Axios: Trump intends to leave Paris climate accord
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 21, 2024, 05:47:41 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Axios: Trump intends to leave Paris climate accord
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6
Author Topic: Axios: Trump intends to leave Paris climate accord  (Read 9696 times)
SoLongAtlas
VirginiaModerate
United States
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: June 01, 2017, 02:54:06 PM »

"I was elected to serve the people of PITTSBURGH, not Paris." He doesn't know Pittsburgh is a tech area now, not a coal town.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #51 on: June 01, 2017, 03:03:24 PM »

I'm still a bit confused as to whether Trump intends to abide to or violate Article 28 of the Paris Agreement:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Which means that the United States could leave the Agreement no earlier than November 4, 2020. The New York Times reports that his administration will abide to that stipulation, Trump's speech implies that it won't. Then again, time has shown that you can't take Trump always literally when he's chest-thumping.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #52 on: June 01, 2017, 03:04:41 PM »

Trump doing a good job on this. This agreement doesn't address climate, it just shifts coal jobs around the world.

Coal needs to die.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #53 on: June 01, 2017, 03:05:50 PM »

heatcharger
Junior Chimp
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -1.04, S: -0.24

« Reply #54 on: June 01, 2017, 03:06:21 PM »

Trump saying he'll "renegotiate" a voluntary, non-binding pact is complete BS and more of his deranged obsession with trying to destroy Obama's legacy.

But I hope Jill Stein and Susan Sarandon are enthused.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #55 on: June 01, 2017, 03:06:36 PM »

Good riddance, cupcake.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #56 on: June 01, 2017, 03:09:45 PM »

California and New York have announced that they will uphold the standards regardless.

Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #57 on: June 01, 2017, 03:11:24 PM »

Thanks, Jill Stein voters

Anyone who still supports Trump at this point is a traitor to humanity.

"I was elected to serve the people of PITTSBURGH, not Paris." He doesn't know Pittsburgh is a tech area now, not a coal town.

Not to mention Pittsburgh voted overwhelmingly for Clinton.
The_Doctor
SilentCal1924

« Reply #58 on: June 01, 2017, 03:12:11 PM »

Just out of curiosity, what's your position on climate change? That line sounds like "if it makes liberals angry, I'm for it," which doesn't really sound like you have a definite ideology, Grumps, beyond making Democrats angry.

I mean this seriously, but you seem the type of guy to watch Fox news a lot rather than being an objective reader of news.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #59 on: June 01, 2017, 03:12:32 PM »

California and New York have announced that they will uphold the standards regardless.

Good for them. Massachusetts should do the same.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #60 on: June 01, 2017, 03:13:14 PM »

I hope you enjoy your new home underwater.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #61 on: June 01, 2017, 03:14:00 PM »

Pittsburgh will uphold the agreement:

Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #62 on: June 01, 2017, 03:15:10 PM »

There's a 4 year waiting period, so he can't leave unless Democrats blow another election.

Even if he can't technically "leave" for a while, he can definitely compel congress to change US law to purposely break the rules.

While Congress can do that on their own - and Trump can sign the law, if he remembers - count me among the very skeptical when it comes to Trump's ability to compel Congress to do anything. (Short of declaring a Make American Great Cultural Revolution and having his redhats round them up.)
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #63 on: June 01, 2017, 03:17:19 PM »

Pittsburgh will uphold the agreement:

Come on, Trump. Serve the people of Pittsburgh like you were elected to do.
The_Doctor
SilentCal1924

« Reply #64 on: June 01, 2017, 03:18:38 PM »
« Edited: June 01, 2017, 03:20:40 PM by TD »

As I said, this is not unexpected. We saw this coming months ago. Trump's political base is reliant on coal and old economy jobs. Not the new economy, which overwhelmingly voted against him. Why did we expect him to try to cater to voters who would vote against him no matter what and donors who are going to donate to his opposition, no matter what?

Is it right? No. But we should understand, again, why Trump did this. The vast majority of GOP Congressmen and political leadership are situated in areas that are, again, Old Economy type areas and overwhelmingly white, not exactly educated types. (Of course, I'm generalizing but). The GOP ideology is situated in winning blue collar white areas as the bulk of their political support.

GOP money comes from Texas and the oil industry and the South, not California, not Silicon Valley, or renewable energy, either, which is important. There was no money in support of staying in the deal.

This is what it boiled down to, no matter what. Trump sees no political upside to staying in Paris, and he's a politician. The system doesn't reward long term strategy that has you damaging the people that you voted for. That's not our Constitutional system.

One key mistake that Democrats have made here is that they never bothered to help these areas make the transition to clean energy and high tech areas and relied on people from San Francisco and New York to make the climate deal. That really shrunk the base of support of people who would aggressively push for us staying in the deal on the GOP side. It was a very partisan deal, in that analytical sense.

Why do you ask blue collar white voters to put their (shrinking but still there) jobs at risk with no support to transition to new jobs and towns to try to make a bold leap without economic support? They voted in fear against the deal in a couple of areas.  
Comrade Funk
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -5.91

P P P

« Reply #65 on: June 01, 2017, 03:25:40 PM »

How many hurricanes, droughts, floods, et al does it take?

The consequences of decades of railing against science as 'elitism'.
lordroel
Rookie
Netherlands

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #66 on: June 01, 2017, 03:28:52 PM »

Well the US can now be happy that it join Syria and Nicaragua as the only countries who are not members of the pact, even Palestine and North Korea signed it.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #67 on: June 01, 2017, 03:29:28 PM »

Just out of curiosity, what's your position on climate change? That line sounds like "if it makes liberals angry, I'm for it," which doesn't really sound like you have a definite ideology, Grumps, beyond making Democrats angry.

I mean this seriously, but you seem the type of guy to watch Fox news a lot rather than being an objective reader of news.

Oh I believe some of the climate change is man made, and some naturally occurring.  You can read studies that fits both far-end viewpoints.  The U.S. is getting "cleaner" if you will, but is it a good deal really for American industry?  I don't mind us re-negotiating the accord at all if we can do our part and improve our country and economy at the same time.  I don't think we're  OMGZ land, that's all.

Oh and I don't watch TV news....especially Fux News.  I might put on the PBS News Hour, but I read NBC, CNN, USA Today and Fox's news feeds.
Orthogonian Society Treasurer
CommanderClash
YaBB God
Bermuda

Political Matrix
E: 0.32, S: 4.78

P
« Reply #68 on: June 01, 2017, 03:31:54 PM »

We will no longer surrender this country or its people to the false song of globalism.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #69 on: June 01, 2017, 03:32:12 PM »

Oh God, now Obama weighs in.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #70 on: June 01, 2017, 03:34:53 PM »

Well the US can now be happy that it join Syria and Nicaragua as the only countries who are not members of the pact, even Palestine and North Korea signed it.

Nicaragua didn't join because they thought the accord didn't go far enough.  They have a goal to be 90% renewable energy by 2020.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #71 on: June 01, 2017, 03:40:07 PM »

The one positive point is that the next President can sign the United States right back up. Unfortunately that will mean 4 more years of severe damage.
Yank2133
Junior Chimp

« Reply #72 on: June 01, 2017, 03:40:42 PM »

He also lost Pittsburgh.
Yank2133
Junior Chimp

« Reply #73 on: June 01, 2017, 03:43:13 PM »

This is the only thing this people believe in these days. The only good thing about the Trump election is that it finally exposed the GOP's voters as full of **** when it comes to ideology. Granted, I have know this for years.....but it is nice to see out in the open.
Technocracy Timmy
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #74 on: June 01, 2017, 03:43:29 PM »

We will no longer surrender this country or its people to the false song of globalism.

We will now surrender it to Vladimir Putin and Trump's cronies instead.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies