MD-Gov: Don't be Jealous!
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:34:28 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  MD-Gov: Don't be Jealous!
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13
Author Topic: MD-Gov: Don't be Jealous!  (Read 31595 times)
WritOfCertiorari

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #150 on: May 10, 2018, 12:03:23 PM »

Rest in peace. He was County Executive for quite a few years. I think he had a decent chance to win the primary honestly, with Baltimore County being pretty important on the Democratic side.
Bidenworth2020
politicalmasta73
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #151 on: May 10, 2018, 03:37:51 PM »

oh man, this really hits hard. I knew the family well.
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -8.78

« Reply #152 on: May 10, 2018, 03:45:55 PM »

Holy hell, this is shocking. And so young.
fluffypanther19
United States

« Reply #153 on: May 10, 2018, 03:47:34 PM »

Damn RIP
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix

« Reply #154 on: May 10, 2018, 03:52:27 PM »

And already the conspiracy theorists are flying.

Apparently Hillary killed him, according to MAGA twitter.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #155 on: May 10, 2018, 04:35:02 PM »

RIP
Predictor
TWRAddict
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -2.96

« Reply #156 on: May 10, 2018, 04:56:09 PM »

Very sad to hear! My dad's only a few years older than Kamenetz and stuff like this makes me worry about him.
swf541

« Reply #157 on: May 11, 2018, 10:54:56 AM »

RIP very sad, was considering voting for him too.
History505
« Reply #158 on: May 12, 2018, 06:23:54 PM »

RIP.
Kleine Scheiße
PeteHam
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.16, S: -1.74

P P

« Reply #159 on: May 22, 2018, 12:50:39 PM »
« Edited: May 22, 2018, 12:54:46 PM by Celes »

Disappointing debate last night.

I have absolutely no idea how Baker is the frontrunner; Ervin did well and I like her but she’s not going to be able to convince the Democratic establishment this isn’t just a vanity run; Shea finally managed to articulate why he’s running (all too late); Ross came off like he’s been binging on clips of Swalwell for the past month and I’m less confident about voting for him.

Madaleno did really well, actually and I’m now considering voting for him; Vignarajah was cool but I’m too concerned about her residency scandal to want to give her the nomination and she’s hardly a convincing speaker; Jones came out of nowhere and really impressed me but I’m just not yet willing to go for a marginal candidate with zero presence outside of presidential elections — my vote could actualy count here; and Jealous, as always, did fine and is just a horrible fit for the state.

We have a lot of work to do. This bench is horribly ill-equipped to beat Hogan.

I wasn’t the biggest fan of Kamenetz while he was running, I’ll admit. Saw him at a forum event and he fumbled a question on education (“our graduates should leave school with two things: a job in hand, and a... a job in hand”). Watching the rest of the field a couple months later, though, I can’t help but think my initial perception of him as a competent if goofy administrator was wrong. He could’ve had a decent shot, looking back.
_
Not_Madigan
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.29, S: -7.74

« Reply #160 on: May 22, 2018, 12:58:04 PM »

Celes, can you be a bit more specific on how Baker performed?  Cause I thought he was a decently articulate candidate.
Kleine Scheiße
PeteHam
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #161 on: May 22, 2018, 01:15:32 PM »
« Edited: May 22, 2018, 01:19:09 PM by Celes »

Sure, he’s a decently articulate candidate and he did a fine job as PG county executive, but he’s just so profoundly boring.

I’ve been attending candidate forums and debates here since they got started this election, before everyone picked their running mates, and he has shown up to them the least. He has done virtually nothing in terms of campaigning to clarify his brand to primary voters, and he heavily gives off the vibe that because he has so many high-profile Maryland Democratic machine endorsements, since he’s a decent speaker, he’s well educated and has credible, relevant experience in government... he is campaigning like he believes he’s already won the nomination. I’m assuming that his consultants don’t realize that he’s setting himself up to be called an arrogant bureaucrat in the general — even though he’d actually be a pretty competant governor. Try as I might, I can’t see this guy winning the general because he doesn’t inspire anyone and the attempt to paint him as a juggernaut is already exhausting some Democratic activists. If he wins the GE, it’ll be because of massive turnout that I just don’t foresee in Maryland. Not yet, at least.

The fact that I’ve been involved in this race to the extent I have and this is the first event I’ve actually seen him show up to is frightening. It’s literally exactly how Anthony Brown acted during the 2014 primary, except back then, Gansler and Mizeur were willing to call him on it. He’s going to be linked to the deeply unpopular O’Malley — who is still being campaigned against — in an irrevocable way right out of the gate just like Brown was.

The way to win Maryland in 2018 is to massively increase Baltimore city turnout and flip Baltimore county to the Democrats, and people from PG county and that area of the state more generally are notoriously confused about how to break through to Baltimore. Baker is no exception to this.
Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.13, S: -0.87

P P P
« Reply #162 on: May 22, 2018, 01:28:03 PM »

This race is Lean D.

Reason: Angry, white #resistance liberals will kill Hogan's re-election despite his sky-high approvals, since they'll turn out overwhelmingly.
Cold War Liberal
KennedyWannabe99
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.13, S: -6.53

« Reply #163 on: June 13, 2018, 01:42:33 PM »
« Edited: June 13, 2018, 01:46:38 PM by Cold War Liberal »

Baltimore Sun: Valerie Ervin criticizes Ben Jealous as she supports Rushern Baker in Maryland governor's race

I was probably going to vote for her, now I'll definitely vote for Baker (he was my original first choice before Ervin jumped in anyway)

I'm going to early voting tomorrow. Already filled out all of my sample ballot. Can't wait, it's my first real election. Smiley
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix

« Reply #164 on: June 13, 2018, 01:48:53 PM »

Baltimore Sun: Valerie Ervin criticizes Ben Jealous as she supports Rushern Baker in Maryland governor's race

I was probably going to vote for her, now I'll definitely vote for Baker (he was my original first choice before Ervin jumped in anyway)

I'm going to early voting tomorrow. Already filled out all of my sample ballot. Can't wait, it's my first real election. Smiley
First elections are fun! Congrats!
Gass3268
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #165 on: June 13, 2018, 02:50:49 PM »

Baltimore Sun endorses Jealous
Gass3268
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #166 on: June 13, 2018, 02:52:23 PM »

I'm voting for Jealous and my wife is voting for Madaleno (who would be my second choice).
Cold War Liberal
KennedyWannabe99
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #167 on: June 14, 2018, 01:35:14 AM »

I'm voting for Jealous and my wife is voting for Madaleno (who would be my second choice).
I saw Madaleno's ad where he kisses his husband while sitting with his black daughters to piss Trump off and it made me unreasonably happy.
Cold War Liberal
KennedyWannabe99
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #168 on: June 14, 2018, 10:55:07 AM »

Just voted. At the precinct, they had a ton of campaign signs, but the only Democratic candidate with any signs was Baker. I was surprised. Just an anecdote.

(Kamenetz had a campaign presence up here in Harford County too, before he died)

Also when they found out I was a first time voter the entire precinct cheered. Cheesy One woman told me to get my friends to vote; I told her that I was trying with mixed success.
OneJ
OneJ_
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #169 on: June 27, 2018, 12:21:04 AM »

Hogan is obviously the favorite as of now, but I really hope that Jealous pulls it through in the end.
PragmaticPopulist
Ireland, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -5.57

« Reply #170 on: June 27, 2018, 10:47:28 AM »

I am having serious reservations about Jealous. The thing I like about Maryland Democrats is that they tend to put partisanship aside for what's best for the state, and I don't have confidence that Jealous is that kind of Maryland Democrat.

While I'm open to the idea of single-payer, I don't think a state-level system would work, especially in Maryland where the resulting shock to the market would force health care companies to lay-off their workers. It doesn't inspire much confidence in me that Jealous said that people "would just have to get another job."

If he were elected, Mike Miller and Mike Busch could be a check on him, since they probably are against single-payer, but I'm worried that in this era of partisanship, that could fall through. At the moment, I am undecided in the race. Now I know how it feels to be like a Never-Trumper.
Gass3268
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #171 on: June 27, 2018, 11:30:13 AM »

I am having serious reservations about Jealous. The thing I like about Maryland Democrats is that they tend to put partisanship aside for what's best for the state, and I don't have confidence that Jealous is that kind of Maryland Democrat.

While I'm open to the idea of single-payer, I don't think a state-level system would work, especially in Maryland where the resulting shock to the market would force health care companies to lay-off their workers. It doesn't inspire much confidence in me that Jealous said that people "would just have to get another job."

If he were elected, Mike Miller and Mike Busch could be a check on him, since they probably are against single-payer, but I'm worried that in this era of partisanship, that could fall through. At the moment, I am undecided in the race. Now I know how it feels to be like a Never-Trumper.

Did you just compare Jealous to Trump? Jealous was the most pragmatic Sanders supporter at 2016 DNC Platform committee.
PragmaticPopulist
Ireland, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -5.57

« Reply #172 on: June 27, 2018, 11:34:23 AM »

Did you just compare Jealous to Trump? Jealous was the most pragmatic Sanders supporter at 2016 DNC Platform committee.
I did, in fact. Both are hoping that a play-to-the-base, divisive strategy will get them past the finish line. I think that represents everything that is wrong with American politics right now. At least Hogan is trying to reach out beyond his base.
Kleine Scheiße
PeteHam
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #173 on: June 27, 2018, 12:26:01 PM »

Just voted. At the precinct, they had a ton of campaign signs, but the only Democratic candidate with any signs was Baker. I was surprised. Just an anecdote.

(Kamenetz had a campaign presence up here in Harford County too, before he died)

This was my experience also, exactly, also being in Harford County. Early voted in Edgewood and it was packed, tons of signs.
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.48, S: -1.83

« Reply #174 on: June 27, 2018, 12:29:52 PM »

Jealous is screwed, Hogan will win, Likey R.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies