Poll: Grade trump on his first 100 days in office
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 07:46:16 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Poll: Grade trump on his first 100 days in office
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Poll
Question: Grade trump on his first 100 days in office
A+
A
A-
B+
B
B-
C+
C
C-
D+
D
D-
F
Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Author Topic: Poll: Grade trump on his first 100 days in office  (Read 2939 times)
Bismarck
Chancellor

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: April 28, 2017, 08:32:28 AM »

B-. Has not really done anything. I'm not sure how you could give him an F, he hasn't done anything that has changed the country much at all. An F would be like Iraq war or Japanese internment levels. Nothing has changed drastically since Obama. If you think Trump is an F the best you could give Obama is a D. What has he done that's so bad? I'm not a Trump fan and probably won't vote for him In  2020 but he hasn't caused any crisis.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #26 on: April 28, 2017, 08:48:13 AM »

B-. Has not really done anything. I'm not sure how you could give him an F, he hasn't done anything that has changed the country much at all. An F would be like Iraq war or Japanese internment levels. Nothing has changed drastically since Obama. If you think Trump is an F the best you could give Obama is a D. What has he done that's so bad? I'm not a Trump fan and probably won't vote for him In  2020 but he hasn't caused any crisis.

Not doing anything bad (and even this is debatable in Trump's case) is not enough. The president is supposed to do good.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #27 on: April 28, 2017, 08:50:20 AM »

D-

Only because he hasn't managed to make the Earth fall into the Sun.
Bismarck
Chancellor

« Reply #28 on: April 28, 2017, 08:53:34 AM »

Not doing anything bad (and even this is debatable in Trump's case) is not enough. The president is supposed to do good.

Yes I don't disagree but if not doing good is an F then what would doing bad be?
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #29 on: April 28, 2017, 09:08:44 AM »

He spent nearly a third of it on vacation at his own properties, which in itself sets off a lot of ethical violations, especially since he is still making money off of these properties. Marred in scandal, his NSA had to resign, attorney general had to recuse himself, and the House Intel chair had to recuse himself, all due to similar reasonings. Got literally nothing accomplished. The things he did were either struck down in court or not really on him (Gorsuch was more McConnell's doing). Crappy foreign relations. Constant mixed messaging. No popular initiatives or proposals. No legislative accomplishments. Blames Democrats for failures of the Republican congressional majorities.

It's a D-.

That's not a D-...

What is up with this forum and giving politicians generous grades? I imagine that if Hitler was President the forum would "grade him on a curve" and give him a collective D. "Disagree with him but very effective at murdering Jews, also, he likes dogs Smiley"

He hasn't crashed the economy yet so it's not a total F. But I fear that's on its way.
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -7.30

P P P
« Reply #30 on: April 28, 2017, 09:30:05 AM »

If an employee of mine spent as much time on vacation as he has so far, they'd have been canned.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #31 on: April 28, 2017, 09:59:18 AM »

He spent nearly a third of it on vacation at his own properties, which in itself sets off a lot of ethical violations, especially since he is still making money off of these properties. Marred in scandal, his NSA had to resign, attorney general had to recuse himself, and the House Intel chair had to recuse himself, all due to similar reasonings. Got literally nothing accomplished. The things he did were either struck down in court or not really on him (Gorsuch was more McConnell's doing). Crappy foreign relations. Constant mixed messaging. No popular initiatives or proposals. No legislative accomplishments. Blames Democrats for failures of the Republican congressional majorities.

It's a D-.

That's not a D-...

What is up with this forum and giving politicians generous grades? I imagine that if Hitler was President the forum would "grade him on a curve" and give him a collective D. "Disagree with him but very effective at murdering Jews, also, he likes dogs Smiley"

The definitive F is being overthrown in a coup or being defeated in a war that one chose to start.  The near-F, the D-, is for being at risk of such.

I see him as a failure, and not only because I dislike him.  After some reflection I can recognize that Ronald Reagan did something right in cutting back the expectations of millions -- compelling people to accept that they really needed to endure poverty doing what people rally want (selling housewares in a store or flipping hamburgers even if they had college degrees) -- so that we could be free of the 'inflation' in stagflation. At least the fast food was good, and retail service was better than we usually get in good times.

So here's how I rate the Presidents that anyone now living can remember:

FDR A- (qualification: the incarceration of Japanese-Americans).
Truman B+ -- had to deal with the post-war flux
Eisenhower B+ -- quiet time, got out of the Korean war with some honor.
Kennedy A- (could have avoided the floozies)
LBJ C (nice legislation, bad war in Vietnam
Nixon F -- for cheating on the exam (Watergate and related offenses)
Ford C- (didn't really have a chance)
Carter D+ (1980 election says it all)
Reagan C -- see above
GHWB C+ (give credit for the end of the Cold War, but ran out of ideas too early)
Clinton B (Ike with some bad sexual behavior)
Dubya D+ (financial bubble, bungled wars)
Obama B+...stopped a possible replay of the Great Depression, just couldn't protect his Party... and would be A- except for his successor
Trump D (see my reasoning above)   
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #32 on: April 28, 2017, 10:17:29 AM »

Just alone from trying to turn the EPA into the EDA, where D stands for Destruction, he gets an F. Not even close.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #33 on: April 28, 2017, 10:20:50 AM »

Number of times recent presidents went to play golf within their first 100 days in office:

Trump - 19
Obama - 0
Bush 43 - 0
Clinton - 3

Source: https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2017/04/10/us/politics/trump-golf-course-getaways.html?_r=0

Number of key government appointments recent presidents managed to get confirmed within their first 100 days in office:

Trump - 27
Obama - 69
Bush 43 - 35
Clinton - 49
Bush 41 - 50

Source: http://ourpublicservice.org/issues/presidential-transition/political-appointee-tracker.php
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #34 on: April 28, 2017, 12:43:15 PM »

D- only because of a few foreign policy decisions that had some merit
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #35 on: April 28, 2017, 12:46:50 PM »

An interesting article on the matter:

The Washington Post.
"We set a low bar for Trump. He still failed to meet it."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/we-set-a-low-bar-for-trump-he-still-failed-to-meet-it/2017/04/27/049c6458-2b70-11e7-be51-b3fc6ff7faee_story.html?utm_term=.57dac76df28a
Technocracy Timmy
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #36 on: April 28, 2017, 12:52:09 PM »

A- because he has mostly given up that populist charade to be a regular Republican, but we still need to get more done, like actually repealing Obamacare.

Nobody has voted for A- so did you actually give him an A+?
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #37 on: April 28, 2017, 12:55:31 PM »

A- because he has mostly given up that populist charade to be a regular Republican, but we still need to get more done, like actually repealing Obamacare.

Nobody has voted for A- so did you actually give him an A+?

LOL.
You are right, there are no votes for A- (not yet at least).
ExtremeRepublican ..... just admit you are the one that gave trump an A+
pikachu
United States

« Reply #38 on: April 28, 2017, 01:02:44 PM »

Tbh, a little less awful than I expected him to be, but mainly because he was much more incompetent than I expected, so still an F.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #39 on: April 28, 2017, 01:41:18 PM »

D-. He's done basically nothing that I approve of (with the exception of killing the TPP), but I know that things could still get a lot worse, so I'm giving him room to fall, in that event.
Technocracy Timmy
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #40 on: April 28, 2017, 02:00:42 PM »

Atlas (or at least this thread) definitely skews left compared to the general public.
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #41 on: April 28, 2017, 02:02:08 PM »

That's fantastic
Frozen Sky Ever Why
ShadowOfTheWave
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #42 on: April 28, 2017, 02:06:08 PM »

F. Pathetically incompetent, and the worst part is he doesn't even care. That's what happens when you put a demented sociopath in charge, I guess.
The_Doctor
SilentCal1924

« Reply #43 on: April 28, 2017, 02:15:26 PM »

So, let me tee up a response. I gave him a C-/D+. He's done worse than I anticipated, honestly.

The first and most clear failure of the Trump Administration to maintain a strong coalition of support within Congress and the public. Every administration is tasked to do this as their first priority. Between the 40-42% approval ratings and routine disunity in Congress (see the AHCA) it's clear the administration has failed here.

The failure of the AHCA is a black mark on Trump's record. It definitely is gonna hurt his agenda and makes him look weak. Congress doesn't fear him now and won't back him on unpopular agenda items. They know the score and that will be consistent throughout his presidency. No way to spin it, it'll hurt.

The judiciary also has no problem resisting him. He's been hit by judges for the travel ban, the sanctuary city executive order, and so on. These judges obviously see a weak president who is unable to really fight back. Expect the judiciary to continually rein him in including the center right Supreme Court.

The Russian investigation continues to haunt him with revelations about Mike Flynn, Carter Page, and Paul Manafort. The Flynn thing was a serious self inflicted blow. The FBI confirming that they are investigating Trump's campaign in connection with Russia will be an enduring issue that will haunt his presidency.

He's embraced the traditional neoliberal dogma which probably hurts his base in the long run and where he needed to talk about innovative ideas instead of the same old ideas he has lapsed into conventional ideas. He should've embraced net neutrality, for example, and held a harder line on repealing and replacing Dodd-Frank.

His biggest failure is as a communicator. The administration routinely fails to communicate a narrative to the country about the intended destination and how we're getting there. “Making America Great Again” is a vague platitude and Trump doesn't bother continually educating the public and winning support. He continually reinforces his opposition, making life harder for his supporters in the long run. He treats the presidency as a series of set pieces instead of a continuing narrative.

Now the stuff that raises him from an F to D+/C-.

He put a conservative on the Supreme Court. That's no small thing. He also appears to have stepped up deportations and done so without too much resistance. There has been opposition but they haven't been as successful as this largely falls within the president's executive powers.

His work with China and North Korea hasn't been too bad. He has isolated North Korea from China through diplomacy and may yet get to dismantle the nuclear program.

Overall the grade is D+/C- with little optimism his final score will be better. It is stunning how little his base expects from him and how little foresight and ambition they held for his presidency beyond beating Hillary Clinton, putting a socially conservative Justice on the Court, and restricting immigration. It's like they ignore a huge swath of issues to change up and just care about the small stuff, in comparison to Democrats who routinely want big, huge changes.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #44 on: April 28, 2017, 02:17:22 PM »

F-burger is the obvious grade. He's an unmitigated disaster.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #45 on: April 28, 2017, 02:28:42 PM »

D- pre Syria
F post Syria
Reluctant Republican

« Reply #46 on: April 28, 2017, 02:45:57 PM »

Probably a solid B from me. Aside from Syria I approve of most of what he's done or tried to do. He definitely needs to learn not to shoot from the hip so much( The news with South Korea today is a good example of this.) which I'm not optimistic he can do, but c'est la vie. I'd also tell him to drop any attempt to reform healthcare immediately, he does not have the majority for it and it only kills his ratings.
Wells
MikeWells12
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #47 on: April 28, 2017, 02:55:47 PM »

I give it an L.
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #48 on: April 28, 2017, 03:25:55 PM »

D- only because of a few foreign policy decisions that had some merit
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
evergreen
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #49 on: April 28, 2017, 03:32:51 PM »

his cabinet picks alone should give him an f, and obviously the rest of his actions don't exactly raise his grade
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies