Trump: exercise is bad, people are like batteries
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 16, 2024, 07:28:16 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Trump: exercise is bad, people are like batteries
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Trump: exercise is bad, people are like batteries  (Read 2714 times)
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: May 16, 2017, 04:08:48 PM »

And those lines would have carried a different meaning for people who were not sedentary by default. Even most able-bodied white collar and upper class people of the time would have walked miles as a matter of routine.

Yes, exactly.
IceAgeComing
United Kingdom

« Reply #26 on: May 16, 2017, 05:42:04 PM »

I mean I play Cricket and go to the gym often (part of this is trying to avoid the boredom that being unemployed causes: although when I was in Brussels I was still going to the gym three days a week after work, although there was a gym 30 seconds from my flat) so I might be a little biased, but we certainly should be encouraging exercise - not only is it good for you both short and long term (not just physically as well), but it can also have a social element that can be beneficial as well - from a team sports perspective that's obvious, but you have the same with other sports as well.  From a selfish perspective it probably would also reduce the amount that we'd spend on some health costs, as well...

That's why I do the elliptical. Not as good of a workout, but I don't have to worry about injuries or long term damage. Also don't have to worry about whether it's raining or if there is snow on the ground or if it's 95 degrees out. And treadmills are too loud.

The best gym regimen involves using a variety of different things, not just one bit of kit.  Probably ought to include some weight stuff as well, actually...  Its also not true that cross trainers can't cause injuries or damage to your body; they can damage your knees quite a bit if you use it too much - that's why I avoid the things, for some reason the movement never feels natural and that can't be right.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #27 on: May 16, 2017, 05:50:35 PM »
« Edited: May 16, 2017, 06:09:31 PM by modern maverick »

I've lost about ten pounds since I started walking more of my commute a few months ago. You don't have to run marathons to stay healthy, but, for able-bodied people, there's really no excuse for being completely sedentary either.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #28 on: May 16, 2017, 07:18:02 PM »

but in fairness, the modern obsession with celebrating "fitness" is awful and there's nothing wrong if someone doesn't want to exercise.

It means a shorter time on Earth with a reduced quality of life whilst there, so, actually...

Exercising reduces your quality of life if you don't like doing it.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #29 on: May 16, 2017, 11:02:14 PM »

Medicine reduces your quality of life if you don't like taking it.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #30 on: May 16, 2017, 11:32:04 PM »

but in fairness, the modern obsession with celebrating "fitness" is awful and there's nothing wrong if someone doesn't want to exercise.

It means a shorter time on Earth with a reduced quality of life whilst there, so, actually...

Again, you don't have to "exercise" in the sense of Hitting The Gym or running marathons or whatever, but you should at least be going for a brisk walk each day; it's the sort of thing that breeds other healthy habits, too. I'm not trying to lecture you, since I only just recently committed to it myself, but it's improved my life bigly already.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #31 on: May 17, 2017, 12:10:34 AM »

Again, you don't have to "exercise" in the sense of Hitting The Gym or running marathons or whatever, but you should at least be going for a brisk walk each day; it's the sort of thing that breeds other healthy habits, too.

No disagreement here, but I'm pretty sure that's not what the ~healthy lifestyle~ zealots have in mind when they talk about exercising.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #32 on: May 17, 2017, 05:50:17 AM »

Book learnin' reduces your quality of life if you don't like doin' it.
RFayette 🇻🇦
RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #33 on: May 17, 2017, 12:26:23 PM »

That's moronic and I hope that even T***p's most passionate groupies know better than to trust him for life advice, but in fairness, the modern obsession with celebrating "fitness" is awful and there's nothing wrong if someone doesn't want to exercise.

Well, if someone doesn't exercise, they statistically will have a lower life expectancy and a higher risk of metabolic disorders.  I suppose there's "nothing wrong" with that insofar as people are free to make the choices, but I tend to think that celebrating fitness (and consequently, better health outcomes) is a good thing.
RFayette 🇻🇦
RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #34 on: May 17, 2017, 12:27:39 PM »
« Edited: May 17, 2017, 12:33:45 PM by Fremont Assemblyman RFayette »

I don't like to run when I'm doing it oftentimes, but it feels great after I'm done with the workout.  Unless the exercise physically hurts you, it strikes me as a pretty unambiguously good thing.

Again, you don't have to "exercise" in the sense of Hitting The Gym or running marathons or whatever, but you should at least be going for a brisk walk each day; it's the sort of thing that breeds other healthy habits, too.

No disagreement here, but I'm pretty sure that's not what the ~healthy lifestyle~ zealots have in mind when they talk about exercising.

Who are you talking about?  While the more vigorous the physical activity, the better, I don't think anyone is seriously saying that only the most vigorous physical activity is worthwhile and truly counts as exercise.  Nonetheless, as an avid runner/swimmer, I prefer vigorous activity because I can get done more quickly and feel a whole lot accomplished post-workout than if I just went for a walk or something.

I think you should train for a 5K.  It'd do you some good. Smiley
Doimper
Doctor Imperialism

« Reply #35 on: May 17, 2017, 12:32:12 PM »

I think you have a very warped perception of people that, you know, bother to take care of themselves
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #36 on: May 17, 2017, 02:42:26 PM »

I think you have a very warped perception of people that, you know, bother to take care of themselves

They can do whatever the f**k they want with themselves, I don't give a sh*t. I just wish they didn't feel the need to berate those of us who happen not to enjoy going on a jogging or to the gym every day. I'm pretty sure that that's not an absolute prerequisite to keeping yourself in decent health. Some physical activity is, of course, but that kind of physical activity easily falls under "normal life activities of someone who enjoys being outdoors with some frequency" and thinking of it as "exercise" is kind of creepy.
elcorazon

« Reply #37 on: May 17, 2017, 03:45:12 PM »

His commendable refrain from using alcohol and his weird obsession drinking a hundred diet cokes is why he can work 16+ hours a day, not because he doesn't exercise. 
lol at Trump working 16 hours a day!  Lol at that! He has the attention span of a gerbil. He can enjoy a good round of golf though.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #38 on: May 19, 2017, 02:04:55 PM »

I'm not suggesting by 'exercise' GET DOWN ON THE FLOOR AND GIVE ME FIFTY MAGGOT, grim forced runs and cold showers and so on. That kind of approach is actually entirely counterproductive. Broadly speaking people should be encouraged to do the sorts of physical activity that are better suited to them and which they enjoy (the two things are habitually closely related of course). But, bluntly, the fitter you are the better placed you are to deal with the sh!t that life throws at you; you'll have a better immune system, a better chance of surviving-and-recovering-well-from medical emergencies, and when you're older you'll be able to remain fully functioning and independent for much longer. Sloth is not a virtue and the basically sedentary nature of many industrialised societies is alarming. Donald Trump is a good example of this; the man can barely walk up a short flight of stairs without running out of puff. And he has actually been more physically active - he does at least play a bit of golf - than many...
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies