Is there anyone besides Trump who could SYMBOLICALLY appeal to WWC?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 10, 2024, 01:57:09 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Is there anyone besides Trump who could SYMBOLICALLY appeal to WWC?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Is there anyone besides Trump who could SYMBOLICALLY appeal to WWC?  (Read 4048 times)
Beet
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 06, 2017, 11:30:46 AM »

"Donald Trump has become a white working-class symbol because he is the one who has returned them to prominence in American politics."

"So much of Donald Trump’s politics is symbolic,” Gest explained. “They’re symbolic in the sense that this is what people want to hear and if it doesn’t get done, it’s almost beside the point because he’s elevating the prerogatives of his constituents to the national stage after having been relegated to the fringes of American politics for decades.”

“When Donald Trump went up in Cleveland and said messianically,’I am your voice,’ that’s precisely what people heard,” Gest continued. “The sense of having a voice suddenly, after feeling voiceless for so long is powerful. It’s not in their cultural interests to vote against him, no matter how little he has delivered to actually help them in any kind of material way.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/post-partisan/wp/2017/06/06/the-real-reason-working-class-whites-continue-to-support-trump/?hpid=hp_no-name_opinion-card-e%3Ahomepage%2Fstory&utm_term=.7cf13b223043

Is there any Democrat who could put the WWC culturally at ease, that the person is not a typical Democrat, but gets their concerns?
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2017, 11:41:50 AM »

http://prospect.org/article/can-democratic-party-be-white-working-class-too
Fight for Trump
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2017, 01:11:53 PM »

Uncle Joe was the guy in 2016. I have extremely conservative friends who would never vote for a Democrat, but respect Joe Biden.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2017, 01:13:22 PM »

Uncle Joe was the guy in 2016. I have extremely conservative friends who would never vote for a Democrat, but respect Joe Biden.

A lot of moderate Republicans felt the same way about Hillary Clinton, I know I did.
Technocracy Timmy
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2017, 01:19:14 PM »

henster
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2017, 01:35:22 PM »

Obama was not exactly the ideal candidate for WWC voters but he managed to win both times, just need to lose them by 15-20 points not 30-40. It can be done with the right message.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2017, 01:42:09 PM »

Obama was not exactly the ideal candidate for WWC voters but he managed to win both times, just need to lose them by 15-20 points not 30-40. It can be done with the right message.

This.

Joe Biden
Sherrod Brown
Steve Bullock
Maybe Terry McAuliffe
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2017, 05:51:32 PM »

That bloke who came in third in the Pennsylvania Democratic primary.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2017, 07:55:44 PM »

Mark Zuckerberg
NEW JERSEY FOR MENENDEZ
Admiral President
YaBB God
United States Minor Outlying Islands

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -0.70

P P P

« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2017, 09:58:56 AM »

LOL
Since I'm the mad scientist proclaimed by myself
omegascarlet
Junior Chimp

« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2017, 10:20:39 AM »

Part or the decline, I suspect, was that Romney was highly toxic to non college whites, while Trump actively catered to a large segment of them(definitely not every subdivision; Icespear and Samantha Bee both had a working poor background, for example).
omegascarlet
Junior Chimp

« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2017, 10:38:39 AM »
« Edited: June 07, 2017, 10:41:30 AM by Shell of Scarlet »

On topic (sorry), I don't think there's a way to appeal to the stereotypical WWC that switched from Democrat to republican without adopting some pretty unpleasant views. (Eg reversing on gay marriage,  mass deportations)

ETA: plus they'd have to go against welfare, killing it. Remember that the kinds of Democrats that win the WWC are people like Justice, Manchin, and Bill Clinton.
GlobeSoc
The walrus

« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2017, 10:43:08 AM »

Bullock or Brown
NEW JERSEY FOR MENENDEZ
Admiral President
YaBB God

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2017, 12:54:59 PM »

On topic (sorry), I don't think there's a way to appeal to the stereotypical WWC that switched from Democrat to republican without adopting some pretty unpleasant views. (Eg reversing on gay marriage,  mass deportations)

ETA: plus they'd have to go against welfare, killing it. Remember that the kinds of Democrats that win the WWC are people like Justice, Manchin, and Bill Clinton.
Trump didn't appeal to the WWC using that at all...
omegascarlet
Junior Chimp

« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2017, 01:34:02 PM »

Mass deportation was literally one of the only consistent policies trump had.
NEW JERSEY FOR MENENDEZ
Admiral President
YaBB God

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2017, 04:09:46 PM »

Mass deportations? You mean enforcing the law? In fact, we're only deporting illegals who have committed crimes aside from illegal immigration; I wouldn't call that mass deportations.

There goes the far-left making a mountain out of a molehill.
omegascarlet
Junior Chimp

« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2017, 04:36:49 PM »

Mass deportations? You mean enforcing the law? In fact, we're only deporting illegals who have committed crimes aside from illegal immigration; I wouldn't call that mass deportations.

that's BS. The current administration is deporting anyone it can. Even before, ICE would happily kidnap anyone they caught without citizenship papers, they just had to prioritize those who had committed a crime. This isn't nothing.
Fight for Trump
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2017, 04:40:22 PM »

that's BS. The current administration is deporting anyone it can. Even before, ICE would happily kidnap anyone they caught without citizenship papers, they just had to prioritize those who had committed a crime. This isn't nothing.
They are sworn law enforcement officers. It is their duty to enforce the law.
Liberalrocks
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2017, 04:43:55 PM »

Uncle Joe
Chunk Yogurt for President!
CELTICEMPIRE
Junior Chimp
Georgia

« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2017, 05:01:38 PM »

This.  The Democrats aren't going to win the WWC, they just need to do better with them than they did in 2016.

It's just like when some Republicans say "don't appeal to minorities, they aren't going to vote Republican."  Of course Republicans aren't going to win the minority vote any time soon, but it helps to improve a few percentage points.
Sumner 1868
tara gilesbie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2017, 05:25:05 PM »

This term is meaningless because it keeps being defined in a way that people who make fairly high incomes are included.
NEW JERSEY FOR MENENDEZ
Admiral President
YaBB God

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2017, 05:56:59 PM »

Source, please?

(TYT, HuffPost, Occupy Democrats, and others are not accurate in any sense)
omegascarlet
Junior Chimp

« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2017, 09:32:19 AM »

Source, please?

http://www.latimes.com/nation/la-na-ice-deport-trump-20170517-story.html
http://www.cnn.com/2017/02/21/politics/dhs-immigration-guidance-detentions/index.html
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/nationworld/politics/ct-trump-deportation-force-20170412-story.html

The kind of source you would like
http://www.theblaze.com/news/2017/03/17/revealed-how-trump-will-speed-up-deportation-of-criminal-illegal-aliens/

Also, I like how you demand sources when you haven't given any.
henster
Junior Chimp

« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2017, 01:44:24 PM »

Franken won non college whites 50-46 in 2014 granted he was running against Romney lite.
NEW JERSEY FOR MENENDEZ
Admiral President
YaBB God

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2017, 06:58:43 PM »

Source, please?

http://www.latimes.com/nation/la-na-ice-deport-trump-20170517-story.html
http://www.cnn.com/2017/02/21/politics/dhs-immigration-guidance-detentions/index.html
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/nationworld/politics/ct-trump-deportation-force-20170412-story.html

The kind of source you would like
http://www.theblaze.com/news/2017/03/17/revealed-how-trump-will-speed-up-deportation-of-criminal-illegal-aliens/

Also, I like how you demand sources when you haven't given any.
That's because I didn't make any baseless claims.

Oh, also, nice job trying to imply I'm conservative. Look at my political matrix score, asshat.

Now then, moving on from your immature and petty attitude, let's talk about these sources, which I thank you for providing.

I read through them, and I still fail to see the problem. They broke the law; there are consequences for illegal actions. If it were up to me, everyone who broke our immigration laws would face the consequences. Just like how a murderer should face the consequences of their crime. It's pure justice.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies