HRC shirks blame for her loss & cites misogyny, Russia, Comey, Wikileaks !
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 07:20:59 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  HRC shirks blame for her loss & cites misogyny, Russia, Comey, Wikileaks !
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Author Topic: HRC shirks blame for her loss & cites misogyny, Russia, Comey, Wikileaks !  (Read 3384 times)
JerryArkansas
jerryarkansas
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: April 10, 2017, 05:24:33 AM »

Or I am tired of arguing with someone who doesn't want to listen, only push their agenda.  It could be that.  But think what you want, it seems to be the only way to please you people.
This account no longer in use.
cxs018
Junior Chimp

« Reply #51 on: April 10, 2017, 05:30:55 AM »

The election's over, who the hell cares?
JerryArkansas
jerryarkansas
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #52 on: April 10, 2017, 05:32:41 AM »

Seems like a lot of people on the far left do for some reason.
Phony Moderate
Obamaisdabest
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #53 on: April 10, 2017, 05:34:34 AM »

She may be right. But if she had been a good candidate then the election wouldn't have been close enough for those things to be able to swing it. Obama suffered racism, Joe the Plumber, 'lipstick on a pig' fiasco, Bill Ayers and Jeremiah Wright...but he was a good candidate so those things weren't able to lose it for him.
Phony Moderate
Obamaisdabest
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #54 on: April 10, 2017, 05:36:16 AM »

No one who is genuinely far-left ever gave a sh**t about that election or any other modern election.
Confused Democrat
reidmill
United States

« Reply #55 on: April 10, 2017, 05:45:46 AM »

Maybe because Donald Trump is President.
Fusionmunster

« Reply #56 on: April 10, 2017, 05:57:42 AM »

Its all true. Hillary was wronged on so many levels.
JerryArkansas
jerryarkansas
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #57 on: April 10, 2017, 06:00:24 AM »

Something which as a gay person living in Arkansas I'm reminded of almost every day of.
This account no longer in use.
cxs018
Junior Chimp

« Reply #58 on: April 10, 2017, 06:00:32 AM »

Why can't both the far left and the Hillary supporters be wrong?

No, it wasn't Bernie's fault. No, Hillary wasn't blaming him. Holy f---, calm down, people.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #59 on: April 10, 2017, 06:23:38 AM »

This has gotten to the point where I can seriously imagine millennials huddled around in a nursing home in 2066 still arguing about what cost Hillary the 2016 election.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ZthGh758pYY
Confused Democrat
reidmill
United States

« Reply #60 on: April 10, 2017, 06:36:52 AM »

Something which as a gay person living in Arkansas I'm reminded of almost every day of.

As a gay guy living in Florida, I feel your pain.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #61 on: April 10, 2017, 06:38:53 AM »

I've said it before, but Hillary ran a poor general election campaign. It was her decision to focus so much on Trump's negatives, thereby invoking the fallacy of relative filth. Regardless of whether it was justified, voters largely saw both candidates as filthy, so they based their votes on other issues. Trump's campaign focused on those far more than Hillary's. It also helped Trump that during the last month or so of the campaign, he was far more restrained than he had been before or since when it came to lashing out at every perceived slight against him. Clinton's campaign depended upon Trump being easily baited, and whether it was because he was too busy to bite or him actually demonstrating that he can be self-controlled when he wants to be (my vote is on the former) he wasn't taking the bait then.
Chief Justice Keef
etr906
United States

« Reply #62 on: April 10, 2017, 07:21:17 AM »

I'm sorry, but Clinton should should recognize her campaign's failure if she wants to earn more respect in people's eyes. Did all four of these things play a role in her loss? Maybe. But if she acknowledged what SHE did wrong, like not campaigning in Wisconsin or Michigan, it'd be a sign she, and the Democratic Party as a whole, wasn't stuck with the same hubris that plagued the general election and cost the left this election.
ApatheticAustrian
ApathicAustrian
Junior Chimp
Austria

« Reply #63 on: April 10, 2017, 07:28:24 AM »

i still think all the whining about how bad a candidate clinton was is overblown and "hindsight is 20/20"-ish.

if we look at the map we realize, obama's victory 2012 looked sometimes much more striking than it really was. he crushed romney in the PV but the EC difference was artitificially enlarged, even while his coalition once again voted in record numbers.

trump may have fired up his own base but he also energized the democrats and that was a big gamble. hillary may not be a charismstic genius like Bill/Obams was she was solid, knew her stuff, was a great counterpuncher in debates imho and generally as cool as they come.

hillary was not a good fit for this unusual election, cause obama's margins were sometimes small to start wih and trunp's fans are concentrated in a small number of close states. a big problem for democrats in the short term but more connected to the unique US voting system than hillary's general awfulness.

Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #64 on: April 10, 2017, 07:58:19 AM »

Or she perhaps she lost because we have a fundamentally flawed Constitution that allows for someone to win nationally by nearly 3,000,000 votes and still not assume the highest office.

Fyi, I'm not saying the election was cheated somehow, just that it's insane that we have a system that allows for such a result based on the vote that we had.

The Senate is way less democratic anyways. In fact, the Democrats won the Senate popular vote (over the last 3 elections) by a larger margin, 14 million votes (halve that for a direct comparison).
... If I said it's undemocratic that a majority of 2018 gubernatorial elections went Republican, despite the fact that the popular vote went Democratic(if this was hypothetically true), then would you understand just how stupid that argument is? Federalism is the great idea: Each individual state has a right to self-determination. This right to self-determination includes even the federal legislature. When the people of California vote 80% for a Democratic governor, does that mean many states that voted for a Republican Governor would then deserve a Democratic governor? This is the same way it works for the Senate.
ApatheticAustrian
ApathicAustrian
Junior Chimp
Austria

« Reply #65 on: April 10, 2017, 08:05:02 AM »

the us sys works ifc for the house/senate.

just the presidential level is anti-urban/anti-infrastructure and imho bollocks.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #66 on: April 10, 2017, 09:11:30 AM »
« Edited: April 10, 2017, 09:17:49 AM by Virginia »

Sorry, but we're voting for the president of the united states, not the president of California and New York. We need the electoral college for the other 48 states to have any real voice.

Since when do states like Wyoming and Idaho command actual attention and drive policy from presidential candidates? The electoral college puts a lot of focus on a small set of states, and it's likely a popular vote system would do the same but with different areas and types of areas. If both have shortcomings like this, we should at least go with the one that actually represents what most people want and not let politicians who can't even gather at least plurality support slither into office.

No one's stopping you from moving out of DC, assuming you have the finances to do so.

And nothing would be preventing people from moving out of Iowa, Kentucky, Wyoming (...) if we were to switch to PV.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #67 on: April 10, 2017, 09:21:43 AM »

Or she perhaps she lost because we have a fundamentally flawed Constitution that allows for someone to win nationally by nearly 3,000,000 votes and still not assume the highest office.

Fyi, I'm not saying the election was cheated somehow, just that it's insane that we have a system that allows for such a result based on the vote that we had.

Sorry, but we're voting for the president of the united states, not the president of California and New York. We need the electoral college for the other 48 states to have any real voice.

Well seeing as how the other 48 states cast over 80% of the votes I don't see that being a problem.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #68 on: April 10, 2017, 10:33:34 AM »

Misogyny?  Lol.  I don't hate wimin, just that woman.
The_Doctor
SilentCal1924

« Reply #69 on: April 10, 2017, 10:50:41 AM »
« Edited: April 10, 2017, 10:52:41 AM by TD »

While Comey, Russia, and Wikileaks all played a role, I don't really buy the misogyny charge. The vast majority of voters who changed their vote in 2016 were people who were white and had voted Obama in 2008 and 2012. Some were dormant Perot voters. The question is, why would they vote for a black man but not a white woman?

My theory is that these voters rejected the neoliberal dynastic Clinton who represented a different 1990s Democratic Party (despite her highly Progressive 2016 platform) and voted for a seemingly populist figure who broke from neoliberal thought in a couple of areas very visibly. They may express their economic anger in racial terms and even sexist terms but I feel Clinton was always a pretty vulnerable Democrat. I think it would've been a slightly bigger Republican win against someone organized and sane. (Popular vote win and maybe NH, NV added)
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #70 on: April 10, 2017, 11:08:50 AM »

Again, it was her race to lose all along and she managed to lose to Donald F-king Trump.

Let's just accept this and move on.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #71 on: April 10, 2017, 11:09:53 AM »

Again, it was her race to lose all along and she managed to lose to Donald F-king Trump.

Let's just accept this and move on.

Yep, she can come up with whatever excuse she wants for why she lost, but most people who don't blindly love her can see that a huge part of that loss was her being a bad candidate and running a very short-sighted and dumb campaign.
ApatheticAustrian
ApathicAustrian
Junior Chimp
Austria

« Reply #72 on: April 10, 2017, 11:13:27 AM »

you can totally blame her (with some merit), it's just not very fair, imho, calling her an especially bad candidate.

those usually lose the PV and don't need stuff which happens one time in 30 years to lose.

RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #73 on: April 10, 2017, 11:15:33 AM »

you can totally blame her (with some merit), it's just not very fair, imho, calling her an especially bad candidate.

those usually lose the PV and don't need stuff which happens one time in 30 years to lose.

Yeah, but this was clearly a unique situation, and I suspect Hillary can do math, no?  Did she not see the importance in winning the states that put Trump over the top EC-wise?  So, she either BADLY miscalculated that she could win those states with different voters (i.e., the much criticized strategy of turning more moderate and affluent Republicans into Hillary voters) or didn't realize those states' importance to her winning the election...
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #74 on: April 10, 2017, 11:17:33 AM »

Yeah, but this was clearly a unique situation, and I suspect Hillary can do math, no?  Did she not see the importance in winning the states that put Trump over the top EC-wise?  So, she either BADLY miscalculated that she could win those states with different voters (i.e., the much criticized strategy of turning more moderate and affluent Republicans into Hillary voters) or didn't realize those states' importance to her winning the election...
I think it's this an to be fair to her most thought that too, Hillary was doing well with moderates in most polling
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies