Gender gap
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 03:00:45 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 15 Down, 35 To Go)
  Gender gap
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Gender gap  (Read 1283 times)
SingingAnalyst
mathstatman
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 11, 2017, 03:45:52 PM »

The gender gap we know of today, with women voting 7-10 points more Democratic than men in US Presidential elections, burst onto the scene in 1980.

Prior to that, however, the 1968 election had a 4-point gender gap (with Humphrey winning 41% of men and 45% of women). It promptly disappeared in 1972, as (white) women decided crime was a more salient issue than women's rights.

Since 1980 the gender gap has fluctuated slightly year to year, with little overall change.

Could anything alter, multiply, eliminate, or even reverse the gender gap at this point? Voting for felons, widespread implementation of Sharia law, etc?
Light Yagami

« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2017, 12:05:47 AM »

Well, thing is the gender gap is largely over exaggerated (and accounted for by exit poll errors, I may elaborate more on this later). Married couples usually vote the same 95% of the time, it's just Single Mothers vote more D then Single Men which accounts for the Gap (the latter votes D to, but at like a +10 rate versus single mothers being at +20. I have a link on this, but can't post it do to not having enough posts.)
Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2017, 10:29:30 AM »

Well, thing is the gender gap is largely over exaggerated (and accounted for by exit poll errors, I may elaborate more on this later). Married couples usually vote the same 95% of the time, it's just Single Mothers vote more D then Single Men which accounts for the Gap (the latter votes D to, but at like a +10 rate versus single mothers being at +20. I have a link on this, but can't post it do to not having enough posts.)

I'd contend that mass incarceration is a decent component the gap as well. Given that non-White males are the most likely to see their franchise restricted due to mass incarceration, the universe of Male voters is likely older and Whiter than the universe of female voters.

I think an end to mass incarceration would reduce the gap somewhat.

No, I don't think that's it. The gap exists with young people and people of color too, from what I see on the polls.
Technocracy Timmy
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2017, 12:57:26 PM »

I'd contend that mass incarceration is a decent component the gap as well. Given that non-White males are the most likely to see their franchise restricted due to mass incarceration, the universe of Male voters is likely older and Whiter than the universe of female voters.

I think an end to mass incarceration would reduce the gap somewhat.

No, I don't think that's it. The gap exists with young people and people of color too, from what I see on the polls.

Yes. Black men for example have been trending Republican and most data suggests that it's due to the increasing gender gap.
15 Down, 35 To Go
ExtremeRepublican
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2017, 01:16:19 PM »

Some interesting exit poll data (I'm going to look at national house vote):

Overall (size=22):
Men: R+12
Women: D+10

White (size=20):
Men: R+32
Women: R+12

Black (size=26):
Men: D+63
Women: D+89
**Black men were nearly four times as likely to vote Republican as black women**

Hispanic (size=11):
Men: D+28
Women: D+39

White College Grads (size=22)
Men: R+22
Women: Tie

White Non-College (size=15)
Men: R+43
Women: R+28

Married (size=23)
Men: R+25
Women: R+2

Unmarried (size=27)
Men: Tie
Women: D+27

So, the gap actually seems pretty consistent between demographics, with maybe it being more pronounced for black people.
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2017, 10:05:50 PM »

Many women especially non-white women are pragmatic voters. That keeps women in the D column.
darklordoftech
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2017, 02:49:41 AM »
« Edited: July 03, 2017, 02:52:23 AM by darklordoftech »

The gender gap we know of today, with women voting 7-10 points more Democratic than men in US Presidential elections, burst onto the scene in 1980.
I'm curious as to if

A. Reagan getting the Equal Rights Amendment removed from the GOP party platform caused this.

B. The absence of a gender gap in 1972 and 1976 was an aberration.

Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2017, 04:50:42 PM »

Women are more empathic and less hawkish than men, I think. Also, abortion.

They're also more willing to defend people accused of crime than men. Except rapists, they're always much tougher on rapists than men.
darklordoftech
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2017, 04:59:15 PM »
« Edited: July 03, 2017, 05:04:01 PM by darklordoftech »

They're also more willing to defend people accused of crime than men. Except rapists, they're always much tougher on rapists than men.
I also find that women are tougher on "think of the children" crimes than men. I find that fathers are stricter about their kids behaving in ways that they percieve as disrespectful while mothers are stricter about their kids making decisions that they see as risky. For example, fathers tend to be stricter about "talking back" while mothers tend to be stricter about underage drinking.
15 Down, 35 To Go
ExtremeRepublican
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2017, 06:22:35 PM »

Most polling actually shows no gender gap on abortion.
Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2017, 04:42:11 AM »

Most polling actually shows no gender gap on abortion.

Yes, but it's a more important issue to women than men, given it directly affects them.
darklordoftech
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2017, 05:09:26 PM »

I suspect that Anita Hill increased the gender gap.
Sumner 1868
tara gilesbie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2017, 05:40:14 PM »

We should remember that the GOP was the first party to endorse the ERA and no Democratic president even discussed gender issue until Kennedy's Equal Pay Act. 1980 is when the GOP rescinded the amendment from its platform on Jesse Helm's request. This is probably part of the reason women voted more Republican before then.

Another interesting thing is the three times that Democrats have won the male vote since Vietnam - 1976, 1992, and 2008 - were all during recessions.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies