PRII analysis on WWC voters
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 02:08:52 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  PRII analysis on WWC voters
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: PRII analysis on WWC voters  (Read 5085 times)
Since I'm the mad scientist proclaimed by myself
omegascarlet
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 16, 2017, 08:36:24 AM »

After looking a bit more carefully...

https://www.prri.org/research/white-working-class-attitudes-economy-trade-immigration-election-donald-trump

You must be logged in to read this quote.

omegascarlet
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2017, 08:36:53 AM »

Intell
Junior Chimp
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -1.24

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2017, 09:19:21 AM »

None of this is surprising, apart from again the stupidity of labelling WWC as non-college educated.
omegascarlet
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2017, 10:19:35 AM »

One thing to note is that Collage educated and non Collage educated whites have virtually the same level of support for raising the minimum wage.

Note: I'm not sure my current thoughts on this are something I would have agreed with even a few hours ago.

These people need help and should be sympathized with(with a few exceptions, mostly among the more well off), but the focus on cultural issues among many mean that serious improvement among them at the ballot box is challanging. Perhaps that will change with the AHCA(at the cost of members of their community being effectively murdered by it; not something to hope for), perhaps there is a rhetorical strategy that could be effective at either convincing them to go D despite cultural issues or to liberalize on them. But as it stands now, it seems the best path for the democrats is to focus on persuadable collage educated people(95% white, but Texas has a significant amount of hispanics that fit the description) and upping black and latino turnout.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2017, 03:41:52 PM »

People's political attitudes are not set in stone. They're a product of the ability of social actors to shape the prevalent culture and infuse it with a given hegemony. The left used to be pretty good at it, but for some reason they decided to give up on that since the 1980s.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2017, 03:45:54 PM »

One thing to note is that Collage educated and non Collage educated whites

*raises eyebrow*
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2017, 03:01:34 PM »

None of this is surprising, apart from again the stupidity of labelling WWC as non-college educated.

It really is EXTREMELY antiquated.  It might have been a valuable measuring stick back in the '50s, '60s, '70s, '80s and even '90s, but as Millenials have gotten older and Greatest Generation folks have died off, having a college degree has gone from an indicator of relatively high social status to something that a lot of struggling, WORKING CLASS people have.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2017, 03:21:20 PM »

It really is EXTREMELY antiquated.  It might have been a valuable measuring stick back in the '50s, '60s, '70s, '80s and even '90s, but as Millenials have gotten older and Greatest Generation folks have died off, having a college degree has gone from an indicator of relatively high social status to something that a lot of struggling, WORKING CLASS people have.

It still says something about class. I.e. It helps capture the difference between a tradesman making $70k and the social worker making $30k, but yes it is increasingly useless as a proxy for class.
Technocracy Timmy
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2017, 03:25:39 PM »
« Edited: May 17, 2017, 03:27:19 PM by Technocratic Timmy »

It really is EXTREMELY antiquated.  It might have been a valuable measuring stick back in the '50s, '60s, '70s, '80s and even '90s, but as Millenials have gotten older and Greatest Generation folks have died off, having a college degree has gone from an indicator of relatively high social status to something that a lot of struggling, WORKING CLASS people have.

This puzzles me to no end. When people think "working class whites" it almost immediately conjures up images of baby boomer former factory workers in Michigan who now work at Walmart. People almost never consider the 18-40 year old white working class millennials/young Gen Xers who aren't as religious or anxious about losing their white social status in their perception of white working class people. They exist in large numbers though. They work in the low wage service sector, manual labor, call centers, etc.

I mean millennials are about 55-60% nonhispanic white correct? And I've seen quite a few economic studies indicating that we currently have a lower economic standing than our parents did at our age. That's a lot of working class white millennials and young Xers out there.

I figure that if the Democrats want to win elections, this group would be far more succeptible to their message than 50-60 year old boomers. Most people realize that a lot of older whites are not gonna cross over to the Democratic Party and be reliable members, but the 18-40 year old white working class? Absolutely they can be brought into the fold.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2017, 06:21:44 PM »

One thing to note is that Collage educated and non Collage educated whites

*raises eyebrow*

Every room I have ever been educated in has this on the ceiling, floor, and walls:

#WeAreCollageEducated
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies