Please avoid making threats or wishing for violent crimes against any individual

<< < (3/29) > >>

GeorgiaModerate:
Quote from: publicunofficial on May 18, 2017, 12:23:59 PM

Quote from: Torie on May 18, 2017, 11:04:35 AM

Quote from: publicunofficial on May 18, 2017, 10:16:45 AM

Can I openly wish for Trump to die of bowel cancer? That doesn't seem violent or a threat.

See Pit's post above.

Ah. I intend to test the limits of the Mods' patience with this rule.

"We pray for X's soul to make its way to Heaven."

"Soon."

Torie:

Can I openly wish for Trump to die of bowel cancer? That doesn't seem violent or a threat.

See Pit's post above.

You're off my Christmas card list.

Atlas Has Shrugged:

See Pit's post above.

I'm hoping the Secret Service give you a call. You sound deranged.

The_Doctor:
Is this applicable to non-American leaders that are our enemies? I still can call for horrible things to happen to ISIS or the Kremlin right? What's the standard on that?

E.g I hope the Russian hackers who hacked our elections are taken out by covert operations that assassinate them? Or that Daesh is blown up?

I'm not interested in saying the same about our fellow Americans. Impeachment and prosecution for crimes is enough and the rule of law should apply as well as respect for it. To be clear, I do not wish ill on President Trump or his political aides physically; they are American citizens and they should be treated legally in commensurate proportion to their crimes, if any are found.

Mainly, I want to say bad things about the Russians and ISIS, but it's a politically tricky line, so I'm seeking guidance here.

Torie:
Quote from: TD on May 18, 2017, 01:51:17 PM

Is this applicable to non-American leaders that are our enemies? I still can call for horrible things to happen to ISIS or the Kremlin right? What's the standard on that?

E.g I hope the Russian hackers who hacked our elections are taken out by covert operations that assassinate them? Or that Daesh is blown up?

I'm not interested in saying the same about our fellow Americans. Impeachment is enough and the rule of law should apply as well as respect for it.

Here's the thing. Sure, posting that you wish that someone would off some genocidal maniac with power is not out of line. But then the mods need to subjectively evaluate whether the person involved really deserves summary killing without trial and jury under some moral standard. And that can be tricky. We discussed this aspect too in the Cave.

In the end I think, the best we can do is say that if you post that someone deserves killing, you do so at your own risk, and when in doubt, just don't do it. Close cases will be resolved against you. Typically saying that about someone residing in a nation that has the rule of law and is a civil society would almost always be out of line I would think. In places that have brutal authoritarian folks in power, perhaps sometimes it would not be so out of line.

That's how I see it anyway. My fellow Mods may handle it a bit differently. There is no easy answer here. It really is all about good judgment and common sense. And just how necessary is it for one to post that someone needs killing? It typically would be more of an exercise in venting than anything else I would think.

Just my two cents.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page