ND-SEN: But you are, Blanche, you are
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 06:03:28 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  ND-SEN: But you are, Blanche, you are
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 47
Author Topic: ND-SEN: But you are, Blanche, you are  (Read 107420 times)
Coraxion
Ethiopia

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: July 01, 2017, 10:08:32 PM »

Omg. That thread is priceless.
_
Not_Madigan
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.29, S: -7.74

« Reply #51 on: July 01, 2017, 10:10:29 PM »

ND loved Trump, Cramer seems right up their alley.

They have to choose between Heitkamp and Trump, MT seems to be betting that they side with Heitkamp.  I'm going to wait and hope the Candidate isn't Cramer, he seems like Todd Akin's North Dakotan cousin.

Also the ND 2012 thread is pretty funny, so many people thinking OH WE AUTOMATICALLY WIN BEACUSE ITS GOP IN PRESIDENTIAL ELECTIONS!
PragmaticPopulist
Ireland, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -5.57

« Reply #52 on: July 01, 2017, 10:14:54 PM »

Sure, we had a fully Democratic congressional delegation, but it's not because we were a swing state...

The margins by which Dorgan and Conrad managed to win their elections are quite astounding, though. Dorgan nearly got 70% of the vote in 2004, but I'm sure someone on Atlas would have considered him vulnerable because of Bush coattails and how the state votes in presidential races. In SD, the GOP couldn't even beat Johnson in 2002 despite the fact that Bush had like a 70%+ approval rating in the state. They threw everything but the kitchen sink at Daschle only to eke out a 1-point win (Thune ran an impressive campaign, obviously).

The Dakotas have been incredibly loyal to the Democrats at the Congressional level... well, until 2010, at least. Tongue Now the only bright spot for you is Heitkamp's seat. I think she'll win by a surprisingly wide margin, though - maybe not by as much as Dorgan or Conrad, but a 15- to 20-point win is definitely possible, especially if the ND GOP nominates a joke candidate. I'd be really shocked if she lost, in all honesty.

Btw: This thread is really hilarious in hindsight. Shows you why the GOP can't take any open seat for granted, especially in a state like ND. So before anyone assumes that this will be the easiest pickup opportunity for the GOP...

Before Republicans start counting chickens, let's at least see how the race shapes up. This things can turn out surprising. If Heidi Heitkamp gets in, she can actually make it a race.
I never quite understood how Conrad and Dorgan would win reelection by such large margins. Maybe it's that its hard now to see so many downballot crossover votes there were back then. I realize the plains states have a relatively recent history of supporting democrats at the congressional level, but that seemed to end after Obama was elected. The only Democrat to win in North Dakota (or any plains state) after 2008 was Heitkamp, who was well-known, and had a weak opponent.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #53 on: July 02, 2017, 03:20:39 PM »

Ye gods, how is it possible that such a Republican state could have such an overwhelmingly terrible Republican bench?

It hasn't been Republican for terribly long. People have to remember that the upper plains only started turning blood-red in the 1990s, and that's taken pretty long to filter up to the federal level.

Isn't the whole reason there are two Dakotas that the Republican-controlled US Congress of the late 19th century wanted to add two Republican-leaning states to the union (and four Republican senators to the Senate)?
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #54 on: July 02, 2017, 03:25:26 PM »

Apparently the politics surrounding the division of the Dakota Territory and its admission into the United States were Disney-fied into a musical film called The One and Only, Genuine, Original Family Band in the 1960s.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #55 on: July 02, 2017, 03:33:28 PM »

Ye gods, how is it possible that such a Republican state could have such an overwhelmingly terrible Republican bench?

It hasn't been Republican for terribly long. People have to remember that the upper plains only started turning blood-red in the 1990s, and that's taken pretty long to filter up to the federal level.

Isn't the whole reason there are two Dakotas that the Republican-controlled US Congress of the late 19th century wanted to add two Republican-leaning states to the union (and four Republican senators to the Senate)?

Yes, but this was a bit of a miscalculation right before the rise of (the original) Populism -- both states were competitive in their first two elections, 1892/1896.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #56 on: July 03, 2017, 06:18:51 PM »

He's not wrong...
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #57 on: July 04, 2017, 03:58:03 AM »

Democrats would be making a mistake to think anyone outside of the most out-of-touch people imaginable care about Mika Brzezinski.
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.48, S: -1.83

« Reply #58 on: July 04, 2017, 02:01:15 PM »

Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #59 on: July 05, 2017, 12:05:34 AM »

Democrats would be making a mistake to think anyone outside of the most out-of-touch people imaginable care about Mika Brzezinski.

So would Republicans.
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
« Reply #60 on: July 05, 2017, 12:23:49 PM »

Cramer's got a huge ego. I think he's going to run and lose.
Kamala
Madagascar

« Reply #61 on: July 05, 2017, 01:26:15 PM »

More evidence Republicans are scared of Heidi.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #62 on: July 05, 2017, 03:50:34 PM »

So would Republicans.

Making fun of the most elite of media elites fires up the Republican base more than defending them fires up the Democrats.
Cactus Jack
azcactus
United States

« Reply #63 on: July 05, 2017, 03:54:39 PM »

So would Republicans.

Making fun of the most elite of media elites fires up the Republican base more than defending them fires up the Democrats.

I'm not sure if it would play quite as well in North Dakota as it would in more inherently Trumpist states. He may have won the state by a colossal margin, but I suspect that had more to do with Clinton's unpopularity in the state than it did with North Dakotans fervently agreeing with his positions or antagonism toward the media.

Of course, I can't say for sure. I don't even live in the region, let alone the state.
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -7.30

« Reply #64 on: July 05, 2017, 04:06:48 PM »

That story is hilarious.
Ye We Can
Mumph

« Reply #65 on: July 05, 2017, 05:07:23 PM »

To echo most of the replies in this thread I don't think attacking certain talk show hosts as elitists is going to hurt in North Dakota, considering it's trends last year.
Kamala
Madagascar

« Reply #66 on: July 05, 2017, 05:18:39 PM »

"Dakota Nice" is a thing, guys. It's not as famous as Minnesota Nice, but we're decent people too.
Shameless Lefty Hack
Chickenhawk

« Reply #67 on: July 05, 2017, 07:05:17 PM »

"Dakota Nice" is a thing, guys. It's not as famous as Minnesota Nice, but we're decent people too.

I think it has a multiplier effect - once when I was travelling in Minnesota I stayed with a couple who had been in St. Paul for some time but were born and raised in East River. It was truly overwhelming.
Coraxion
Ethiopia

« Reply #68 on: July 06, 2017, 09:27:41 AM »

Democratic Hold
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -7.30

« Reply #69 on: July 06, 2017, 11:33:21 AM »

I know we've disagreed, but this seems like the next GOP recruitment failure.
Heisenberg
SecureAmerica
United States

« Reply #70 on: July 06, 2017, 12:07:39 PM »

I don't think recruitment failure is even the word, this was a lost cause from day one.
TheSaint250
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -2.84, S: 5.22

P P
« Reply #71 on: July 06, 2017, 12:14:02 PM »

Why is she bad? I'm not familiar with her
Kamala
Madagascar

« Reply #72 on: July 06, 2017, 12:17:19 PM »

Why is she bad? I'm not familiar with her
Neither are North Dakotans.
_
Not_Madigan
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.29, S: -7.74

« Reply #73 on: July 06, 2017, 01:16:04 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.
You must be logged in to read this quote.

If Cramer not running is a recruitment failure then we don't even have a dead dog on our ND Bench.  Here's how I see Cramer's senate run going, he gets into his little clown car, turns on the ignition, starts driving and after 2 minutes the car explodes.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #74 on: July 06, 2017, 01:59:46 PM »

This is a race where the GOP should've been able to go to the North Dakota State Senate, grab the first warm body they can, and say "You're the candidate". Neset seems like a Plan D or E type candidate.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 47  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies