Dem Convention

(1/4) > >>

Gustaf:
Now this might be me not knowing enough about US politics again, but here goes a few questions about the Dem primary:

Dean seem to be polling at roughly 30% in the Dem primary. There is proportional allocation in most states. Shoudn't this make it hard for the man to capture an absolute majority of the delegates? Secondly, what happens to the delegates for candidates who later drop out? Do they switch their alignment or what?  

© tweed:
Quote from: Gustaf on December 29, 2003, 10:10:02 AM

Now this might be me not knowing enough about US politics again, but here goes a few questions about the Dem primary:

Dean seem to be polling at roughly 30% in the Dem primary. There is proportional allocation in most states. Shoudn't this make it hard for the man to capture an absolute majority of the delegates? Secondly, what happens to the delegates for candidates who later drop out? Do they switch their alignment or what?  

I think what happens is when the other candidates drop dead in the primary, they release their delagates and they will gon to the nominee, most likely.  Also, when the nomination is decided, Dean will get all of the delagates from the states that he is the only candidate.

Gustaf:
Quote from: Miamiu1027 on December 29, 2003, 10:11:25 AM

Quote from: Gustaf on December 29, 2003, 10:10:02 AM

I think what happens is when the other candidates drop dead in the primary, they release their delagates and they will gon to the nominee, most likely.  Also, when the nomination is decided, Dean will get all of the delagates from the states that he is the only candidate.

But then you are assuming that it will be decided when the convention comes around. What if we get a Reagan-Ford situation and it actually goes the whole way, with two or more candidates in the running upto the convention? It does seem more likely to happen than in a number of previous instances.  

© tweed:
No, you know who the nominee is way before the convention.  even if Dean only has a handful of delagates by Feb. 3, he can be declared the winner.  This is because Dean will be the only candidate left on the remaining states except for a jerk like LaRouche, who usually releases his delagates before the convention.

Gustaf:
Quote from: Miamiu1027 on December 29, 2003, 10:18:15 AM

No, you know who the nominee is way before the convention.  even if Dean only has a handful of delagates by Feb. 3, he can be declared the winner.  This is because Dean will be the only candidate left on the remaining states except for a jerk like LaRouche, who usually releases his delagates before the convention.

But what other candidates stay on the ballot after Feb. 3 b/c they still think they have a chance? Or is that impossible?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page