Was George W Bush in 2004 the most hated figure by the opposing party to win (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 04:33:12 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  Was George W Bush in 2004 the most hated figure by the opposing party to win (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Was George W Bush in 2004 the most hated figure by the opposing party to win  (Read 4554 times)
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« on: June 11, 2017, 02:29:07 AM »

Sure, within the past 44 years yes (I am not including Trump '16 in the mix for obvious reasons).

I would certainly be prepared to make a strong argument that Nixon in '72 was more hated by what was left or Left of the Democratic Party at that time than W. in '04.

Hell, even Reagan, although he was extremely unpopular among Democrats in '80/'84 was not "hated".

Bush Sr was extremely unpopular in '92, among Dems, but shoot Bill Clinton only won a narrow plurality of the PV and was not popular within his own Party, although Bush Sr was certainly "hated" among elements of the Dem base for various reasons.

I can only speak from my own personal perspective, but after losing my friend Eric in Iraq, I did go through a period of "hatred" towards W. because of the lies and deceit that caused my friend to die.

Obviously this was over 10 years ago, and although I no longer "hate" anyone involved, I still think there are people that served at Senior levels of the W. Administration that need to serve hard time in a Federal Prison for intentionally lying and deceiving the American people about not only the causus belli, but also the many lies and deceptions afterwards.

NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2017, 03:34:08 AM »

I don't look at DU threads....

So far, Trump hasn't sent us into ground wars overseas based upon lies and deception (Unlike W. and LBJ, as well as Nixon when it came to his "secret plan to end the war".

Sure, when it comes to economic policy I'm an equal opportunity hater when it comes to Democratic and Republican Administrations alike over the past many decades, in terms of selling decent paying Manufacturing jobs down the river, sacrificed upon the sacred altar of "Free Trade"....  Hell, in a relatively Blue Collar and Mfg state like Oregon (Outside of certain parts of Metro PDX that you are quite familiar with).

I do firmly support Obama when it came to economic policies to try to recover our country from the Great Recession, although I think there should have been more $$$ pumped into the economy at that time (Although granted top economic advisers underestimated the extent of the Bush Recession in their own words a few years later).

So, for various reasons I left Trump out of the mix, but I do firmly believe that W. in '04 was definitely much more hated by the Dems in '04, than Obama in '08/'12, W. in '00, Clinton in '92/'96. Bush Sr in '88, Reagan in '80/'84, Carter in '76, based upon your original question.

Awesome to see you challenging the Atlas CW of "Old Skool" being a "robot"/"Computer", and engaging a bit more than average, since I've always seen you as an above average poster, who frequently tends to post in brief one or two sentence comments, most likely bcs you are doing a mix of work and college, and only so much free time with a lot of different areas of interest and expertise.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies