Elections and politics in Hong Kong: megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 03:19:12 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Elections and politics in Hong Kong: megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8
Author Topic: Elections and politics in Hong Kong: megathread  (Read 18231 times)
MoreThanPolitics
Rookie

Political Matrix
E: 1.50, S: 2.62

P P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #125 on: January 06, 2021, 05:54:05 AM »
« edited: January 06, 2021, 07:28:11 AM by MoreThanPolitics »

So the opposition has ceased to exist and democracy is all but finished in Hong Kong. What a woeful situation it has been for them.

China is rapidly going forward with the American model instead of a nation of different nationalities under one banner. From Tibet, to Xinjiang, to Hong Kong, and even to more loyal provinces like Outer Mongolia. They can do this only for as long as the people perceive they are prospering under the CCP government and for how well financed the security apparatus is.

Ultimately it cannot last forever, and we will see how well China can deal with inner pressure in due time alongside exterior pressure.

American model? Which American model? They just went full Han nationalism. But in this case (Hong Kong) it's more about reganing full control of City and liquidating this strange situation when authoritarian state has one democratic region

HK is never "democratic" to start with. The electoral system is designed to disproportionally favor the pro-Beijing camp, not to mention that the CCP has de-facto jurisdiction over HK. The closest we've ever had to democracy is during the Patten years, though.

It's like the Formosa Incident in Hong Kong, and things will become much worse in the foreseeable future. Keep in mind that it is only 6 days into 2021...
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #126 on: January 06, 2021, 09:26:08 AM »

Hopefully, the West smells the coffee soon and start arresting pro-CCP citizens for treason and their version of "propaganda for a foreign state", especially if they are influent or wealthy. This is only pressure way the West has on China.
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: -5.39

« Reply #127 on: January 06, 2021, 09:51:13 AM »

As much as I am on the same page with the PRC on the issue of national sovereignty this is a pretty stupid move.  Unless they have any real evidence of actually collusion and explicit acts to try to split HK off from PRC these arrests are really thought crime arrests.   I see no benefit to the PRC regime in this sort of move.   Most likely they are trying to deal with a surge of nationalist opinion within the Mainland which I understand empathize with  but there is no justification I can see in doing something like this.
2952-0-0
exnaderite
Junior Chimp

« Reply #128 on: January 06, 2021, 09:49:54 PM »

I see no benefit to the PRC regime in this sort of move.   Most likely they are trying to deal with a surge of nationalist opinion within the Mainland which I understand empathize with  but there is no justification I can see in doing something like this.
It's to play to an audience of one, and one only.

That one person, who dropped out of high school and then traded on his daddy's name to grift himself up the CCP establishment, is so paranoid that he only knows how to micromanage and chant a few propaganda slogans. As a result, he's made his soon-to-be-former US counterpart look trustworthy and accountable by comparison.

Methinks that one person will drive China into the ground, before he dies, unfortunately.

Hopefully, the West smells the coffee soon and start arresting pro-CCP citizens for treason and their version of "propaganda for a foreign state", especially if they are influent or wealthy. This is only pressure way the West has on China.
All CCP leaders have property, bank accounts, and relatives in western capitalist countries like the US, Australia, and Canada. It would be a shame if something happened to them.
MoreThanPolitics
Rookie

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #129 on: January 25, 2021, 07:55:03 PM »

Happy 180th birthday, Hong Kong! You are more than a century older than the PRC.
MoreThanPolitics
Rookie

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #130 on: January 25, 2021, 11:01:12 PM »

Pro-Beijing party urges Hong Kong gov’t to set up committees to monitor district councillor oaths of loyalty

Hong Kong’s largest pro-Beijing party on Monday called on the government to establish monitoring committees to ensure district councillors abide by their soon-to-be mandatory oaths of allegiance. DAB members also called on the government to expedite the oath-taking arrangements to “set things right” among district councillors.

The government announced plans last Thursday to introduce amendments to local laws setting out mandatory oaths to be taken by the city’s 479 district councillors after the Lunar New Year. The new amendment will require all district councillors to swear to uphold the Basic Law and pledge allegiance to the city and detail the consequences for those deemed to have breached the oath.

Your reminder that Hong Kong has always been in minority rule since the transfer of sovereignty.
支持核绿派 (Greens4Nuclear)
khuzifenq
YaBB God
United States

P P
« Reply #131 on: January 27, 2021, 03:43:08 AM »

Happy 180th birthday, Hong Kong! You are more than a century older than the PRC.

What is the significance of January 26th in Hong Kong? All I see on English Wikipedia is an entry dated to January 20, 1841 for the Convention of Chuenpi.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Hong_Kong
MoreThanPolitics
Rookie

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #132 on: January 27, 2021, 04:10:18 AM »
« Edited: January 27, 2021, 04:36:30 AM by MoreThanPolitics »

What is the significance of January 26th in Hong Kong? All I see on English Wikipedia is an entry dated to January 20, 1841 for the Convention of Chuenpi.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Hong_Kong

January 26, 1841 is the date which Hong Kong became a colony of the United Kingdom, after the British set foot in present-day Hong Kong Island.
MoreThanPolitics
Rookie

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #133 on: February 02, 2021, 06:58:12 AM »

High Court unseats pro-democratic district councillor

https://news.rthk.hk/rthk/en/component/k2/1573667-20210202.htm

A Democratic Party district councillor was on Tuesday disqualified after the High Court ruled that he was unduly elected.

Hung Chun-hin was representing the Tsui Ping constituency of Kwun Tong District Council, after beating the then incumbent, Cheng Keung-fung, by fewer than 400 votes in polls in 2019.

But Cheng lodged an election petition, arguing that the democrat had made a false statement in election leaflets by accusing Cheng of being a "fake independent" candidate.

Cheng said that throughout his campaign, he had made it clear that he is a member of the pro-government group, Positive Synergy.

High Court judge Anderson Chow agreed that the statement Hung made was indeed false, and was made to prejudice the polls against Cheng.

The judge also ordered Hung to pay the legal costs of the case.

Keep in mind that it is only the beginning of the suppression against pro-democracy figures. After the Lunar New Year, the government is making every district councilor take the oath of office, where they have to swear loyalty to the government and the Basic Law.

Source: https://hongkongfp.com/2021/01/21/hong-kong-district-councillors-have-to-swear-loyalty-to-govt-top-official-says/

Fun fact: Elected at age 21 in 2019, Hung was one of the youngest district councilors ever elected in Hong Kong. Heck, he was still an undergraduate student when he was elected!

MoreThanPolitics
Rookie

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #134 on: February 03, 2021, 08:36:20 AM »

NYT: How Hong Kong’s Neighborhood Leaders Became Champions of Freedom

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/02/02/world/asia/hong-kong-democracy-councilors.html?smid=tw-nytimes&smtyp=cur

HONG KONG — Some days, Cathy Yau wanders down dark alleys looking for rats to poison. Other days, she helps food banks deliver meals to older people. Often her phone rings with calls from constituents: neighbors asking about their rights during a police stop-and-frisk, or how to best navigate the city’s welfare bureaucracy.

Such is life for a Hong Kong district councilor.

“I do things that nobody’s directed you to do, but which no one else would do if I didn’t,” she said.

Ms. Yau, a 37-year-old former police officer, is among the hundreds of pro-democracy candidates who were elected to local government offices in Hong Kong in November 2019 on a wave of anti-establishment sentiment that followed months of street protests.

As the political climate in Hong Kong has rapidly changed, the councilors’ advocacy for the Chinese territory’s fragile democratic institutions has made them the latest target of Communist Party officials in Beijing. In recent months, about 50 of the city’s 392 (note: should be 389) opposition councilors have been arrested on charges related to the 2019 protests, campaign finances and violations of a contentious anti-sedition law. (Cont'd)
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #135 on: February 03, 2021, 09:19:53 AM »

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/02/02/world/asia/hong-kong-democracy-councilors.html?smid=tw-nytimes&smtyp=cur

HONG KONG — Some days, Cathy Yau wanders down dark alleys looking for rats to poison. Other days, she helps food banks deliver meals to older people. Often her phone rings with calls from constituents: neighbors asking about their rights during a police stop-and-frisk, or how to best navigate the city’s welfare bureaucracy.

“I do things that nobody’s directed you to do, but which no one else would do if I didn’t,” she said.

Ms. Yau, a 37-year-old former police officer, is among the hundreds of pro-democracy candidates who were elected to local government offices in Hong Kong in November 2019 on a wave of anti-establishment sentiment that followed months of street protests.

As the political climate in Hong Kong has rapidly changed, the councilors’ advocacy for the Chinese territory’s fragile democratic institutions has made them the latest target of Communist Party officials in Beijing. In recent months, about 50 of the city’s 392 (note: should be 389) opposition councilors have been arrested on charges related to the 2019 protests, campaign finances and violations of a contentious anti-sedition law. (Cont'd)

Carrie Lam?
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #136 on: February 05, 2021, 10:04:12 AM »

What I like about this is the HK government is finally putting in the rule that all councilors have to swear an oath to the PRC in order to serve.  I obviously prefer the oath be for ROC and I personally would never swear and oath to PRC but the key the feature here is the oath has to be an entity that has the word "China" in it.  HK is part of PRC and the councilors will have to accept that to serve.   I am happy for them to disagree and and I happy for them to run in elections even if they disagree.  They have every right to feel that HK is not part of China,  they should just do what SF does in the UK and just run but not serve. 
Estrella
Falkland Islands (Islas Malvinas)

« Reply #137 on: February 05, 2021, 05:33:11 PM »

What I like about this is the HK government is finally putting in the rule that all councilors have to swear an oath to the PRC in order to serve.  I obviously prefer the oath be for ROC and I personally would never swear and oath to PRC but the key the feature here is the oath has to be an entity that has the word "China" in it.

Ah, the wonderful absurdities of nationalism. This unironically reads like a line from The Bald Soprano.
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #138 on: February 05, 2021, 05:48:38 PM »

What I like about this is the HK government is finally putting in the rule that all councilors have to swear an oath to the PRC in order to serve.  I obviously prefer the oath be for ROC and I personally would never swear and oath to PRC but the key the feature here is the oath has to be an entity that has the word "China" in it.

Ah, the wonderful absurdities of nationalism. This unironically reads like a line from The Bald Soprano.

No different from oath of office for USA Senate

I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I take this obligation freely, without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; and that I will well and faithfully discharge the duties of the office on which I am about to enter: So help me God.

Just replace "Constitution of the United States" with "PRC" would be fine with me.   Like I said, just "China" instead of "PRC" would be good enough.
2952-0-0
exnaderite
Junior Chimp

« Reply #139 on: February 06, 2021, 01:52:28 PM »

Just replace "Constitution of the United States" with "PRC" would be fine with me.   Like I said, just "China" instead of "PRC" would be good enough.
The naivety from this post is astounding.

The CCP doesn't tolerate any notion that "China" can exist outside of "PRC" or "CCP-private fiefdom". To allow any idea that an alternative, non-CCP China is possible, would damage its power. The CCP only cares about lining its pockets through its monopoly on power (hence why its leaders have $$tens of billions$$ in offshore accounts), and all else is secondary.
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #140 on: February 06, 2021, 02:52:02 PM »

The naivety from this post is astounding.

The CCP doesn't tolerate any notion that "China" can exist outside of "PRC" or "CCP-private fiefdom". To allow any idea that an alternative, non-CCP China is possible, would damage its power. The CCP only cares about lining its pockets through its monopoly on power (hence why its leaders have $$tens of billions$$ in offshore accounts), and all else is secondary.

Of course the PRC would not accept just "China."  I never said they would. I merely stated that I liked the idea of the councilors having to swear an oath (similar to one to serve in the USA Senate) to an entity that includes the word "China"  Clearly PRC would fulfil that requirement even as I personally would prefer ROC or just "China."  I made no assertions that my position is equal to that of the PRC or that I somehow spoke for the PRC.
MoreThanPolitics
Rookie

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #141 on: February 23, 2021, 05:39:26 AM »

Hong Kong to require district councillors to swear allegiance to gov’t – violators face election ban

https://hongkongfp.com/2021/02/23/breaking-hong-kong-to-require-district-councillors-to-swear-allegiance-to-govt-or-face-election-ban/

Hong Kong will introduce new requirements for district councillors to take an oath swearing to uphold the Basic Law and pledge allegiance to the government.

Those who violate their oaths will be barred from election for five years, the Secretary for Constitutional and Mainland Affairs Erick Tsang announced on Tuesday. The ban will also apply to legislative councillors who are considered in violation of their loyalty pledges. (Cont'd)
2952-0-0
exnaderite
Junior Chimp

« Reply #142 on: February 27, 2021, 04:23:37 PM »

At this rate, North Korea will have more interesting elections than Hong Kong.
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #143 on: February 27, 2021, 05:04:46 PM »

Hong Kong to require district councillors to swear allegiance to gov’t – violators face election ban

https://hongkongfp.com/2021/02/23/breaking-hong-kong-to-require-district-councillors-to-swear-allegiance-to-govt-or-face-election-ban/

Hong Kong will introduce new requirements for district councillors to take an oath swearing to uphold the Basic Law and pledge allegiance to the government.

Those who violate their oaths will be barred from election for five years, the Secretary for Constitutional and Mainland Affairs Erick Tsang announced on Tuesday. The ban will also apply to legislative councillors who are considered in violation of their loyalty pledges. (Cont'd)

I have to do some  research but as of the 1970s at least 8 USA states require political candidates to swear oaths of loyalty before their names can appear on the ballot.  This seems similar to those laws.  Not to say I am in favor of it.  I think the HK government should do what I suggested: have election winners take an oath of loyalty to PRC before taking office versus making the candidate take such an oath ahead of time just to appear on the ballot.  Obviously if these laws are about people that took part in terrorism and other other felony as part of violent protests I can support laws that prevent such people from running.
MoreThanPolitics
Rookie

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #144 on: February 28, 2021, 01:50:03 AM »

The regime HAS to do this on February 28, huh?
MoreThanPolitics
Rookie

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #145 on: February 28, 2021, 02:08:20 AM »

WaPo: Dozens of Hong Kong pro-democracy activists charged under national security law
https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/asia_pacific/hong-kong-arrests-national-security-law/2021/02/28/7e6cd252-77ea-11eb-9489-8f7dacd51e75_story.html

HONG KONG — Some sat down for one last long meal with their partners. Another went to a tattoo artist who inked a Buddhist mantra on his forearm. One purchased new pink-rimmed glasses, ditching contact lenses that will be an inconvenience in jail.

Then, on Sunday afternoon, the Hong Kong pro-democracy activists fanned out to police stations across the territory, where more than 40 of them were officially charged with inciting subversion under the national security law, according to a list provided to lawyers. They were detained immediately, and face life in prison if found guilty.

The action against this large group represents the harshest and widest use of Beijing’s national security law in Hong Kong to date, dramatically increasing the number of people charged under the draconian legislation. They are expected to be denied bail and instead remain in detention before trial, like the five charged previously under the security law — a significant departure from Hong Kong’s common law system.

History repeats itself after what happened in Taiwan 41 years ago.
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #146 on: February 28, 2021, 06:31:57 AM »

The regime HAS to do this on February 28, huh?

Hmmm .. just to be clear the 228 riots in 1947 were mostly organized by pro-CCP elements.  Many of the the CCP activists that were executed by ROC armed forces as part of this uprising are now being honored in Beijing's 八寶山 (Babaoshan Revolutionary Cemetery).  Sure, pro-Taiwan Independence groups also appropriate 228 to be their own day of raising for Taiwan Independence so they can fight with the CCP to see who "owns" 228.  Back in 1947 228 the CCP, fighting the ROC armed forces at the time, praised the 228 uprising and despicably announced their support for Taiwan Independence as part of their cause to overthrow their "counterrevolutionary" KMT foes.  The CCP have since clearly walked this back but have not explicitly denounced their March 1st 1947 pro-Taiwan Independence announcement as part of their support for the 228 uprising. 

My main point here is that in official CCP history 228 is a positive event and part of its struggle with the KMT.  Of course I am on the other side of this and view 228 as a traitorous pro-CCP pro-Taiwan Independence    uprising.  The fact that the CCP have since shifted toward Chinese nationalism is great but that is decades later.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #147 on: February 28, 2021, 11:51:57 AM »

I have to do some  research but as of the 1970s at least 8 USA states require political candidates to swear oaths of loyalty before their names can appear on the ballot.  This seems similar to those laws.  Not to say I am in favor of it.  I think the HK government should do what I suggested: have election winners take an oath of loyalty to PRC before taking office versus making the candidate take such an oath ahead of time just to appear on the ballot.  Obviously if these laws are about people that took part in terrorism and other other felony as part of violent protests I can support laws that prevent such people from running.

How about jailing Carrie Lam and her traitorious collaborators for violating the retrocession terms?
They are the real criminals here.
MoreThanPolitics
Rookie

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #148 on: March 05, 2021, 02:52:06 AM »

HKFP: Beijing vows to overhaul Hong Kong’s mini-constitution, tightening grip on elections
https://hongkongfp.com/2021/03/05/beijing-vows-to-overhaul-hong-kongs-mini-constitution-tightening-grip-on-elections/

A top Chinese politician announced plans on Friday to revise parts of Hong Kong’s constitution and institute sweeping political changes there in response to “chaos” in the city’s society.

One critic said the drastic changes would make future elections meaningless in the city, while a pro-Beijing politician in Hong Kong said the time was ripe to plug loopholes in the system.

Wang Chen, vice chairman of the National People’s Congress (NPC) standing committee, outlined the draft of the “NPC’s decision to improve the HKSAR’s electoral system” at the opening ceremony of the legislature’s annual meeting.

Welcome to the sham election era of Hong Kong. Just abolish them FFS!
MoreThanPolitics
Rookie

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #149 on: March 05, 2021, 08:43:40 PM »
« Edited: March 06, 2021, 01:15:35 AM by MoreThanPolitics »

CCP's new proposal is as follows:
- 20 from geographical constituencies (down from 35); 10 double-member seats to ensure Beijing loyalists always get half of the seats
- 30 from functional constituencies; 5 DC2 "super seats" abolished
- *40* newly-added Election Committee seats which also "picks" the Chief Executive

This ensures that the pro-democracy camp will never get more than 20/90 seats in the legislature despite having a 57-41 lead over the pro-Beijing camp (*2019 District Council election results)

But yeah, the CCP claimed that it was DeMoCrAtIc ReFoRmS wItH hOnG kOnG cHaRaCtErIsTiCs, where the percentage of popularly-elected seats dropped from 57% to 22%! We're one step closer to full democracy! /s  

Even in Macau, 42% (14/33) of the legislature is directly elected.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies