The Book "Shattered" - Inside stories of Hillary's campaign
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 29, 2024, 12:09:06 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  The Book "Shattered" - Inside stories of Hillary's campaign
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: The Book "Shattered" - Inside stories of Hillary's campaign  (Read 4295 times)
Deblano
EdgarAllenYOLO
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: April 21, 2017, 09:08:10 PM »

A few notes from her VP selection process.

- She wasn't too impressed with Warren, and Elizabeth Warren wasn't a popular figure around the Obama White House.

- Bill Clinton favored Tom Vilsack

- Tom Perez was unimpressive and "didn't make the cut."

- Her final shortlist was Kaine, Vilsack, Warren and Booker.

What exactly made Warren relatively unpopular in the Obama White House?
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #51 on: April 21, 2017, 09:10:40 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

I was (and am) one of her most vocal supporters and wasn't hubristic. I never thought she would win.

The Obama White House was a bit of a boys' club. Cordray's been a good leader of the CFPB, but Warren at the head would have given the new agency a lot more visibility.
Deblano
EdgarAllenYOLO
United States

« Reply #52 on: April 21, 2017, 09:27:55 PM »

I was (and am) one of her most vocal supporters and wasn't hubristic. I never thought she would win.

True. I probably shouldn't generalize so hard but I guess a lot of Clinton supporters on the web put a bitter taste in my mouth.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #53 on: April 21, 2017, 09:44:58 PM »

Holy S***

But yeah, tell me again that Hillary Clinton was not an incompetent candidate.  /s

She really was the snowflake candidate. Bernie didn't go much after he because he was worried she'd be too damaged in the general election. The convention was set up to allow no criticism of her (compare to Cruz being allowed to speak at the RNC despite not endorsing). They knew she was a weak candidate, but didn't want to end up on her enemies list to be defeated, so they all went with her anyways.

That's what really bugged me about the Clinton worship. Yes, I do agree that she would have been treated a bit differently if she were a male candidate, but the fact of the matter is that she had a lot of serious flaws, and her campaign and its vocal percentage of supporters had a hubris that made it almost insufferable to me and other voters.

When you lose a campaign, you lose. Period. You don't go "awww she was a weak candidate but she tried her hardest darnit and if it weren't for [insert scapegoat here] she would have won."

I will nitpick about the Cruz thing, I don't believe the RNC knew ahead of time that Cruz was gonna do the "vote your conscience" moment, which is what made that speech so shocking.

The DNC vetted everything ahead of time, and while he might not have known what Cruz would say, Trump knew he wasn't getting an endorsement from him at the RNC.
Babeuf

« Reply #54 on: April 21, 2017, 09:47:02 PM »

A few notes from her VP selection process.

- She wasn't too impressed with Warren, and Elizabeth Warren wasn't a popular figure around the Obama White House.

- Bill Clinton favored Tom Vilsack

- Tom Perez was unimpressive and "didn't make the cut."

- Her final shortlist was Kaine, Vilsack, Warren and Booker.

What exactly made Warren relatively unpopular in the Obama White House?
Could be the fact that she was in vocal opposition to some of his nominees on financial regulation.

See: http://www.politico.com/story/2015/07/barack-obama-elizabeth-warren-sec-wall-street-119780
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #55 on: April 21, 2017, 10:41:00 PM »

True. I probably shouldn't generalize so hard but I guess a lot of Clinton supporters on the web put a bitter taste in my mouth.

Oh, a lot of them annoyed me too. Smiley But more than supporters it was the press and media. Supporters, generally, you can expect to be positive about their candidate. The media's attitude up to the end that Clinton was the likely winner was upsetting. Even during the debate, they asked Trump if he would accept it if it if he lost, but they never asked Clinton! Their attitude didn't do Clinton any favors, I think.
Shadows
YaBB God
« Reply #56 on: April 24, 2017, 11:11:46 PM »
« Edited: April 24, 2017, 11:34:52 PM by Shadows »

In the book, the authors describe how the campaign ignored the advice of Clinton's husband, former President Bill Clinton, to reach out to communities that weren't already on board with Hillary Clinton's policies. "He thought, these eggheads don't really know politics. They don't understand persuasion," Allen said, adding that Bill Clinton wanted to go to suburban and rural areas where it was likely that Hillary Clinton wouldn't win the majority. "He knew there was some power just in showing up."

Allen said that in her 2008 presidential bid, Bill Clinton was blamed for asserting himself too much in the primary campaign's strategy and ultimately hurting her chances at the presidency and that this time around, he tried to stay behind the scenes "because he didn't want to be blamed for defeating his wife again."

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/shattered-authors-bill-clinton-pushed-tone-hillarys-campaign/story?id=46974506
Shadows
YaBB God
« Reply #57 on: April 24, 2017, 11:38:40 PM »

Clinton campaign chairman John Podesta first drew up a list of potential vice-presidential nominees, dividing it into seven categories: “Latinos, female senators, male senators, African-Americans, high-ranking military officials, business leaders, and Bernie Sanders.” Sanders was never really on the table after their brutal primary battle, but choosing Sen. Elizabeth Warren of Massachusetts had the potential to excite Sanders’ voters and other Democratic voters who still harbored lingering doubts about Clinton. So Clinton seriously considered Warren for the nomination until the last minute, but ultimately, according to Allen and Parnes, “Clinton wanted a governing partner, someone who saw the world in a similar way and could help her run the executive branch. She just didn’t know if she could trust Warren to be pragmatic and constructive.”

Then there was Obama, who saw Clinton as the heir to his legacy and resented Warren “for what he saw as demagoguing against him on economic issues and for wreaking havoc when he nominated banker Antonio Weiss as an undersecretary at the Treasury Department.” Clinton ultimately went with the man who had been Obama’s runner-up VP pick in 2008, Sen. Tim Kaine of Virginia, even though “Kaine didn’t give her a state she couldn’t win on her own, add populist progressive flavor to the ticket, or excite anyone — including the candidate herself.”

http://ew.com/books/2017/04/24/shattered-hillary-clinton-campaign-book-revelations/
Technocracy Timmy
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #58 on: April 24, 2017, 11:44:16 PM »

Then there was Obama, who saw Clinton as the heir to his legacy and resented Warren “for what he saw as demagoguing against him on economic issues and for wreaking havoc when he nominated banker Antonio Weiss as an undersecretary at the Treasury Department.” Clinton ultimately went with the man who had been Obama’s runner-up VP pick in 2008, Sen. Tim Kaine of Virginia, even though “Kaine didn’t give her a state she couldn’t win on her own, add populist progressive flavor to the ticket, or excite anyone — including the candidate herself.”

http://ew.com/books/2017/04/24/shattered-hillary-clinton-campaign-book-revelations/

Well they got demagogued from the right with Trump on these same issues so...
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #59 on: April 24, 2017, 11:47:25 PM »

In the book, the authors describe how the campaign ignored the advice of Clinton's husband, former President Bill Clinton, to reach out to communities that weren't already on board with Hillary Clinton's policies. "He thought, these eggheads don't really know politics. They don't understand persuasion," Allen said, adding that Bill Clinton wanted to go to suburban and rural areas where it was likely that Hillary Clinton wouldn't win the majority. "He knew there was some power just in showing up."

Allen said that in her 2008 presidential bid, Bill Clinton was blamed for asserting himself too much in the primary campaign's strategy and ultimately hurting her chances at the presidency and that this time around, he tried to stay behind the scenes "because he didn't want to be blamed for defeating his wife again."

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/shattered-authors-bill-clinton-pushed-tone-hillarys-campaign/story?id=46974506

The Hillary campaign didn't want the votes from those who didn't support her. They decided to win without progressives.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #60 on: April 25, 2017, 10:29:02 AM »

This really cements my firm belief that 90% (maybe even 100%) of consultants are a waste of money, and in fact worse than useless. That's Hillary's main flaw as a campaigner and politician IMO - she just surrounds herself with the worst people and makes herself dependent on them. Bill could at least escape his terrible personal judgement with a sort of raw charisma and consistent persona; perhaps he could have averted disaster had he not slipped into senility in the middle of the campaign.
Shadows
YaBB God
« Reply #61 on: April 27, 2017, 08:35:16 AM »

“When Bernie delivered a speech to his delegates in a ballroom at the nearby Philadelphia Convention Center, they booed lustily when he spoke of his rival. Mook lost his temper. He picked up his phone and dialed Weaver. ‘What the  are you doing?'” wrote Allen and Parnes in Shattered. Mook and Weaver were both afraid the convention would turn into a Clinton protest, so they had a contingency plan. “About a week before the convention, they had put together a joint command operation behind the arena’s main stage. The boiler room, a big open space filled with long tables, folding chairs, and telephones, functioned as a nerve center from which the two camps could exert control over their delegates during the four-day program.” The room, which was filled with Clinton and Sanders aides, had a text communication list to alert all staff of potential problems during the convention. A leaked email revealed that the Clinton campaign completed a “unity check” on Sanders delegates to research the likelihood of them supporting Clinton. “No more war” chants from Sanders delegates were met with an orchestrated response of “USA” chants from Clinton delegates. Sanders signs were taken from Sanders delegates and their lights were shut off if they spoke out. The Clinton campaign forbade Sanders surrogate Nina Turner from introducing Sanders at the convention.

“The flash-speed communications network would turn out to be a major factor in transforming what was a tumultuous convention inside the hall into a unified one on television. That is, it looked a lot different to folks watching at home than it did to participants inside an arena with plenty of anti-Clinton Bernie delegates,” wrote Allen and Parnes.

The authors then went on to blame Sanders and his supporters for dividing the party, Allen formerly worked for a PAC run by Wasserman Schultz

http://observer.com/2017/04/shattered-bernie-sanders-supporters-convention-protests/
Shadows
YaBB God
« Reply #62 on: May 05, 2017, 06:28:56 PM »

Shattered to become a TV Series

Source - NYT
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies