I believe it is dangerous to castigate voters who are "uneducated"
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 11:32:16 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  I believe it is dangerous to castigate voters who are "uneducated"
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: I believe it is dangerous to castigate voters who are "uneducated"  (Read 340 times)
Matty
boshembechle
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 26, 2017, 09:38:25 PM »

One of the more unfortunate developments in American politics is the belief that people who perhaps aren't as "book smart" or university-educated have political opinions that should be weighed less than people are are educated at a univeristy/have high iq/etc.

This criticism goes both ways, btw. Conservatives often depict the inner cities in this manner, and liberals are increasingly treating rural/small town areas like this, as well.

I believe it is against the very spirit of democracy to make raw "intelligence" an issue when choosing how to view voters. It opens up a can of worms that at one point justified limited suffrage and lack of voting rights.

But I also believe this issue goes even deeper and is profoundly dangerous on a moral level, as well. Intelligence, at least measured by IQ, is a characteristic beyond the control of someone. Choosing to measure their worth by it is an example of bigotry, intolerance, and ignorance. It assumes that because you may not be great at academic matters, you have nothing interesting to say or add to a conversation, or that your experiences, and reactions to those experiences, do not matter. It's an example of that erasing the value of a soul, using materialistic foundations. History tells us that judging people based on physical or mental characterists can lead to nasty outcomes.

I am reminded of CS Lewis' marvelous work "The Abolition of Man". Using raw materialistic measures, such as skin color, race, gender, and Cognitive capacity, to explain man actually explains him away. His kindness, his morality, his skills, his capabilities, the invisible light inside of him, is forgotten.

Rural trump voters and inner city democrats have souls, and those souls are beautiful, and they  are some of the most valuable things society can have.

I am reminded of another CS lewis work, "The Pilgrim's Regress". John, a young boy, is captured by a giant, who when he stares at you, sees through you , and turns you into what your insides look like- terrible skeletons and hideous organs, tubes, and spongy tissue. John was put in a dungeon with many of these monstrous skeletons who were the giants' victims.

A woman, lady reason, eventually rescues John from the dungeon.

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2017, 09:50:12 PM »

It is common for people with intelligence (or some claim recognized as supporting intelligence) to adopt an arrogant stance towards those that lack it. It is certainly anti-democratic to dismiss parts of the electorate on the grounds that they are "uneducated", though a big problem also lies in the nature of the claim.

Education is important in human cultivation, but it does not allow you to make a silk purse of a sow's ear. At its best, it takes people and directs their growth to be the most effective it can be, but even then it is limited by who you are working with. I have known high school dropouts who were brilliant and Ph.D-holders who were ignorant morons. Sure the averages do not bear that out, but it indicates a few of the fundamental flaws with using "uneducated" as a slur.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2017, 10:35:38 PM »

I never believed the day would come when I would type out these words but...

Marty is absolutely right.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2017, 09:58:48 AM »

I prefer to castigate certain voters who are poor and working class, to be honest.
Phony Moderate
Obamaisdabest
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2017, 11:11:02 AM »

On this subject, Crabcake or someone made a good point about voting patterns in certain 1930s elections.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2017, 02:00:30 PM »

I prefer to castigate certain voters who are poor and working class, to be honest.

...what?
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies