VA-WaPo/GMU: Northam and Perriello hold double digit leads over Gillespie
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 08:46:45 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections
  2023 & Odd Year Gubernatorial Election Polls (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  VA-WaPo/GMU: Northam and Perriello hold double digit leads over Gillespie
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: VA-WaPo/GMU: Northam and Perriello hold double digit leads over Gillespie  (Read 1836 times)
heatcharger
Junior Chimp
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -1.04, S: -0.24

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 22, 2017, 07:04:37 AM »
« edited: May 23, 2017, 10:03:31 PM by heatcharger »

Link.

Crosstabs.

windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2017, 07:09:23 AM »

Well,
I don't think Gillespie is a terrible candidate, but Trump is going to have a 35% approval ratings in VA, so I wouldn't be surprised in the end if Perriello or Northam wins by double digits, like Mcdonnell trounced a decent candidate in 2009.
Gass3268
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2017, 07:39:18 AM »

Remeber when all the serious Atlas people said this was a toss up? Lol

I imagine most of the undecideds are Republicans, like normal in Virgina, but that still should result in a 5-10 point win for either Democrat.

Likely Dem
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2017, 09:49:52 AM »

So much winning...

Likely D at this point.
SoLongAtlas
VirginiaModerate
United States
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2017, 10:04:27 AM »

Good news.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2017, 10:30:37 AM »

Like I said Dems, in VA will win decively, because of the Trump effect 51-46%. Due VA being a DC suburb now and Blacks in Richmond
MT Treasurer
IndyRep
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2017, 11:43:21 AM »

FWIW, they also had McAuliffe up 11 points in late October.

I still think this one will be closer than most people here expect, but Northam should win in the end. However, if Gillespie DOES lose in a landslide, I really doubt this race (or the special election, for that matter) would have been winnable for Republicans with Clinton in the White House either. Anyway, Lean D for now.
Gass3268
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2017, 11:47:49 AM »

FWIW, they also had McAuliffe up 11 points in late October.

I still think this one will be closer than most people here expect, but Northam should win in the end. However, if Gillespie DOES lose in a landslide, I really doubt this race (or the special election, for that matter) would have been winnable for Republicans with Clinton in the White House either. Anyway, Lean D for now.

1) Republicans make up their minds real late in Virginia
2) The Government shutdown had just ended on 10/16, so I think that number was a bit inflated at that time

Without the shutdown I think Cuccinelli wins by like 1-2%.

Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2017, 02:46:43 PM »

Here we go, we shall beat Comstock
Skye
yeah_93
YaBB God
Venezuela

« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2017, 07:51:21 AM »

Really hard to see Gillespie winning here with Trump's awful numbers in the state.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2017, 09:47:28 PM »

hahaha this is terrific! Gillespie getting a well deserved smashing.
CapoteMonster
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.49, S: -2.61

« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2017, 10:02:22 PM »

I can't view the article. Does anyone have the crosstabs?
heatcharger
Junior Chimp
Sweden

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2017, 10:03:40 PM »

I can't view the article. Does anyone have the crosstabs?

Just updated the OP.
ProgressiveCanadian
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2017, 10:43:03 PM »

The more progressive democratic candidate has a bigger lead? Wow haven't heard of that happening before. Tongue
heatcharger
Junior Chimp
Sweden

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2017, 10:49:41 PM »

The more progressive democratic candidate has a bigger lead? Wow haven't heard of that happening before. Tongue

This is adorable.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2017, 10:51:58 PM »

It happens a lot, but it's actually a bit of a surprise that it happens even in Virginia.
MT Treasurer
IndyRep
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2017, 01:17:45 PM »

Lol. But seriously, what is this idea that Perriello is more electable than Northam based on anyway? That he has more appeal in rural areas than Northam? I highly doubt that'll be the case on election day, and I also doubt that he would do better than Northam in the general election, despite what all of these polls are saying now.

If I were a Democrat, I'd probably root for Northam here. He's the safe choice IMO.
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -7.30

« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2017, 01:29:41 PM »

Lol. But seriously, what is this idea that Perriello is more electable than Northam based on anyway? That he has more appeal in rural areas than Northam? I highly doubt that'll be the case on election day, and I also doubt that he would do better than Northam in the general election, despite what all of these polls are saying now.

If I were a Democrat, I'd probably root for Northam here. He's the safe choice IMO.

Northam would be a great candidate to have in Alabama with Moore as the nominee, or Louisiana with Duke. But that's not what's at play in Virginia. If Democrats can afford to be dynamic, then we should be.
Shameless Lefty Hack
Chickenhawk

« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2017, 03:45:55 PM »

Northam would be a great candidate to have in Alabama with Moore as the nominee, or Louisiana with Duke. But that's not what's at play in Virginia. If Democrats can afford to be dynamic, then we should be.

We want Perriello because we trust him more to actually fight for and implement the policies that we want. Irrespective of whether or not he's more "electable" (he is) he'll be a more effective implementer of left and liberal ideas.

But if he kept even his 2010 margin in the VA-5 and performed like a normal Democrat in NOVA, Richmond &c that would be pretty neat.
libertpaulian
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2017, 07:01:17 PM »

We want Perriello because we trust him more to actually fight for and implement the policies that we want. Irrespective of whether or not he's more "electable" (he is) he'll be a more effective implementer of left and liberal ideas.

But if he kept even his 2010 margin in the VA-5 and performed like a normal Democrat in NOVA, Richmond &c that would be pretty neat.
Virginia doesn't go for populists, whether they be on the left or the right, as evident by Trump's 5% loss in the state.  They go for technocrats and establishment candidates, as evidenced by Clinton's, Northam's, and Gillespie's victories.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies