Puerto Rico hypothetical congressional districts
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 03:55:51 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Puerto Rico hypothetical congressional districts
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Puerto Rico hypothetical congressional districts  (Read 3208 times)
Bidenworth2020
politicalmasta73
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 11, 2017, 05:25:42 PM »

include the number of CD's, and the lines, party breakdown, and the senatorial breakdown.(governor is optional)
diptheriadan

« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2017, 06:35:39 PM »

There's an interesting article on the DailyKos about this.
Pessimistic Antineutrino
Pessimistic Antineutrino
United States

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2017, 10:03:37 PM »

I wonder how parties would develop if PR became a state. I doubt they'd be willing to shed the NPP and PDP so quickly in favor of the mainland parties... maybe we'd see regional party reps elected who'd caucus with the main parties in Congress?
Vega
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2017, 11:18:58 PM »

I wonder how parties would develop if PR became a state. I doubt they'd be willing to shed the NPP and PDP so quickly in favor of the mainland parties... maybe we'd see regional party reps elected who'd caucus with the main parties in Congress?

They would be shredded fairly quickly. Most politicians in Puerto Rico declare a loyalty to mainland parties as well as their local ones. Regionalist political parties would not go down well and would be excluded in Washington.
Lord Halifax
Papua New Guinea

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2017, 08:23:43 AM »

They would be shredded fairly quickly. Most politicians in Puerto Rico declare a loyalty to mainland parties as well as their local ones. Regionalist political parties would not go down well and would be excluded in Washington.

They could just go the route of the Minnesota Farmer Labor Party.
Kyle Rittenhouse is a Political Prisoner
Jalawest2

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2017, 12:55:24 PM »

Which lasted for how long again? 26 years? Most PDP and NPP members are already democrats or republicans, and once they're a state statehood would no longer be an issue.
Tintrlvr
Junior Chimp

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2017, 02:33:55 PM »
« Edited: June 16, 2017, 02:35:48 PM by Tintrlvr »

Which lasted for how long again? 26 years? Most PDP and NPP members are already democrats or republicans, and once they're a state statehood would no longer be an issue.

The Farmer-Labor Party merged with the state Democratic Party, and the Democratic Party affiliate in Minnesota is now the Democratic-Farmer-Labor Party (or DFL). (Something similar happened in North Dakota, where the state Democratic Party affiliate is, amusingly, the Democratic-Nonpartisan League Party (or DNPL).)

Maybe the same would happen with the PPD, although the Democrats probably would prefer not to retain any of the name in order not to turn off former PNP supporters. PNP I agree would definitely dissolve.
Dr. MB
MB
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2017, 07:01:43 PM »

Here's my 5-district plan. I'm not sure how accurate the DRA party data is but all seem fairly competitive.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2017, 08:20:40 PM »

Here's my 5-district plan. I'm not sure how accurate the DRA party data is but all seem fairly competitive.

Puerto Rican elections are squared almost entirely around the statehood issue. In the event of Puerto Rico becoming a state it's probable that Democrats just dominate in every area of the island's politics.
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2017, 09:23:25 PM »

Puerto Rican elections are squared almost entirely around the statehood issue. In the event of Puerto Rico becoming a state it's probable that Democrats just dominate in every area of the island's politics.

Likely, especially with Trump becoming the face of the Republican party. With those districts, at least 3 are Safe D, 1 likely D, and one tossup/tilt D based on the island's current political inclinations. I do think it would be Hawaii redux though.
Starry Eyed Jagaloon
Blairite
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2017, 09:34:52 PM »

Likely, especially with Trump becoming the face of the Republican party. With those districts, at least 3 are Safe D, 1 likely D, and one tossup/tilt D based on the island's current political inclinations. I do think it would be Hawaii redux though.
Which are which?
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2017, 09:44:52 PM »

Which are which?

Safe D: Red, Yellow, Green
Likely D: Blue
Tossup-Tilt D: Purple
Kevinstat

« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2017, 10:18:19 PM »

Which are which?

Interesting that the more densely populated ones (assuming so since they're smaller) would be the most competitive.  Is there a decent Anglo population around San Juan?
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2017, 11:22:06 PM »

Which are which?

Interesting that the more densely populated ones (assuming so since they're smaller) would be the most competitive.  Is there a decent Anglo population around San Juan?

That particular area is chock full of evangelical conservative and pro-statehood ideologues. They reliably vote conservative in the current alignment, but I doubt that would hold up with how anti-minority the R party is.

The west coast has a good chunk of Anglos who are mostly from the coastal areas (think mini CA), and they are Safe D. The less populous zones are actually collectivist, and are far out of line with the "fiscal conservatism" of today's R party. In fact, even the conservative party in PR runs on collectivist messages, including Rosello Sr.
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2017, 11:48:53 PM »

Would a north south division of the western part of the island be more likely, based on the mountain spine? I assume the Green district is actually San Juan dominated, correct?
Strudelcutie4427
Singletxguyforfun
United States

« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2017, 03:12:16 PM »

Would they go down to 4 districts post-Maria or were they solidly into the 5 range like say Oregon
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2017, 04:49:10 PM »

Would they go down to 4 districts post-Maria or were they solidly into the 5 range like say Oregon

They might go down to 4.

It's looking like -500,000 in less than a year.
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2017, 12:55:18 AM »

The political geography of Puerto Rico is oddly reminiscent of pre-Trump Minnesotan political divides where the urban and some of the rural areas are the most leftwing and the exurbs are the most right wing. The sort of numbers the DRA gives are probably beyond useless as indicators of how PR would vote in normal American elections still. Frankly given the votes of Puerto Ricans here, they'd probably vote like 85%D.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies