State Legislature Special Election Mega Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 21, 2024, 11:37:00 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  State Legislature Special Election Mega Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 61 62 63 64 65 [66] 67 68 69 70 71 ... 84
Author Topic: State Legislature Special Election Mega Thread  (Read 179809 times)
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.48, S: -1.83

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1625 on: February 13, 2018, 09:21:04 PM »

The next competitive election is the Connecticut seat on the 27th.

KY HD-49 may surprise.

Belcher is almost for sure reclaiming her seat, Likely D.
Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #1626 on: February 13, 2018, 09:25:10 PM »

KY HD-49 may surprise.

Trump won 75% of the vote in that seat. It's a long-shot, at best.
Attorney General & PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P
« Reply #1627 on: February 13, 2018, 09:25:21 PM »

Final OK Numbers:

STATE SENATOR   
FOR STATE SENATOR DISTRICT 27 (UNEXPIRED TERM)   
75 of 75 Precincts Completely Reporting      
ABSENTEE
MAIL      EARLY
VOTING      ELECTION
DAY      
TOTAL      
CASEY MURDOCK (REP)   260      575      5,349      6,184   67.97%
AMBER JENSEN (DEM)   86      263      2,565      2,914   32.03%
Total   346      838      7,914      9,098   

Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #1628 on: February 13, 2018, 09:25:59 PM »

That's it for tonight. Next election is in LA on Saturday.
America Needs a 13-6 Progressive SCOTUS
Solid4096
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.88, S: -8.51

P P P
« Reply #1629 on: February 13, 2018, 09:26:28 PM »

It is tiring to see the massive Republican over-performance in Connecticut special elections. It makes no sense that Republicans there are over-performing their 2016 numbers, when they are under-performing everywhere else.
LimoLiberal
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.71, S: -4.00

« Reply #1630 on: February 13, 2018, 09:27:12 PM »

KY HD-49 may surprise.

Yeah I'm going to be a little surprised if she loses.
Holy Unifying Centrist
DTC
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 9.53, S: 10.54

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1631 on: February 13, 2018, 09:28:54 PM »

It is tiring to see the massive Republican over-performance in Connecticut special elections. It makes no sense that Republicans there are over-performing their 2016 numbers, when they are under-performing everywhere else.

There's a reason you're seeing gigantic swings in Oklahoma but backwards swings in CT: state politics are... local

The democrats in Connecticut messed up the state (specifically Dan Malloy).

The local Republicans in CT tend to be more moderate.

Therefore a lot of people who voted Clinton are much more inclined to vote for CT Republicans. I would highly consider voting republicans locally if I lived in CT.

Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #1632 on: February 13, 2018, 09:28:58 PM »

It does make sense when you realize just how unpopular Malloy is among people who actually live in Connecticut.
Former Kentuckian
Cal

« Reply #1633 on: February 13, 2018, 09:30:54 PM »

KY HD-49 may surprise.

Trump won 75% of the vote in that seat. It's a long-shot, at best.

Trump won 75% of the vote in that seat while Belcher won 49.58% the same year. She shouldn't be underestimated.
Holy Unifying Centrist
DTC
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 9.53, S: 10.54

« Reply #1634 on: February 13, 2018, 09:34:56 PM »

It does make sense when you realize just how unpopular Malloy is among people who actually live in Connecticut.

Trump is more unpopular in CT, though.

And yeah, Belcher will win.

Yeah... but Trump isn't on the ballot in a local election. People are able to distance local politics from national politics.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1635 on: February 13, 2018, 09:37:23 PM »

Final GA Numbers in. Embarrassing performance for Democrats here. With the races last month, and now this race, there is clearly something seriously wrong with the GA DEM PARTY. Doesn't bode well for GA-GOV 2018.

Counties/Precincts Reporting: 100 %
TREVA GEAR (DEM)23.55 %778
JOHN LAHOOD (REP)70.73 %2,337
BRUCE PHELPS (REP)2.21 %73
COY REAVES (REP)3.51 %116

I'm not concerned at all; actually I'm outraged because I looked at these results closely and it's pretty obvious the Republicans committed voter fraud here.
Former Kentuckian
Cal

« Reply #1636 on: February 13, 2018, 09:37:59 PM »

About Belcher: not only is she a force of nature, the Dan Johnson scandal still has people shaken and there's a feeling of regret over him winning by a tiny margin in 2016. He was a psycho: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dan_Johnson_(Kentucky_politician)
LimoLiberal
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #1637 on: February 13, 2018, 09:40:13 PM »

About Belcher: not only is she a force of nature, the Dan Johnson scandal still has people shaken and there's a feeling of regret over him winning by a tiny margin in 2016. He was a psycho: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dan_Johnson_(Kentucky_politician)

I hope the KY Dem party is organizing hard on the ground over there. With his widow running, this should be an exceedingly easy pickup.
Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #1638 on: February 13, 2018, 09:41:02 PM »

Trump is more unpopular in CT, though.

And yeah, Belcher will win.

Yeah... but Trump isn't on the ballot in a local election. People are able to distance local politics from national politics.

Not anymore. Trump has loomed over ever state GOP candidate in special elections this past year.

Also, by your logic, Malloy isn't on the ballot either. Same deal.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

« Reply #1639 on: February 13, 2018, 09:41:52 PM »

Not usually. Looking at past elections, it's pretty clear national politics means a lot, and it makes sense when you consider how obscure some of these legislative races can be. All the media really focuses on is national politics, with some state stuff here and there. I'd bet most people can't even name the lawmaker(s) who represent them. That is why presidential approval ratings are a great predictor for downballot races.

The only times voters buck this trend is when the state government (and the party that controls it) becomes such a problem that it essentially blots out the sun, like in Kansas, Oklahoma and Connecticut.
Former Kentuckian
Cal

« Reply #1640 on: February 13, 2018, 09:44:39 PM »

I hope the KY Dem party is organizing hard on the ground over there. With his widow running, this should be an exceedingly easy pickup.

Linda has been canvassing with Alison Lundergan Grimes and Andy Beshear, canvassing with unions, and she's also been the only one to show up to candidate forums. Like her husband Dan, Rebecca is doing the bare minimum and mostly relying on passing around pamphlets and social media posts about abortion and guns.

https://www.facebook.com/LindaLHBelcher/
LimoLiberal
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #1641 on: February 13, 2018, 09:45:09 PM »

Not usually. Looking at past elections, it's pretty clear national politics means a lot, and it makes sense when you consider how obscure some of these legislative races can be. All the media really focuses on is national politics, with some state stuff here and there. I'd bet most people can't even name the lawmaker(s) who represent them. That is why presidential approval ratings are a great predictor for downballot races.

The only times voters buck this trend is when the state government (and the party that controls it) becomes such a problem that it essentially blots out the sun, like in Kansas, Oklahoma and Connecticut.

I'm a heroin-esque political junkie and I still forget who my delegate and state senator are. Doesn't help that there are like 6 representing Arlington county. Thanks VA-GOP Gerrymander!
Former Kentuckian
Cal

« Reply #1642 on: February 13, 2018, 09:47:12 PM »

Also, keep an eye on KY HD-89. It's an insanely tough district for Democrats, but they have a fantastic, energetic recruit (someone I know personally) in Kelly Smith: https://www.facebook.com/KellySmithKY/ What she gets on February 27 will be a better barometer of the political mood in Kentucky than Belcher's district.
LimoLiberal
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #1643 on: February 13, 2018, 09:48:54 PM »

Linda has been canvassing with Alison Lundergan Grimes and Andy Beshear, canvassing with unions, and she's also been the only one to show up to candidate forums. Like her husband Dan, Rebecca is doing the bare minimum and mostly relying on passing around pamphlets and social media posts about abortion and guns.

https://www.facebook.com/LindaLHBelcher/

Awesome. Checked out Rebecca Johnson's facebook, she's barely getting a comment a post. I take these metrics very seriously in 2000 vote special-elections. They're basically like little enthusiasm polls.
Boston Bread
New Canadaland
YaBB God
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -5.00, S: -5.00

« Reply #1644 on: February 13, 2018, 10:06:21 PM »

Maps for SD-27:
https://twitter.com/burace17/status/963601245549326336
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #1645 on: February 13, 2018, 10:12:30 PM »

Neat, Jensen won some precincts.
Doimper
Doctor Imperialism

« Reply #1646 on: February 13, 2018, 10:21:37 PM »

Final GA Numbers in. Embarrassing performance for Democrats here. With the races last month, and now this race, there is clearly something seriously wrong with the GA DEM PARTY. Doesn't bode well for GA-GOV 2018.

I'm not concerned at all; actually I'm outraged because I looked at these results closely and it's pretty obvious the Republicans committed voter fraud here.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

« Reply #1647 on: February 13, 2018, 11:19:41 PM »
« Edited: February 13, 2018, 11:21:22 PM by Virginia »

Basically my thoughts as well. You could argue that this isn’t really true of gubernatorial or other, more low-profile statewide races taking place in midterm or presidential years, but even that’s debatable.

I'm not entirely sure if you could boil it down into an average "penalty," but gubernatorial elections are definitely affected the same way as everything else:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Political_party_strength_in_U.S._states

Every time a wave hit, the party on the losing side of it predictably lost ground with governors offices. The last election that really breaks from this trend is 1986, but I suppose Democrats were pretty overextended in an environment whose natural balance of power was moving more towards Republicans downballot.
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #1648 on: February 13, 2018, 11:23:51 PM »

Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #1649 on: February 14, 2018, 12:28:50 AM »

Georgia is the touchscreen-only state where election data was wiped clean after the state was sued for posting voter registration files online.
Pages: 1 ... 61 62 63 64 65 [66] 67 68 69 70 71 ... 84  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies