Axios: Trump intends to leave Paris climate accord
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 15, 2024, 10:51:25 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Axios: Trump intends to leave Paris climate accord
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6
Author Topic: Axios: Trump intends to leave Paris climate accord  (Read 9650 times)
TheSaint250
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -2.84, S: 5.22

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: May 29, 2017, 07:38:58 PM »

I wonder if individual states will try and participate in the accord somehow. I think it'd be in our best interests to not 100% leave the accord, and at least try to contribute a little bit.

That would be interesting to see. I know certain states are already doing what they can, while others are practically going the other direction. Would there be a way for states individually to be aware of what benchmarks they need to hit? I'm a bit oblivious on what the actual requirements of the Paris Accord are/were.

It's refreshing to see the left embrace federalism. Probably the best accidental result of this administration to date.

It's hardly refreshing. Whichever party is not in power in Washington discovers the virtues of federalism until they are again the party of power.  True federalists are few and far between. (Not to be confused with true libertarians who want limited power in Washington because they want all levels of government to be limited and unable to do much of anything.)
Republicans still want federalism.  The push for more local education is a big part of that.
Attorney General & PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P
« Reply #26 on: May 29, 2017, 10:38:28 PM »

I wonder if individual states will try and participate in the accord somehow. I think it'd be in our best interests to not 100% leave the accord, and at least try to contribute a little bit.

That would be interesting to see. I know certain states are already doing what they can, while others are practically going the other direction. Would there be a way for states individually to be aware of what benchmarks they need to hit? I'm a bit oblivious on what the actual requirements of the Paris Accord are/were.

It's refreshing to see the left embrace federalism. Probably the best accidental result of this administration to date.

It's hardly refreshing. Whichever party is not in power in Washington discovers the virtues of federalism until they are again the party of power.  True federalists are few and far between. (Not to be confused with true libertarians who want limited power in Washington because they want all levels of government to be limited and unable to do much of anything.)
Republicans still want federalism.  The push for more local education is a big part of that.

You do realize they broke a longtime promise to abolish the department of education, right? Granted, they did find probably the most unqualified person in existence to run the department, but still.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #27 on: May 30, 2017, 12:25:14 AM »

More local education? K-12 education is already local. The only Federal role is guidance and money, especially money to poorer areas that can't adequately fund public education on their own. Because the Republican Party as a whole is opposed to adequately funding public services, that's the main motivation for cutting back education at the Federal level. It's to cut spending on poor people rather than to support Federalism. Indeed, given how minor the Federal role in education already is, one can reasonably argue that a pro-Federalist position would be to increase Federal power rather than weaken it.
I Won - Get Over It
« Reply #28 on: May 30, 2017, 06:07:26 AM »

If he decided to stay, he'd likely announce it abroad - less "negative" coverage for his base.
If he decides to leave or "change" the agreement, he'd likely announce it on home soil - red meat to his base. Promise kept something something.

The best way to 'save Earth' is to make "tax reduction" for high-tech companies active in this area.

Beautiful flawless Elon Musk is much more important than "caring" politicians.

I Won - Get Over It
« Reply #29 on: May 31, 2017, 07:06:46 AM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-climatechange-trump-idUSKBN18R1J4
I Won - Get Over It
« Reply #30 on: May 31, 2017, 08:20:20 AM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.
SoLongAtlas
VirginiaModerate
United States
« Reply #31 on: May 31, 2017, 08:27:13 AM »

Lean toward leave but he usually waits a few days to get feelers one way or the other from the press. Ivanka strongly wants him to stay in it, most GOP, esp big oil, gas types want him to leave for obvious reasons.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #32 on: May 31, 2017, 09:15:35 AM »

More than anything else, I find it astonishing that Donald Trump is a president who apparently has no clear opinion on this important issue and has yet to form one...
I Won - Get Over It
« Reply #33 on: May 31, 2017, 09:26:27 AM »

He wants it live in prime time.
He might use it as threat in "deal" making. The agreement anyway looks symbolic too me (doesn't mean it is unimportant).

Or he might just announce the FBI director instead.
Unapologetic Chinaperson
nj_dem

« Reply #34 on: May 31, 2017, 03:08:49 PM »

Horrible. Among other things, climate change will stress water supplies and cause food shortages, leading to conflict and - yep - mass migration of the world's vulnerable as they are forced to become refugees. Refugees that Trump and Trump supporters hate and pummel with a passion. Truly a sick irony that perhaps Steve Bannon planned all along.

That said, there are three threads on this. Can the mods combine them into a "Trump withdraws from Paris" megathread?
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #35 on: May 31, 2017, 05:25:44 PM »

More than anything else, I find it astonishing that Donald Trump is a president who apparently has no clear opinion on this important issue and has yet to form one...

How can you find that surprising? Trump operates as a reflection - he'll do whatever it takes to make himself look big to the audience he's facing at the moment (and that has the side-effect of making him a good huckster). He doesn't have clean opinions on anything other than how awesome he is.
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #36 on: June 01, 2017, 02:18:57 PM »

Trump is currently 18 minutes late to his official announcement on this.
The_Doctor
SilentCal1924

« Reply #37 on: June 01, 2017, 02:21:58 PM »

Trump is currently 18 minutes late to his official announcement on this.

Day late and a dollar short?
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #38 on: June 01, 2017, 02:27:42 PM »

Apparently they are having difficulties in setting up the teleprompter.
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #39 on: June 01, 2017, 02:30:19 PM »

Apparently they are having difficulties in setting up the teleprompter.

Starting now with Pence
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #40 on: June 01, 2017, 02:34:59 PM »

Is it me or is Trump's hair look unkempt on top?
SoLongAtlas
VirginiaModerate
United States
« Reply #41 on: June 01, 2017, 02:37:56 PM »

Getting out only to negotiate for better terms and get back in. This makes no sense.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #42 on: June 01, 2017, 02:38:46 PM »

Getting out only to negotiate for better terms and get back in. This makes no sense.

Ivanka was for staying in, while Stevie Bannon was in favour of getting out. So, they're getting a compromise.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #43 on: June 01, 2017, 02:39:19 PM »

We out.
The_Doctor
SilentCal1924

« Reply #44 on: June 01, 2017, 02:40:15 PM »

Ivanka was for staying in, while Stevie Bannon was in favour of getting out. So, they're getting a compromise.

Come again? I'm not watching the forest fire, so I don't follow?
SoLongAtlas
VirginiaModerate
United States
« Reply #45 on: June 01, 2017, 02:41:51 PM »

Come again? I'm not watching the forest fire, so I don't follow?

Trump just said in the presser that we would withdraw but negotiate better biz terms and maybe get back in. It doesn't make sense. Why not stay in and then negotiate while in? It is cutting off your nose to spite your face.
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #46 on: June 01, 2017, 02:42:30 PM »

Seeing reaction on twitter the only people supporting this are doing it solely because it "triggers libs" what a bunch of f**king losers
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #47 on: June 01, 2017, 02:43:41 PM »

Trump doing a good job on this. This agreement doesn't address climate, it just shifts coal jobs around the world.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #48 on: June 01, 2017, 02:49:10 PM »

"We'll have the cleanest water."

What the f*** has this to do with climate change??
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #49 on: June 01, 2017, 02:49:55 PM »

"We'll have the cleanest water."

What the f*** has this to do with climate change??
The man is retarded
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies