Congressman Ro Khanna (CA-17) becomes a Justice Democrat !
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 08:52:17 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Congressman Ro Khanna (CA-17) becomes a Justice Democrat !
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Congressman Ro Khanna (CA-17) becomes a Justice Democrat !  (Read 1947 times)
Shadows
YaBB God
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 10, 2017, 10:17:38 PM »

Video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xSv_IZcj58

Ro Khanna who beat an incumbent asks for more debate, competition & clash of ideas between incumbents & primary challengers. He lost in 2014 to incumbent Democrat & then beat that same Democrat by more than 20% in 2016 & says the 96/97% incumbency rate needs to change. He says he will welcome challengers to his seat & is ready to share & debate ideas. "If the incumbents are good, then they will win." "If you have confidence in your record, you should not be afraid of competition & be risk averse"

He is one of the 6 with Beto O'Rourke to not take any PAC money. He said he will not support every Justice Democrat over incumbents but philosophically wants change, new voices, more energetic primaries & for progressive values !
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2017, 10:19:51 PM »

OK, he's a rare politician who turns out to be better than I thought.
Illiniwek
Junior Chimp
Vatican City State

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2017, 10:22:52 PM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFr74zI1LBM
Shadows
YaBB God
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2017, 10:24:00 PM »

Bio

Ro Khanna was born in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, in 1976. Khanna received his B.A. degree in economics with honors from the University of Chicago in 1998. He attended Yale Law School, receiving his law degree in 2001. He specializes in intellectual property law. As a student at the University of Chicago, Khanna worked for William D. Burns walking precincts during Barack Obama's first campaign for the Illinois Senate in 1996.

President Barack Obama appointed Khanna to a role in the United States Department of Commerce in 2009. His pro bono legal activity includes work with the Mississippi Center for Justice on several contractor fraud cases on behalf of Hurricane Katrina victims and co-authoring an amicus brief to the United States Supreme Court in the Mt. Holly case to allow for race discrimination suits under the Fair Housing Act of 1968. Khanna teaches economics at Stanford University and law at the Santa Clara University School of Law, and has taught American Jurisprudence at San Francisco State University. Jerry Brown, the Governor of California, appointed Khanna to the California Workforce Investment Board in 2012.

Khanna ran one of the nation's first anti-Iraq war campaigns for the United States House of Representatives in the 2004 elections, unsuccessfully challenging Tom Lantos in the Democratic primary in California's 12th congressional district.
Yank2133
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2017, 10:27:21 PM »

https://www.opensecrets.org/news/2016/06/wall-streets-fab-five-the-house-candidates-most-dependent-on-the-finance-industry/

Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2017, 10:28:08 PM »

Okay, but did Khanna actually stop sucking or has he just sold himself to someone new now?
Ronnie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2017, 10:31:36 PM »

I'm not huge on TYT, but I really like the concept of Justice Democrats (and would like it a lot more if it didn't remind me of West Virginia's governor every single time I hear it!).  I think it's time to put up a fight against the teat-suckers and seat-warmers among the Democrats in Washington, and build a party that has a coherent and consistent left-wing message.
Shadows
YaBB God
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2017, 10:35:32 PM »

Pretty meaningless article because he is one of the 6 Congressman including Beto O'Rourke who doesn't take any PAC money ! He ran his campaign on Single Payer & was a staunch opponent of the Iraq War !
Yank2133
Junior Chimp

« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2017, 10:36:26 PM »

Pretty meaningless article because he is one of the 6 Congressman including Beto O'Rourke who doesn't take any PAC money ! He ran his campaign on Single Payer & was a staunch opponent of the Iraq War !

Yeah, keep moving the goalpost.
JerryArkansas
jerryarkansas
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2017, 10:38:56 PM »

So now this movement is even more of a joke than it already was.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2017, 10:40:01 PM »

Still very hesitant of Ro Khanna's sudden transformation.

Also DSA > Justice Democrats.
Illiniwek
Junior Chimp
Vatican City State

« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2017, 10:40:55 PM »

So now this movement is even more of a joke than it already was.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2017, 10:55:52 PM »

Okay, but did Khanna actually stop sucking or has he just sold himself to someone new now?

You do realize that taking money from individuals who are employed by investment banks is not the same thing as taking money from PACs, right?
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2017, 11:01:26 PM »

I took note of Khanna's lowkey progression from poster-boy for the Third Way as candidate to Sandernista in Congress a while ago when I saw that he was elected Vice Chair of the CPC. I gotta hand it to him: he truly is a gifted politico. Honestly, all it would take is one "Bernie would've won"-type comment for him to go viral and become the new darling of the left.

Better than Gabbard all things considered.
Shadows
YaBB God
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2017, 11:07:16 PM »
« Edited: May 10, 2017, 11:10:19 PM by Shadows »

It's kinda funny that all of these people crying & bit*hing are the same one's who peddle the Bernie-bro narrative. Khanna campaigned for Obama 20 years ago & in 2004 ran a staunchly anti-war campaign. He defeated an 8 time incumbent by openly campaigning of Single Payer. As a lawyer, he has fought for fair housing, against racial discrimination or for the victims of Hurricane Katrina!

“The structural changes of globalization and automation that has created concentrated wealth among some people who have had the right skills and the right opportunities has also created extraordinary disruption and havoc among the American middle-class,” Khanna’s plan is to dramatically enlarge payments under the EITC, in what would essentially become a basic income almost large enough to live on alone. “Expanding the EITC can get us close to a universal basic minimum income,” says Khanna. “Ideally, we should shoot for every household making an income of $30k who works 40 hours. Every household [with] kids making $35k.”

"Our country’s going through a profound transition from an industrial age to a digital age," Khanna told Recode. "The gains of that transition have gone to a few — people who are creative, brilliant, at the right place at the right time. But there are a lot of folks who have been left out in that transition." Khanna also demanded that Silicon Valley companies not forget to take care of their own employees. He specifically addressed Uber and called for the ride-hailing giant to treat its workers as true employees, not just independent contractors.

"Most of the folks I’ve met are brilliant, hardworking, innovative — they’re doing great things and I think they're well-intentioned," Khanna told Recode. "But they’re creating so much wealth and success. (They should) be mindful and cognizant that everybody is succeeding from it. If you have to pay people a little bit more, if you have to bend over backwards and treat people as employees, if you have to say to contractors, 'Let’s make sure people are getting a decent wage,' let’s do that. We have the wealth.”

Ro Khanna's platform for 2014 primary - (Way before any Bernie's campaign)

Education: "I owe my success today to the fact that I was able to attend fantastic schools – both public and private. But I’m still paying off my student debt, and I know firsthand that affordable higher education is essential to giving hardworking students the opportunity at a fulfilling career with economic security."

At this point, this is about electing corrupt political hacks of Hillary who will be dumb stooges & everything else will be strongly opposed !
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2017, 11:09:04 PM »

You do realize that taking money from individuals who are employed by investment banks is not the same thing as taking money from PACs, right?

It's not investment banks Khanna's a shill for.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2017, 11:10:33 PM »

FACT 1:
Ro Khanna is extremely ambitious.

FACT 2:
Ro Khanna posses common sense.

QED this thread.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2017, 01:50:06 AM »

Isn't he the rich guy who basically challenged incumbents until he won? I thought he was more of a business Dem.
Shadows
YaBB God
« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2017, 02:25:21 AM »
« Edited: May 11, 2017, 02:33:52 AM by Shadows »

Isn't he the rich guy who basically challenged incumbents until he won? I thought he was more of a business Dem.

I don't know if he is rich in the way many Congressmen are, certainly not a big business type of rich but he is decently well off. He has very good relations with Silicon Valley with focus on tech based manufacturing jobs, but has also articulated for a more even distribution of wealth & some progressive policies (including Uber to recognize drivers as employees & give benefits), campaigned on Single Payer explicitly in his 2016 win! He has been arguing for more measures to combat Climate Change & for affordable college for quite a while now. He has been a long time, staunch opponent of the Iraq war, involved with numerous Obama campaigns !

FDR was very rich & was the most pro-poor President in US history ! Khanna argued for a massive expansion of tax credits for low income households (1 T$) which will essentially create a basic income of sorts, something which even Bernie didn't (very "big government policy"), not a repeatedly borrowed & common policy ! This is not to say he is anywhere near as progressive as Bernie, he needs to prove that over a decade or 2 atleast !
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2017, 10:22:34 AM »

ProgressiveCanadian
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2017, 02:28:37 PM »

HAHA love people defending taking Coporate cash.
nicholas.slaydon
Ukraine

« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2017, 03:42:11 PM »

MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -8.78

« Reply #22 on: May 11, 2017, 05:26:23 PM »

Khanna is very good at purporting himself to be much more progressive than he actually is.
You...you do know who Ro Khanna is, right?
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #23 on: May 11, 2017, 06:04:55 PM »

Hah, this is just a case of a guy who spent years primarying incumbent Democrats until he was finally successful trying to prevent any proteges from doing the same to him.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #24 on: May 13, 2017, 04:41:09 PM »

He joined an organization founded by a genocide denier who is associated with Michael Tracey. F[inks] the "Justice Democrats". There are far better and more pure progressive organizations.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies