Pataki Won't Run for Governor in 2006
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 02:54:21 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Pataki Won't Run for Governor in 2006
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: Pataki Won't Run for Governor in 2006  (Read 5451 times)
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.88, S: 1.59

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: July 30, 2005, 07:05:49 AM »

By the way I think everyone whining about Guiliani is pretty foolish to automatically assume it's because he wants to run for president. Even he should be aware he has no chance. Rather he probably simply is done with politics, which wouldn't be suprising, as no NYC mayor since the 20s has won higher office later.

Giuliani is the one person who could break the NYC mayor's curse, if he goes for the right office.  Normally, being a NYC mayor is political poison for the rest of the state, not to mention the country at large.  Giuliani emerged from the job as mayor more popular in the rest of the state than in the city, due largely to his sharply more conservative record than is typical for a NYC mayor, coupled with his reaction to Sept. 11.  He is also, incredibly, a former NYC mayor who can be sent to campaign for Republican candidates in South Carolina.

Still, I agree he doesn't have a shot at the presidency.  I think he might if he went for the governorship and took more moderate stances on social issues, closer to the GOP base.  He could start making a transition closer to a pro-life stand on abortion, as an example, and his past "sins" could be overlooked based upon his strong conservative record in other areas, such as welfare reform and fighting crime.  But he needs time, and a forum to make these transitions.  I also think he needs a higher office as a bridge to the presidency in any case, that a jump from mayor to president is too big a leap.

I guess he's got better minds than mine advising him, or else maybe he is just stubborn, as Smash says.
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #51 on: July 30, 2005, 09:35:05 AM »

Well, I look forward to seeing Spitzer move in to the Governor's Mansion. In the not so distant future, Pataki won't be so much a 'has been' more a 'never was' Wink.

Dave
YRABNNRM
YoungRepub
Atlas Icon
United States
Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: -6.09

« Reply #52 on: July 30, 2005, 02:02:00 PM »

In the not so distant future, Pataki won't be so much a 'has been' more a 'never was' Wink.

Wrong.
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.88, S: 1.59

« Reply #53 on: July 30, 2005, 02:15:30 PM »

In the not so distant future, Pataki won't be so much a 'has been' more a 'never was' Wink.

Dave

Pataki did some very good things in his first term as governor.  It's a shame that he didn't persevere, and was content to rest on his laurels.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #54 on: July 30, 2005, 03:09:04 PM »

By the way I think everyone whining about Guiliani is pretty foolish to automatically assume it's because he wants to run for president. Even he should be aware he has no chance. Rather he probably simply is done with politics, which wouldn't be suprising, as no NYC mayor since the 20s has won higher office later.

Giuliani is the one person who could break the NYC mayor's curse, if he goes for the right office.  Normally, being a NYC mayor is political poison for the rest of the state, not to mention the country at large.  Giuliani emerged from the job as mayor more popular in the rest of the state than in the city, due largely to his sharply more conservative record than is typical for a NYC mayor, coupled with his reaction to Sept. 11.  He is also, incredibly, a former NYC mayor who can be sent to campaign for Republican candidates in South Carolina.

Still, I agree he doesn't have a shot at the presidency.  I think he might if he went for the governorship and took more moderate stances on social issues, closer to the GOP base.  He could start making a transition closer to a pro-life stand on abortion, as an example, and his past "sins" could be overlooked based upon his strong conservative record in other areas, such as welfare reform and fighting crime.  But he needs time, and a forum to make these transitions.  I also think he needs a higher office as a bridge to the presidency in any case, that a jump from mayor to president is too big a leap.

I guess he's got better minds than mine advising him, or else maybe he is just stubborn, as Smash says.

Rudy is VERY Pro-Choice, he was against the bill banning PBA.  I very seriously doubt he would take a more pro-life position.  That is something I just don't see happening,

If he would run for Govenor he could win against Spitzer, I doubt he would be able to beat Clinton in a Senate run though.  (Most polls for Gov showed him ahaed by a few points, but trailing Clinton by 8-10 points or so)
YRABNNRM
YoungRepub
Atlas Icon
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #55 on: July 30, 2005, 05:01:56 PM »

Dave

Pataki did some very good things in his first term as governor.  It's a shame that he didn't persevere, and was content to rest on his laurels.

Exactly. Dazzleman, you seem to know exactly what I want to say Tongue
YRABNNRM
YoungRepub
Atlas Icon
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #56 on: August 02, 2005, 09:59:13 AM »

From Politics1:

NEW YORK: It's been less than a week since Governor George Pataki (R) announced he won't seek re-election next year and the GOP in-fighting has already begun. A spokesman for Secretary of State Randy Daniels (R) -- one potential Pataki replacement -- told the New York Post that State GOP Chair Steve Minarik is actively working to block Daniels from running next year, possibly for racist reasons. "Nobody understands what Steve Minarik's problem is with Randy Daniels. Is Randy too honest? Is he too independent? Or is he too Black," asked the Daniels camp. Responded Minarik: "That's absolutely ridiculous and offensive. The problem I have with Randy Daniels is that he has less than 5 percent name recognition with the public and he doesn't have any money." Minarik and others have been actively trying to recruit billionaire businessman Tom Golisano into the GOP race -- even though Golisano has already spent millions on three consecutive failed gubernatorial races as a third party candidate.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies