An interesting Pew survey
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:32:11 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: World politics is up Schmitt creek)
  An interesting Pew survey
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: An interesting Pew survey  (Read 1032 times)
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 12, 2017, 11:15:14 PM »

Just ran across this:

http://www.pewforum.org/2016/10/26/one-in-five-u-s-adults-were-raised-in-interfaith-homes

Lots of interesting data but one thing made pretty clear is that mixed marriages sure suck for transmitting "cultural Catholicism".
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2017, 08:59:21 PM »

That is interesting data, actually.  I didn't realize the "more responsible for your religious upbringing" question would be quite so gender-skewed.  Both my boyfriend and my mom grew up with one Protestant and one Catholic parent, but my mom was raised Catholic like her dad and my boyfriend was raised Catholic like his mom.  (Now neither of them is Catholic!  Nor is my boyfriend's mom anymore, for that matter.)
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2017, 11:51:15 PM »

Yeah I think this alone kind of debunks the idea that Catholicism is at least "sticker" than most other types of Christianity. In fact it appears Protestant families have better retention rates:

Yes, I know that "Protestant" is a much broader category and many of those people raised Protestant who still are are probably in different churches, and most Protestant churches probably have a lower individual retention rate than the Catholic numbers, but as also noted there's often not much difference between said Protestant churches too.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2017, 03:08:35 PM »

I wonder how much of these numbers with Catholics is due to lapsing/secularization/movement to mainline Protestantism or not-particularly-conservative Evangelicalism among whites and how much is due to Evangelical and Pentecostal conversion efforts among Hispanics. I'm not trying to imply anything by saying that, I'm genuinely curious.

I also think people are understating how important to a successful marriage they think shared politics is, considering that other studies (I'm afraid I can't cite them off the top of my head) have shown that political mixed marriages are actually becoming less common than religious mixed marriages these days.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2017, 09:28:01 PM »

Yes, I know that "Protestant" is a much broader category and many of those people raised Protestant who still are are probably in different churches, and most Protestant churches probably have a lower individual retention rate than the Catholic numbers, but as also noted there's often not much difference between said Protestant churches too.
For some high church Protestants, they'd likely find more in common with the Roman church than with a Baptist or a Pentecostal church.
RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2017, 11:20:04 PM »

I wonder how much of these numbers with Catholics is due to lapsing/secularization/movement to mainline Protestantism or not-particularly-conservative Evangelicalism among whites and how much is due to Evangelical and Pentecostal conversion efforts among Hispanics. I'm not trying to imply anything by saying that, I'm genuinely curious.

I also think people are understating how important to a successful marriage they think shared politics is, considering that other studies (I'm afraid I can't cite them off the top of my head) have shown that political mixed marriages are actually becoming less common than religious mixed marriages these days.

I wonder how much of this is just due to increased ideological sorting of the parties, though?  Someone who held socially liberal "cosmopolitan" views in the 1960's probably would be unlikely to marry someone who was reactionary/conservative for their day, even if they were both in the same party.  Today, there's a lot more homogeneity in beliefs amongst the two parties, so it seems like the signal of ideology's effect on marriage is just being picked up more strongly than it did in the past because the parties are more ideologically coherent. 
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies