More powerful military?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:16:55 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  More powerful military?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Syria vs. North Korea
Syria

North Korea

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 43

Author Topic: More powerful military?  (Read 836 times)
JasonDebenah89
Rookie
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 29, 2017, 06:53:18 AM »

Between North Korea and Syria, who do you think has the more powerful military?
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2017, 01:49:41 PM »

No contest.
Cory
YaBB God

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2017, 07:42:08 PM »

Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2017, 07:44:36 PM »

North Korea has the fifth biggest military in the world.
Clyde1998
United Kingdom

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2017, 11:49:42 PM »

North Korea through sheer weight of numbers. Syria's military may be more advanced, due to the ongoing conflict and support from Russia, however.
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2017, 05:19:53 AM »

Syria has been fighting a civil war for the last five years - there's been a lot of equipment lost since then.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2017, 06:31:34 AM »

Arabs can't fight wars, Koreans can.  The Norks have more equipment and haven't had their sh**t pushed in for the last 5 years.  On the other hand, the Norks Army is, I suspect, a lot like Iraq's around 1990, huge and great on paper.....and turning to a rolling ball of burning paper after the US military shows up.  Also, the Norks ain't fought any battles in forever, and Syria has plenty of battle hardened dudes.  There is a lot of value there.

That doesn't add up to a Syria win (because Arabs can't win wars), but I don't think it's as obvious as you guys are making it.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2017, 08:33:48 AM »

Arabs can't fight wars, Koreans can.  The Norks have more equipment and haven't had their sh**t pushed in for the last 5 years.  On the other hand, the Norks Army is, I suspect, a lot like Iraq's around 1990, huge and great on paper.....and turning to a rolling ball of burning paper after the US military shows up.  Also, the Norks ain't fought any battles in forever, and Syria has plenty of battle hardened dudes.  There is a lot of value there.

That doesn't add up to a Syria win (because Arabs can't win wars), but I don't think it's as obvious as you guys are making it.
Only one has control of its own country.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2017, 08:55:53 PM »

Neither does. The Democratic People's Republic of Korea actually controls the worse half. At least Assad's part is more developed.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2017, 04:23:55 PM »

Neither does. The Democratic People's Republic of Korea actually controls the worse half. At least Assad's part is more developed.

Not really a fair comparison, though. In Syria, the rebel portions are actively resisting the government, with the help of some weapons from a much larger country. With North Korea, they lack the South because of an armistice that was achieved through the force of arms of that much larger country.
White Trash
Southern Gothic
YaBB God

« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2017, 06:36:23 PM »

I've heard this before. Why is that the case?
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2017, 08:40:27 AM »

Officers are often friends and family of important people/very little meritocracy.  They treat the enlisted men like sh**t.  They don't have NCOs/career enlisted with any pull.  They don't believe in maintenance and training.  They are often using Russian gear against American/western gear.  They don't communicate when the sh**t hits the fan (or even when it's not hitting the fan).  Low level officers have little independent control over their men, never take initiative.

So you're in charge of random Arab country and go to war with your non-Arab neighbors.  You send out your top tank division to the front to knock down your weaker neighbor.  You've got 1000 tanks, never used once, straight from Moscow, your neighbor only has 250, this is going to be easy.  So the Lt.Col (son-in-law to Secretary of Time Wasting) in charge of the 1st Platoon makes contact with the enemy and starts taking losses because his undertrained crew don't know how to reset the electronics on the range finder, they've got a grand total of 20 minutes seat time before today.  Well and that afternoon in the simulator.  He calls for air cover, but to do that he has to ask the guy above him, who has to ask the guy above him, who has to ask the guy in charge of Air Force, but he doesn't because he doesn't like the guy's family.  So no with no air cover they continue to take losses and fall back.  Wash, rinse, repeat.

There are lots of places to read about it, just Google.  The original article.  Part of the conclusion:
You must be logged in to read this quote.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies