25, 2018, 04:16:58 PM »

While Hogan may be popular, will these voters turn out for him? Thats the question that Doug Jones will have in 2020, and Brown had in 2012.

The reason why the suburbs around DC are inelastic is that they are largely nonwhite. The two main counties that make up most of what we refer to as the DC suburbs (Montgomery and Prince George's) are majority-minority.  Montgomery is only about 45% white, while Prince George's in only 19% white.

Meanwhile, the Baltimore suburbs (Baltimore Co, Anne Arundel, Howard) are still largely white. Baltimore is 65% white, Anne Arundel is 75% white, and Howard is 62% white.

Thus, Hogan has a significantly higher ceiling in the Baltimore suburbs than the DC suburbs.
ah, didnt know that. So I guess it would be the DC suburbs that would be more against Hogan.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #212 on: July 25, 2018, 07:49:11 PM »

It will nice to not have one, but two AA governors
wesmoorenerd
westroopnerd
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -7.13

« Reply #213 on: July 25, 2018, 08:02:32 PM »

Well, I was talking more about Baltimore City than Baltimore County. Jealous will definitely do better in MoCo/PG than Baltimore County.
henster
YaBB God

« Reply #214 on: July 25, 2018, 09:09:41 PM »

Dems running on single payer in states is so dumb it has a terrible track record. Completely failed in VT and when it was up for a vote in CO got blown out. It's just not fiscally feasible for a state to do something like this. The Hogan ad is a good template of what Dems should expect when Rs start to campaign against single payer. 
libertpaulian
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #215 on: July 25, 2018, 09:21:04 PM »

Dems running on single payer in states is so dumb it has a terrible track record. Completely failed in VT and when it was up for a vote in CO got blown out. It's just not fiscally feasible for a state to do something like this. The Hogan ad is a good template of what Dems should expect when Rs start to campaign against single payer. 
Not to mention the health insurance industry is a prime economic engine in the state.
PragmaticPopulist
Ireland, Republic of

Political Matrix

« Reply #216 on: July 26, 2018, 08:18:08 AM »

Not to mention the health insurance industry is a prime economic engine in the state.

This is a big reason why I voted for Rushern Baker in the primary. Single-payer at the federal level is a different story, but at the state level? It's just not feasible. I'm very worried it would turn Maryland into the left-wing equivalent of Kansas or Oklahoma.
Zaybay
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #217 on: July 26, 2018, 03:56:02 PM »

This is a big reason why I voted for Rushern Baker in the primary. Single-payer at the federal level is a different story, but at the state level? It's just not feasible. I'm very worried it would turn Maryland into the left-wing equivalent of Kansas or Oklahoma.

I doubt that it will pass, TBH. The state legislature would not let it occur. But many other D initiatives could be passed.

As I said before, I think we are looking too deep into this issue. The average MDer is not going to be like "I like Single Payer and I like Democrats and I like Jealous, but its not workable on the state level, as 1/2 the state budget will go to this. Did you know healthcare is a major industry in this state? I think ill vote for the R." This is Atlas overthinking how politics work at its finest.

Whats more likely to happen is an energized D electorate is given an energizing issue and they will vote D or abstain. Hogan needs to draw people over to him, not try to attack the D. In fact, it would be a smarter idea, IMO, just to ignore Jealous, and try to get as many D and I voters as possible.

But, then again, Im not on Hogan's campaign team, so I have no idea what the actual motivation for launching the ad was.
No War, but the War on Christmas
iBizzBee
Junior Chimp

« Reply #218 on: August 09, 2018, 07:49:22 PM »

An F-Bomb About the S-Word

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2018/08/ben-jealous-drops-the-f-bomb-to-reject-the-socialism-label.html

I'm rock solid Hogan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=95&v=KJquWpcqF0I
Zaybay
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #219 on: August 09, 2018, 07:52:17 PM »

Bit overplayed, if you ask me, that he said that. Beto says it all the time, and so do all of us, and his was in response to a stupid question.
Anyway, wont effect the race
henster
YaBB God

« Reply #220 on: August 09, 2018, 07:56:44 PM »

Jealous is imploding, awful candidate I think he manages to lose by double digits.
Zaybay
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #221 on: August 09, 2018, 07:58:01 PM »

Jealous is imploding, awful candidate I think he manages to lose by double digits.
he just swore dude, its not that big of a deal. And Hogan would be stupid to run with this, so its likely no one will remember this after a week, or something.
Ohioguy29

« Reply #222 on: August 09, 2018, 08:04:26 PM »

I watched the interview where Jealous cussed. My verdict: he shouldn't have even apologized.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #223 on: August 09, 2018, 08:20:32 PM »

I watched the interview where Jealous cussed. My verdict: he shouldn't have even apologized.

Me too. Who even cares. Anyone who thinks pols don't swear, often perfusely, behind closed doors is deluding themselves. To see someone have a human moment at a rally and/or press conference is actually kind of refreshing.
Zaybay
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #224 on: August 09, 2018, 08:29:55 PM »

Me too. Who even cares. Anyone who thinks pols don't swear, often perfusely, behind closed doors is deluding themselves. To see someone have a human moment at a rally and/or press conference is actually kind of refreshing.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies