Death Penalty (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 11:34:11 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Death Penalty (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Death Penalty  (Read 28721 times)
kenhd
kendeome
Rookie

« on: March 03, 2004, 01:05:09 AM »

The greatest problem with the death penalty is our justice system is not a truth seeking device, but an advesarial competition grounded in arguement and sway. Would it be better if the investigation was run by the courts, without the prosecution having an influence on the investigators?

Ultimately the death penalty is supposed to be for henious criminals; I guess we could look at the death penalty as the only way to be certain said person doesn't do it again? Some criminals just keep on killing no matter where they are--they attack other convicts, and guards.

Now we have prisons that are basically 24/7 isolation.
But if someone in such a place gets the opportunity, they will kill again because they want to. I don't want to be the one trying to explain it to the family of a guard why their loved one is dead because a mass murderer can't receive anything more than the multiple life sentences they are already serving. And my step-daughter is married to a correction officer so I'm familiar with the job these people do and the daily dangers they face.

Also, a lot of future killers keep getting second chances until they 'finally go too far.' Three strikes can be severe given some of the crimes out there, so maybe we need a system to recognize criminals whose crimes are escelating in seriousness?

I agree that the state shouldn't be in the business of killing people, especially given the imperfections of our legal system. But we are one hell of a righteously indignant society, and goshdarnit, ever since we got civilized in this nation it became illegal for the victim's family to seek out justice...
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies