Why exactly did Goldwater get 87% in MS in 1964?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 08:13:21 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  Why exactly did Goldwater get 87% in MS in 1964?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Why exactly did Goldwater get 87% in MS in 1964?  (Read 5949 times)
RBH

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: August 01, 2005, 04:29:46 PM »

So, how exactly do you explain the GOP being "the party that passed the Civil Rights Act" and the GOP being "the party who nominated a Senator who voted against the Civil Rights Act"?

As for the GOP being the party of civil rights.

The Compromise of 1877.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #26 on: August 02, 2005, 11:03:09 AM »

Was the civil rights issue the reason that Utah voted for LBJ?  I have difficulty believing this.  Utah is so ultra-right-wing AND is next door to Goldwater's state, so I can't believe that Goldwater lost in Utah.

The GOP was (and still is) the leader in giving Civil Rights to people.  When LBJ sided with the Republicans on the Civil Rights issue, and Goldwater (contrary to his vast Civil Rights accomplishments) sided against it, the whole country, except the racist states, went for LBJ.

The GOP was founded upon promoting moral issues.
The last sentence of this post is true.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #27 on: August 02, 2005, 11:07:03 AM »

Was the civil rights issue the reason that Utah voted for LBJ?  I have difficulty believing this.  Utah is so ultra-right-wing AND is next door to Goldwater's state, so I can't believe that Goldwater lost in Utah.

The GOP was (and still is) the leader in giving Civil Rights to people.  When LBJ sided with the Republicans on the Civil Rights issue, and Goldwater (contrary to his vast Civil Rights accomplishments) sided against it, the whole country, except the racist states, went for LBJ.

JMF,

I don't know what considerations in your opinion make a state "racist" but many states outside those that voted for Goldwater had racist laws in place at the time of the 1964 election.

A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #28 on: August 02, 2005, 02:10:09 PM »

The 1964 "Civil Rights" Act was horrible.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #29 on: August 04, 2005, 05:38:00 AM »

Northern Republicans and Democrats were generally in favour of civil rights, Southern Republicans and Democrats were generally against. At that time, for historical reasons, pretty much all Southerners were Democrats, something that gives an impression of Republicans being more favourable to civil rights. The Republicans really ceased to be a pro-civil rights party in the 1870s.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #30 on: August 04, 2005, 08:11:50 PM »

The 1964 "Civil Rights" Act was horrible.

I'd like to see somebody run on that platform.  True or not, which I won't pretend to be any kind of expert on the subject, it wouldn't be overwhelmingly popular.
Rob
Bob
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -9.39

« Reply #31 on: August 04, 2005, 08:30:03 PM »

lewis, do you literally mean that *no* black voted in mississippi in 64? 

Theodore White notes, in The Making of the President 1964, that there was an all-black enclave in Mississippi that cast several hundred votes that year- and literally every single one was for Johnson. There were also a handful of voting blacks scattered throughout the state- in fact, there are several Delta counties where Goldwater would have likely gotten 100 percent had no blacks at all voted.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #32 on: August 04, 2005, 10:03:59 PM »

lewis, do you literally mean that *no* black voted in mississippi in 64? 

Theodore White notes, in The Making of the President 1964, that there was an all-black enclave in Mississippi that cast several hundred votes that year- and literally every single one was for Johnson. There were also a handful of voting blacks scattered throughout the state- in fact, there are several Delta counties where Goldwater would have likely gotten 100 percent had no blacks at all voted.
How are those Theodore White books?  I've been looking for the 1964, 1968, and 1972 volumes with no luck.
Rob
Bob
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -9.39

« Reply #33 on: August 05, 2005, 08:30:49 PM »

How are those Theodore White books?  I've been looking for the 1964, 1968, and 1972 volumes with no luck.

They're not bad. The general consensus is that 1960 is the best (he won the Pulitzer for that one), but I prefer 1964.
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: -1.23

« Reply #34 on: August 06, 2005, 01:42:22 AM »

LBJ won b/c of the sympathy vote. That simple. What a disgusting human being. Really a disgrace to the office in ways Democrats now just think Bush is.

Why did 87% of Mississippi not have sympathy for Johnson while almost everyone else did?  Why was this lack of sympathy concentrated in the deep south, and no where else?  Obviously its because it wasn't pure sympathy, and to suggest this is illogical.  Sympathy palyed a role in the landslide, but other factors were at play too.

So, how exactly do you explain the GOP being "the party that passed the Civil Rights Act" and the GOP being "the party who nominated a Senator who voted against the Civil Rights Act"?

As for the GOP being the party of civil rights.

The Compromise of 1877.

If you think Goldwater won the nomination because he opposed Civil Rights, you're a doofus.

Goldwater opposed the Civil Rights Act on grounds of states rights, not principle.  It was an inability of Republicans to stand up for states rights and small government that motivated the Goldwater nomination, not racism.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #35 on: August 06, 2005, 03:40:40 AM »

They're not bad. The general consensus is that 1960 is the best (he won the Pulitzer for that one), but I prefer 1964.
Yeah, I read 1960 once.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #36 on: August 06, 2005, 03:41:33 AM »

Northern Republicans and Democrats were generally in favour of civil rights, Southern Republicans and Democrats were generally against. At that time, for historical reasons, pretty much all Southerners were Democrats, something that gives an impression of Republicans being more favourable to civil rights. The Republicans really ceased to be a pro-civil rights party in the 1870s.
Exactly. The act was passed by a coalition of all Northern Dems, most Northern Reps, some Southern Dems and no Southern Reps.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #37 on: August 06, 2005, 09:27:05 AM »

There were only, what, two Southern Republicans in the first place (John Tower of Texas and Strom Thurmond of South Carolina).
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #38 on: August 07, 2005, 06:09:02 AM »

There were only, what, two Southern Republicans in the first place (John Tower of Texas and Strom Thurmond of South Carolina).
That's in the Senate.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #39 on: August 07, 2005, 07:30:22 AM »

D'oh.  Right you are.  (I knew I should have spent more time on the House and less on the Senate when I studied this.  But the Senate just seemed so much more interesting!)
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies