What will Russia look like in 50 years? And what will Putin's legacy be by then?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:50:17 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  What will Russia look like in 50 years? And what will Putin's legacy be by then?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: What will Russia look like in 50 years? And what will Putin's legacy be by then?  (Read 3665 times)
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 22, 2014, 12:19:57 PM »

Where will Russia be in 50 years? Broken up? Part of the EU? A Muslim-majority republic? A failed state? An independent but shining beacon of liberty and democracy? Radioactive ash? The same as it is now?

Also, in 50 years, what will be Putin's legacy?
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2014, 12:40:09 PM »

Muslim majority?!
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2014, 05:01:21 PM »

It occurred to me last night that Putin will probably be forced out in a series of mass protests sometime in the next fifteen years.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2014, 05:06:54 PM »

Considering that it was a Communist dictatorship 50 years ago and an absolute monarchy before that, it's possible that it still be some kind of authoritarian regime in the future.

Or maybe it'll be a democracy, since other countries in "recent" history (Brazil, South Korea, Indonesia, Tunisia...) eventually managed to become a democracy too.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2014, 05:09:25 PM »

Broken-up into many states following a violent civil war with a somewhat major Chinese satellite state in Siberia.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2014, 09:42:14 PM »

Keep in mind that if you had asked this to a group of people in 1964, you would have probably not gotten accurate answers.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2014, 10:59:32 PM »

Keep in mind that if you had asked this to a group of people in 1964, you would have probably not gotten accurate answers.

Heck, if you asked people in 1984 what the Soviet Union would be like a mere ten years later, you'd have gotten very few accurate answers.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2014, 12:45:44 AM »

It's hard to predict these things, just like 30 years ago it would have been hard to predict that Mongolia would be one of the freest 4 or 5 countries in Asia today.
ingemann
YaBB God

« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2014, 05:49:18 AM »

It all depend on how his reign ends, if he dies in a year or decides to leave office, his legacy will likely be seen as overwhelming positive, and the negative effect of his policies will be blamed on his successor.

If he stay in power until the people physical throw him out, his legacy will likely be seen as negative.

At least these thing are how the common man may see it. Historians may see thing different.

The problem with imagine his legacy, are that we have to create a future timeline describing the future not only of Russia but the world, and a lot of things may change.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2014, 06:30:58 AM »
« Edited: March 23, 2014, 06:48:53 AM by Strategos Autokrator »

Russian leaders are either fondly rembered at home and despised abroad (e.g. Stalin), or the other way around (e.g. Gorbachev).

I guess in Putin's case it will be the former.

And even if Russia happens to be a fully fledged democracy in 50 years, Russian "conservatives" may still admire Putin then... just like many Spanish conservatives still have a thing for Franco till today. Tongue
Joshgreen
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2014, 04:16:55 PM »

Hopefully a pile of rubble.
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2017, 03:17:13 PM »

Any new thoughts on Putin's legacy and Russia's future?

Is there any hope of it changing direction in the next 50 years?
kelestian
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -2.39, S: 1.48

« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2017, 03:55:38 PM »

We can't predict what kind of state Russia will be in 50 years. I wish it will be something like South Korea now, and Putin can be viewed as Park Chung-hee)

About Putin's legacy, if nothing extraordinary terrible happens until 2024 (when it seems Putin is retiring), he will be viewed very positive (Make Russia Great again after chaos of 90s, repaired economy, developed Russian army, conquered Crimea and Donbass etc.)
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2017, 03:21:11 AM »

Russian leaders are either fondly rembered at home and despised abroad (e.g. Stalin), or the other way around (e.g. Gorbachev).

And even if Russia happens to be a fully fledged democracy in 50 years, Russian "conservatives" may still admire Putin then... just like many Spanish conservatives still have a thing for Franco till today. Tongue

Stalin is liked in Russia WTH that just cant be true. He was the 2nd most evil person in human history , and most of his victims were people in the USSR itself.
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2017, 03:52:45 AM »

Stalin is liked in Russia WTH that just cant be true. He was the 2nd most evil person in human history , and most of his victims were people in the USSR itself.

It's bad, but mostly true. At least 1/3 of Russian population either likes or openly admires him. As a person "who made Soviet Union great, won the war, established order" and so on. There are virtually no survivors of GULAG now (i am old enough to speak with some of them in my childhood), and Stalin's rule has a sort of "romantic fleur" among many of Russian young, who shudder remembering "stormy 90th", but know almost nothing about Big Terror of late 30th...
ApatheticAustrian
ApathicAustrian
Junior Chimp
Austria

« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2017, 07:03:37 AM »

smoltchanov is ofc correct but this is also an outcome based on MASSIVE china-style revisionism and make-believe. sovjet nostalgia is sooooo common and normal, it makes me mad.

well, what did you expect in a country where the communists and the church kind of made a deal to blame the failings of the SU on a bunch of unknown "foreign elements" who tried to kill the russian culture or something linke that.
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2017, 09:31:38 AM »

smoltchanov is ofc correct but this is also an outcome based on MASSIVE china-style revisionism and make-believe. sovjet nostalgia is sooooo common and normal, it makes me mad.

well, what did you expect in a country where the communists and the church kind of made a deal to blame the failings of the SU on a bunch of unknown "foreign elements" who tried to kill the russian culture or something linke that.

+100. This - too, and it's a very important factor. Especially - with practically ALL mass media controlled by "them"))))
kelestian
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -2.39, S: 1.48

« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2017, 10:31:12 AM »

Well, but Brezhnev-style nostalgia, not Stalin-style. There were huge amount of films, series, documentaries on TV about cruelty of Stalin regime during last 20 years. Putin, Medvedev, Eltsin, a lot of public figures criticised totalitarian USSR (1930-1950). But it doesn't help. In my opinion, the reason was connection in mass opinion between failed USSR-Russia authorities in 1985-1999 and antistalinism.
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2017, 02:01:08 PM »

Well, but Brezhnev-style nostalgia, not Stalin-style. There were huge amount of films, series, documentaries on TV about cruelty of Stalin regime during last 20 years. Putin, Medvedev, Eltsin, a lot of public figures criticised totalitarian USSR (1930-1950). But it doesn't help. In my opinion, the reason was connection in mass opinion between failed USSR-Russia authorities in 1985-1999 and antistalinism.

That's too. "Democracy" is a "dirty" word now in Russia exactly by that reason. As well as "liberalism", used in modern Russia almost exclusively in the same vein. As for Brezhnev-style - yes, most still doesn't want to risk their asses, as routinely happened in Stalin's time. But real democracy has a long way to go in Russia. I am not sure that i will see it's fruits in my life. My son (who is 15 now) - another matter.
ApatheticAustrian
ApathicAustrian
Junior Chimp
Austria

« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2017, 02:24:18 PM »

imho putin should be afraid of the youth.

not cause the new generation is liberal or something but harder to control and more nationalist....they could wish for more and not accept the limits of the russian economy.

maybe the call for a less corrupt "real" nationalist is going to start soon.

smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2017, 02:55:07 PM »

imho putin should be afraid of the youth.

not cause the new generation is liberal or something but harder to control and more nationalist....they could wish for more and not accept the limits of the russian economy.

maybe the call for a less corrupt "real" nationalist is going to start soon.

May be. But we have one relatively successfull nationalist on political scene for more then 25 years, and he has it's limits of popularity...
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2017, 04:01:45 PM »

It's hard to predict these things, just like 30 years ago it would have been hard to predict that Mongolia would be one of the freest 4 or 5 countries in Asia today.
Alongside South Korea, Japan, and Taiwan?
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies