Rosenstein at DoJ appoints Special Counsel to oversee Russia investigation!!
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 02, 2024, 10:03:41 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Rosenstein at DoJ appoints Special Counsel to oversee Russia investigation!!
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Author Topic: Rosenstein at DoJ appoints Special Counsel to oversee Russia investigation!!  (Read 5976 times)
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: May 17, 2017, 05:40:42 PM »

Bad.  This isn't enough.  We need an INDEPENDENT COMMISSION, like the 9.11 commission.  Dont let this distract you. 
Statilius the Epicurean
Thersites
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #26 on: May 17, 2017, 05:41:55 PM »

This is a brilliant move -- assuages concerns to a point, and will likely blot out coverage of the Comey memo, at least temporarily.

Taking this back, at least for the time being, since it seems like Trump may not have been involved in this decision.
But he is appointed by Justice Department. Could it really have happened without Sessions?

Rosenstein made the appointment (presumably because Sessions is recused).

The man who threatened to resign after the White House tried to make him the fall-guy for the Comey firing...
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #27 on: May 17, 2017, 05:43:59 PM »

This is a brilliant move -- assuages concerns to a point, and will likely blot out coverage of the Comey memo, at least temporarily.

Taking this back, at least for the time being, since it seems like Trump may not have been involved in this decision.

But he is appointed by Justice Department. Could it really have happened without Sessions?

This is somewhat strange.
Why did it come from Rosenstein and not Sessions ?
Did (and can) Rosenstein by-pass (go over) Sessions, and do this all based on his judgment alone ? I don't know enough about how the (DoJ and Special Council) procedure(s) work in this matter.
I Won - Get Over It
« Reply #28 on: May 17, 2017, 05:44:31 PM »

Ok. It sounds a bit strange given Rosenstein's "firing" memo.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #29 on: May 17, 2017, 05:45:55 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #30 on: May 17, 2017, 05:47:02 PM »

Guys, guys, did you actually believe that Donald Trump would agree to appoint an investigator who looks into his presidential campaign's ties to Russia just after he fired James Comey because he wouldn't "let it go"??

This is Rosenstein attempting to save his reputation. The possibility of another Saturday Night Massacre (this time including Rosenstein and Mueller) still remains. I guess the latter depends on whether Ivanka will be able to calm her father down now.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #31 on: May 17, 2017, 05:47:15 PM »

Did (and can) Rosenstein by-pass (go over) Sessions, and do this all based on his judgment alone ? I don't know enough about how the (DoJ and Special Council) procedure(s) work in this matter.

Here's the full text of the order establishing this one: https://www.scribd.com/document/348673310/Order-3915-2017-Special-Counsel
The_Doctor
SilentCal1924

« Reply #32 on: May 17, 2017, 05:55:04 PM »

Mueller also has civil service protections so he can't be fired by Trump

Proof? I think Trump can remove him from the investigation or Sessions can.
I Won - Get Over It
« Reply #33 on: May 17, 2017, 05:55:55 PM »

This is basically my question. Didn't Sesions have at least some kind of passive involvement?
Confused Democrat
reidmill
United States

« Reply #34 on: May 17, 2017, 05:58:02 PM »

It was my understanding that only Rosenstein can remove Mueller.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #35 on: May 17, 2017, 05:59:02 PM »

This is basically my question. Didn't Sesions have at least some kind of passive involvement?

I don't know if we'll ever know if Sessions was in the loop, but the law on special counsels explicitly gives the acting AG the authority to appoint one on matters for which the AG is recused.  It's reasonable to assume that Rosenstein did this entirely on his own.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #36 on: May 17, 2017, 05:59:07 PM »

Here's the full text of the order establishing this one: https://www.scribd.com/document/348673310/Order-3915-2017-Special-Counsel

Ok. Thank you.
I also see from other Atlas responses (and I was reminded) that Sessions previously recused himself, from all matters pertaining to "Russia."
I forgot about that.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #37 on: May 17, 2017, 06:04:00 PM »

It was my understanding that only Rosenstein can remove Mueller.

Yes, assuming the law is still the same in this regard, that's what triggered the Saturday Night Massacre during Watergate.  Nixon wanted the special prosecutor (Archibald Cox) removed, but could not fire him directly.  He ordered AG Elliott Richardson to fire Cox, but Richardson refused and resigned.  Nixon then ordered the Deputy AG, William Ruckelshaus, to fire Cox, and he followed Richardson's lead and resigned.  Nixon then went down the DoJ chain of command and got Robert Bork, the Solicitor General, to fire Cox. 

Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #38 on: May 17, 2017, 06:08:53 PM »

For the record, Special Counsel isn't the same as a Special Prosecutor:

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2017/5/10/15609794/independent-russia-trump-investigation-special-prosecutor

Obviously it will do for now, and it does open up Trump to a situation where he might feel and act on the desire to fire the special counsel, which would really hurt his image even more than recent actions. However, it would be nice to have a truly independent commission or even a new special prosecutor law passed to free this whole investigation from partisan influence.
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #39 on: May 17, 2017, 06:11:27 PM »

If Trump removed Mueller (or Rosenstein now), then THAT would be a fair comparison to the "Saturday Night Massacre." It would make the last 10 days look like a kid's birthday party.

Rosenstein appointed him because Sessions is recused.
Admiral Kizaru
Political Matrix
E: -3.61, S: -3.83

« Reply #40 on: May 17, 2017, 06:12:06 PM »

https://twitter.com/CBSNews/status/864973220654579716
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #41 on: May 17, 2017, 06:12:14 PM »

For the record, Special Counsel isn't the same as a Special Prosecutor:

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2017/5/10/15609794/independent-russia-trump-investigation-special-prosecutor

Obviously it will do for now, and it does open up Trump to a situation where he might feel and act on the desire to fire the special counsel, which would really hurt his image even more than recent actions. However, it would be nice to have a truly independent commission or even a new special prosecutor law passed to free this whole investigation from partisan influence.

Ah, thank you for that clarification.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #42 on: May 17, 2017, 06:13:55 PM »

Shocked
Nyvin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #43 on: May 17, 2017, 06:20:51 PM »

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2017/5/17/1663407/-Breaking-We-have-a-Special-Counsel

This guy kinda sounds like a badass.   Helps that he's buddy-buddy with Comey too.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #44 on: May 17, 2017, 06:21:57 PM »

Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #45 on: May 17, 2017, 06:22:10 PM »

I don't know enough about all that to say, but somehow I doubt civil service means Trump or at least Sessions/Rosenstein can't remove Mueller from this investigation even if he can't technically be fired. I'd like to see some clarification on that in particular.
I Won - Get Over It
« Reply #46 on: May 17, 2017, 06:28:50 PM »

Interesting. Though I don't understand how one can verify it?

Still, good choice. 12 years as FBI Chief. They clearly want to make it look like a fair and reasonable exchange Comey-Mueller.
ApatheticAustrian
ApathicAustrian
Junior Chimp
Austria

« Reply #47 on: May 17, 2017, 06:39:11 PM »

CNN just said Mueller has the power to subpoena tax returns.

This is good for Trump in short term. Mueller won't leak. Investigation will go silent. Will take a few years.
https://twitter.com/jpodhoretz/status/864977628519944192
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #48 on: May 17, 2017, 06:41:53 PM »

CNN just said Mueller has the power to subpoena tax returns.

This is good for Trump in short term. Mueller won't leak. Investigation will go silent. Will take a few years.
https://twitter.com/jpodhoretz/status/864977628519944192

Months, not years.
EnglishPete

« Reply #49 on: May 17, 2017, 06:42:23 PM »

The man who threatened to resign after the White House tried to make him the fall-guy for the Comey firing...
Except that there's absolutely no evidence that he did threaten to resign.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies