MI Governor 2018
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 23, 2024, 01:12:24 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  MI Governor 2018
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10
Poll
Question: MI Governor 2018
Gretchen Whitmer

other Democrat

a Republican

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 181

Author Topic: MI Governor 2018  (Read 19668 times)
Bojack Horseman
Wolverine22
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #175 on: July 09, 2018, 07:12:09 PM »

Republicans are running only the best candidates this year

Does anyone else in the primary have any chance of beating him?

Incumbent LG Brian Calley is a distant second even though the PACs are bombarding the airwaves supporting him and have been for some time. Schuette’s ads started today. Schuette has the same advantage Whitmer does on the D side: the far right (or far left in Whitmer’s case) is fairly evenly divided between two other candidates. Both parties’ primaries will probably have the same percentage results as the Illinois D governor primary did.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #176 on: July 15, 2018, 12:19:09 AM »

Just what Republicans need -- in an apparent swing state, their potential nominee for Governor has a potential scandal of conflict of interest. This can hurt Republicans right down the ticket.
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.48

« Reply #177 on: July 15, 2018, 03:49:47 AM »

Only the best people!
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #178 on: July 15, 2018, 06:22:52 PM »

Only the best people!

They have become so shameless that they probably do in fact believe this.
Bojack Horseman
Wolverine22
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #179 on: July 20, 2018, 11:29:45 AM »

Last night WDIV in Detroit the second Democratic debate. Sparks flew as it turned into a heated, pugnacious affair. Shri Thanedar looked completely lost, while El-Sayed and Whitmer duked it out. I still think Whitmer won the debate overall, but it was a heavyweight bout.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Aa7fLTyxgm0
LimoLiberal
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.71, S: -4.00

« Reply #180 on: July 20, 2018, 12:31:02 PM »

I don't think Abdul El-Sayed will win the primary, but his social media support is Bernie-esque. Relentless attacks on Whitmer for being a corporate shill, liar, neoliberal centrist, controlled by PACs and corporations, unlikable. If Thanedar weren't in the race I would say that this is the closest analogy to Bernie v. Hillary we have this cycle. And we all know what happened in the Michigan primary that year...
Bojack Horseman
Wolverine22
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #181 on: July 20, 2018, 01:52:49 PM »

I don't think Abdul El-Sayed will win the primary, but his social media support is Bernie-esque. Relentless attacks on Whitmer for being a corporate shill, liar, neoliberal centrist, controlled by PACs and corporations, unlikable. If Thanedar weren't in the race I would say that this is the closest analogy to Bernie v. Hillary we have this cycle. And we all know what happened in the Michigan primary that year...

That’s true, but I still think the 2016 primary was a special case. We had a similar primary for governor in 2002: the left was divided between Congressman David Bonior and former Governor Jim Blanchard. That split left vote allowed the hated establishment shill Jennifer Granholm to win the plurality.
junior chįmp
Mondale_was_an_insidejob
Junior Chimp
Croatia
« Reply #182 on: July 20, 2018, 07:44:46 PM »

I remember when some clowns on Atlas were treating this as a Leans R race last year. I was mocked when pointing out that the fundamentals of an unpopular Trump and unpopular Snyder makes someone like Whitmer a heavy favorite

Forgive them child, for they do not know what they do.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #183 on: July 20, 2018, 07:51:08 PM »

That’s true, but I still think the 2016 primary was a special case. We had a similar primary for governor in 2002: the left was divided between Congressman David Bonior and former Governor Jim Blanchard. That split left vote allowed the hated establishment shill Jennifer Granholm to win the plurality.

Was Blanchard really that much more liberal than Granholm?
Bojack Horseman
Wolverine22
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #184 on: July 20, 2018, 10:28:18 PM »

Was Blanchard really that much more liberal than Granholm?

I think part of it had to do with the fact that he was cheated out of a third term in 1990 by a spiteful Coleman Young who refused to turn out the Detroit Democratic machine combined with name recognition and brand loyalty. Unions supported Bonior despite being pro-life because of his history in Congress.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #185 on: July 21, 2018, 12:12:14 AM »

What about Maryland then? Hillary won that one huge...but in the end, despite the polls, Ben Jealous was the one that curbstomped, not Baker.

Clearly then, El-Sayed might well actually make it through on similar momentum.
Chief Justice Keef
etr906
United States

« Reply #186 on: July 26, 2018, 02:30:48 PM »

Sanders endorses Abdul El Sayed.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/bernie-sanders-endorses-abdul-el-sayed-michigan-governor_us_5b58f52ee4b0de86f4930c09
Canis
canis
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -5.03, S: -6.26

P P P

« Reply #187 on: July 26, 2018, 02:32:32 PM »

Whitmer should pick El Sayed as her LG and if El sayed wins he should pick Whitmer as his LG
Zaybay
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.25, S: -6.50

« Reply #188 on: July 26, 2018, 03:58:44 PM »

interesting, considering that he has not been leading in polling. Perhaps he thinks that will boost Abdul? Or Sanders has been shown polling that says the undecideds are likely to break in his favor? I dont know.

Whitmer should pick El Sayed as her LG and if El sayed wins he should pick Whitmer as his LG
Wisconsin SC Race 2019
hofoid

« Reply #189 on: July 26, 2018, 06:08:12 PM »

Sanders is making a huge mistake, and a critical one too considering redistricting is on the line. Michiganders, do everything in your power to support Whitmer. Call, canvass, whatever it takes. You need a seat in the negotiating table or risk being gerrymandered to oblivion.
libertpaulian
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #190 on: July 26, 2018, 06:18:35 PM »

Sanders is making a huge mistake, and a critical one too considering redistricting is on the line. Michiganders, do everything in your power to support Whitmer. Call, canvass, whatever it takes. You need a seat in the negotiating table or risk being gerrymandered to oblivion.
Looks like you think Donnelly has a shot at a second term after all?
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -8.78

« Reply #191 on: July 26, 2018, 06:58:36 PM »

El-Sayed our with an amazing ad:

#gravelgang #lessiglad
Serious_Username
United States

« Reply #192 on: July 26, 2018, 07:13:42 PM »

This is great. Wish I still lived in Michigan.
Galaxie

« Reply #193 on: July 26, 2018, 07:16:27 PM »

Purple heart Purple heart Purple heart
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix

« Reply #194 on: July 26, 2018, 07:38:48 PM »

He has a very Obamaesque cadence to his voice.
Zaybay
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.25, S: -6.50

« Reply #195 on: July 26, 2018, 07:42:39 PM »

Based on the recent polling, which is the best quality we have so far on this race, the only way for Abdul to win is for Thaendar to bleed support, and for Abdul to wipe up undecideds. The Sanders endorsement might have been due to this, now that I think about it. He has a low chance, 1/3 in my opinion, but he can still do it.
ON Progressive
OntarioProgressive
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -8.70

« Reply #196 on: July 26, 2018, 09:49:56 PM »

I'm a huge Sanders fan, but I think Whitmer is better than El-Sayed (I like both though).

At least this should make sure Thaendar is last, as he deserves to be.
wesmoorenerd
westroopnerd
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -7.13

« Reply #197 on: July 26, 2018, 10:35:47 PM »

Whitmer and El-Sayed are both A-tier candidates (Thanedar is one of the worst candidates of the cycle, but that's neither here nor there.)

Barring a major shift, Whitmer's winning the nomination, though. I really hope she at least considers picking El-Sayed as a running mate though.
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix

« Reply #198 on: July 27, 2018, 09:23:49 AM »

Abdul definitely shouldn’t go away after this. He should run for Congress or challenge Peters or something.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #199 on: July 27, 2018, 09:25:21 AM »

Abdul definitely shouldn’t go away after this. He should run for Congress or challenge Peters or something.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies